The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

medic417

The Truth Provider
"Whacker" googled comes up with this definition:

n.

1. One who whacks. [Colloq.]

:lol: What's a whacker tradition?

Whacker is a term for someone that has no life but EMS. They buy everything EMS. They get EMS tats. They get lights and sirens on personal cars.

Here is one I got when I googled.

"Whacker (noun): Any EMT, Firefighter, Rescue Worker

who enjoys his job simply for the pleasure of...

A. Hearing their own voice on the radio
B. Using lights and sirens on the ambulance/fire truck
C. Using lights and sirens on their personal vehicle
D. A life time subscription to Galls because of the sheer amount of stuff ordered from them
E. Having more stuff on their work belt then Batman
F. Only showing up (whether they were dispatched or not) for the 'good calls'(car rollovers, structure fires, High angle rescues)
G. once in while having patient contact
H. Wearing anything that has their fire company on it so they can get 50% off in stores or food
I. Wearing their Class A uniforms to parades and to public events
J. Driving around with a bumper sticker that says... "My wife said ‘if I go to the fire house one more time I'm going to leave you'...boy I'm going to miss her..."
K. Taking their lunch break and going to the fire house
J. Calling their favorite Rig or engine "my baby"
L. Sneaking out of their house at 2:30 in the morning so they can go wax their "BABY"
M. Having pictures at work of their "BABY" and keeping the pictures of their real children at home
N. Having at least one room full of Fire and EMS stuff
O. When on vacation visiting the local Fire and EMS departments"

builtftuff

Forum Ride Along
My Intro

Hey all,

I'm David, I'm glad to be part of the ems field and I am an outdoors man by heart and trying to achieve a fire tech degree and a fire fighter medic job. I hope to have a lot of fun!

emstim84

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys...I'm Tim (as you probably figured out by my screen name :p), 24 years old, and currently going to UC Davis and paramedic school at NCTI in Roseville, California. I've worked as an EMT-B for a little over a year before deciding to go to paramedic school. You're probably wondering why I'm doing two schools at once as it appears to be insanity...well, yeah, it is. Basically, I was pre-med, decided I like EMS, and now I'm working on becoming a paramedic to kick start my career in EMS. I'm doing UCD at the same time because I only have two years left to get my bachelor degree so at this point I might as well finish. I decided to do both schools at once because I refuse to spend two more years at UCD then graduate only to go back to school again for the next year and a half.

At this point, I'm not quite sure what I plan to do in the future. I could still end up going to medical school some day, but for the time being, I want to work as a street medic with a 911 provider and maybe become a CCTEMT-P or a flight medic once I get a good amount of experience under my belt. I'm also considering moving to Texas because it's just too damn expensive to live out here in California and the scope of practice sucks. Anyway, that's about all I can think of.

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
Another New Face!

I'm currently an unlicensed former EMT, but am taking steps to change that. I was an EMT for 12 years. I've worked some of the roughest neighborhoods in the metro Detroit area.

I look forward to logical discussions; and hopefully, I'll learn something along the way!

WiFi_Cowgirl

Forum Crew Member
Howdy y'all! Sitting in a mall parking lot as we, speak. No. Type. Yeah, that's it. Sapping wireless off of Starbucks. It's free, dontcha know, but I absolutely hate the smell of coffee. I googled "EMT Websites", and whattaya know, I found lots of boredom relief! EMS Responder, Firehouse, NREMT, FOOPS, EMT City and EMT Life. My life is EMS, and EMS is my life. I eat, sleep, dream and wake for EMS, it's all I know, I think I'd probably kill myself, if I couldn't work in EMS. I have no life to speak of what so ever, no social skills, and I pretty much live for everything first aid, ems, blue, or with stars of life.

I'm a paid EMT, and also a volunteer, in fact, I'm a live in.. So, I even live in the same building as the ambulance. How cool is that? I guess I can say that I sleep with EMS too! :blush:

Lots of Love - Peace out EMS Homies!

Hilda

medic417

The Truth Provider
Howdy y'all! Sitting in a mall parking lot as we, speak. No. Type. Yeah, that's it. Sapping wireless off of Starbucks. It's free, dontcha know, but I absolutely hate the smell of coffee. I googled "EMT Websites", and whattaya know, I found lots of boredom relief! EMS Responder, Firehouse, NREMT, FOOPS, EMT City and EMT Life. My life is EMS, and EMS is my life. I eat, sleep, dream and wake for EMS, it's all I know, I think I'd probably kill myself, if I couldn't work in EMS. I have no life to speak of what so ever, no social skills, and I pretty much live for everything first aid, ems, blue, or with stars of life.

I'm a paid EMT, and also a volunteer, in fact, I'm a live in.. So, I even live in the same building as the ambulance. How cool is that? I guess I can say that I sleep with EMS too! :blush:

Lots of Love - Peace out EMS Homies!

Hilda

Definitly a whacker as defined on this page .

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Definitly a whacker as defined on this page .

Well, I don't care for the "whacker" definition, but I do wonder if this is a troll in the works. Some of her other comments on other threads have raised my eyebrows.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Well, I don't care for the "whacker" definition, but I do wonder if this is a troll in the works. Some of her other comments on other threads have raised my eyebrows.

I've seen nothing trollish about this new whacker. But we shall see.

WiFi_Cowgirl

Forum Crew Member
How awful! Is it wrong to be different? I'm just being myself, I think your judgement is awful quick. Judge, jury and executioner? If you don't want new members, then you shouldn't allow people to join. I'm sorry that your jury here doesn't approve of me.

medic417

The Truth Provider
How awful! Is it wrong to be different? I'm just being myself, I think your judgement is awful quick. Judge, jury and executioner? If you don't want new members, then you shouldn't allow people to join. I'm sorry that your jury here doesn't approve of me.

Jury is still out we'll decide later(just kidding). As stated I never noticed anything trollish about your posts. Enjoy the site. Seems many whackers abound here.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

Please pardon my thought that you might be trolling on this site. Some of your posts seemed to me ones to provoke arguments.

As far as the whacker term, I've been opposed to this word / definition and have echoed my thoughts about this on another thread.

Welcome!!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Please pardon my thought that you might be trolling on this site. Some of your posts seemed to me ones to provoke arguments.

As far as the whacker term, I've been opposed to this word / definition and have echoed my thoughts about this on another thread.

Welcome!!

Sorry you do not approve. But sorry when someone lives and breathes EMS this