The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
Hello from PA !

My name is Dan, I am 35. From Sturges, PA [outside of Scranton, PA] EMT-MAST. Been doing this since I was 18 years old. My father and uncle got me into this when I was a kid when they volunteered for an ambulance. I currently work for a private ambulance service as a dispatcher, I also volunteer and is a life member of the Archbald Community Ambulance and Rescue Squad. In my spare time I like photography [film], HAM radio operator, watching baseball, football and hockey. I used to also volunteer as a firefighter, but have been inactive from that for a few years. Still love doing this, I wouldn't change it for the world !

AFGuy1227

Forum Ride Along
Hello from Alaska

My name's Carl, I'm Active Duty Air Force stationed at Eielson AFB, AK. My AF job is Electrical Power Production, I operate power plants and generators. I'll hopefully be starting my EMT-1 classes on 10 Nov and volunteering with the local fire department in the near future.

ChrisFreeman1

Forum Ride Along
Hey, My name is Chris, Im a senior in High school, and Im starting EMT school in january. I have always like helping people, so I thought this would be a good field to go into. Im very excited also becuase Im a senior, I get in for free, so cant complain there. Any tips?

Chris

bree

Forum Ride Along
hey there :)
i'm bree. i am a student at long beach state, and i will be starting my emt classes this january. i am hoping to get hired on with either L.A. county, or L.A. city, or Orange county. i am just here for advice, tips, and knowledge :)

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone!

I'm Paul, I'm 18 (as of March '09) and live in Prince William County, VA. I'm incredibly broke and struggling to go to school. I'm interested in joining a station and getting trained to be an EMT-B. The volunteer station near me pays for all of my training/gear, so I figure it's a good thing to do right now while I'm young and while I'm not bogged down with too many responsibilities, especially since I'm not really working or going to school right now full-time.

I'm not sure what prompted this, I just feel like I've been so useless since I graduated high school, I think this will help fill the void that's left when most of your time is filled with minimum wage work and less-than-full-time-enrollment at community college. (not that minimum wage/community college isn't a valid path that I respect greatly, I just think I'm coming home at night with too much energy! Might as well spend it volunteering!?)

I hope this forum stays active and will help me out as I'm going through the paces of getting EMT-B.

For starters, what should I look for in a station? When it comes to picking one out? There are several volunteer stations near me, and I believe that they all pay for training/gear.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
For starters, what should I look for in a station? When it comes to picking one out? There are several volunteer stations near me, and I believe that they all pay for training/gear.

Call the ones near you and see if you can go on some ridealongs. If they want an interview with your application, ask some questions. See how professional they are, how seriously they take it, and so on. Choose the one you like best. Look at call volume, too--how much sleep do you want to lose?

Remember that you don't need to volunteer within your county, although that's probably more convenient in most cases. It might not hurt to look at neighboring counties and cities too.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
Call the ones near you and see if you can go on some ridealongs. If they want an interview with your application, ask some questions. See how professional they are, how seriously they take it, and so on. Choose the one you like best. Look at call volume, too--how much sleep do you want to lose?

Remember that you don't need to volunteer within your county, although that's probably more convenient in most cases. It might not hurt to look at neighboring counties and cities too.

How do I go about asking those questions? I don't know if I feel right about interviewing the stations that will be interviewing me! :p after all! I'm trying to volunteer! lol

Also, it's important to me that I stay in PWC though. I don't really want to get into why that is though...

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
How do I go about asking those questions? I don't know if I feel right about interviewing the stations that will be interviewing me! :p after all! I'm trying to volunteer! lol

Also, it's important to me that I stay in PWC though. I don't really want to get into why that is though...

You start by finding your county's volunteer office (if it has one), or the station websites (I imagine most stations do have them), and see if they're looking for volunteers. Most vollie stations are always looking for volunteers, so they're usually glad to hear from you. Then you fill out an application or come in for an interview or take a fitness test... different places do it different ways, and some don't do all of those.

In any good interview, the interviewer will ask whether you have any questions at the end. This is when you ask, respectfully. To do so shows that you're really curious and excited about the place--it's not rude unless your questions themselves are rude, or you aren't polite about asking.

Obviously, you want to observe whether they're professional, not actually ask... ;) Just ask a few simple things about operations, protocols, and so on if you really don't have any other questions. You just want to watch their general attitude and what they say.

Probably won't hurt to google your possible stations, too. If you know anyone in fire, see what they think.

JoeSchmo

Forum Probie
Hey there..I am Joey... living in Allen TX.
Currently in EMT-B course, and taking my fill skills testing and final exam this week.
I have applied to Paramedic school and have my interview today. Very nervousd about the exams and the interview.
Very excited to do the clinicals for EMT-B, and going onto Paramedic school!

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
new here

Hi I am nicole and i am starting my emt course in Jan 10. I am a stay at home mom and really looking forward to this course.

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
Hello

I just want to introduce myself, I am starting my EMT-B course in January. I think that EMS is a very interesting field and I look forward to my course.

Shieldheart

Forum Probie
Hey all,

I'm a first-year paramedical student at Humber College in Canada. Pleased to discover such an active paramedic board!

Shamrock

Forum Ride Along
Howdy Everybody,

I am currently in Waterloo, Ontario finishing an Undergrad studying Neuropsychology. I had the opportunity to take two years off school and work in South Eastern BC as a paid-on-call F/F and member of a Mine Rescue team. I was able to complete a BC Surface Mine Rescue ticket as well as an EMP-III (BC & AB OFA III equiv).

As I near Graduation I am evaluating my differing options. I had intentions of returning to the business career-path (CMA) I left before moving out west and changed my mind the first glance I had at an office again!

I am going to collect as much information as I can and decide the best way to continue to serve the Fire Service and/or begin a career in pre-hospital care.
Sham/

eluwak

Forum Ride Along
Hello all!

I am a recently laid off Systems Engineer that's looking at a career change. 4 years ago I took and passed the EMT-B course at a local CC, but never took the exam mostly due to the inability to figure out what I would do with it. I had started with the intention of being a volunteer at one of the local county stations but after my first FD shift I found out that the scheduling just wouldn't work with my regular job. I stuck with the class because I really liked it.

Now that I have no regular job I'm ready to change. I don't think I'll be able to get in a Spring class but I'm gonna see what I can come up with.

See y'all around!

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
I'm Sam,

Just got my EMT-B cert the other day in the great state of MA! I'm a college student and really looking forward to working in EMS! Also a volunteer FF, and now I'm considering Paramedic school too haha. Really glad I found a forum like this since I haven't met many other EMTs my age!

Angel

Paramedic
Just saying hello!
you can call me Angel, im 20 currently in my last few weeks of school, cant wait to be done and take the NREMT and get to working!! I will probably continue on to Medic school in a few years. im pretty open to questions and comments, I have a lot to learn and looking forward to doing so!

zmedic

Forum Captain
Yo. Thought I'd say hi. I finally let my EMT go after 7 years as a WEMT and 8 as an EMT, but I'm a fourth year medical student who is going to do EM and probably end up as a medical director so thought I'd keep an eye on what was new.

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
I don't believe I've ever posted any info about myself. I was a volunteer firefighter for 32 years, retiring last January due to ill health. I was a First Responder for 18 of those years. I still attend the monthly meetings as much as possible, just to stay in touch. A scanner runs in my den every waking moment.

My career employment was in the school bus industry for 32 years, starting a year before joining the fire service. I am now disabled, on 02 24/7 and the Internet keeps me from going insane (or maybe contributes to it). Just can't seem to get the sirens out of my ears or the yellow paint out of my blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

tacorican

Forum Ride Along
Hello

My name is Thanh. I'm back in school re-taking the EMT Course (Next week is my last week in class) to renew my EMT License that expired in Jan 07:rolleyes:. This time around I'm hoping to land a job in EMS for a change in career and eventually get into a Paramedic program somewhere near my area.

JOSH

Forum Probie
Hello to all!!!!!

My name is Josh I'm 22 y/o and not married. I recently took the Emt-B and did a wonderful job. MY goal is to be a Flight Medic but for right now an Emt would be fine. Also I'm Vol. Firefighter and have been for about 3 yrs . Ultimantly goal in life "Is to save lives"

Last edited by a moderator: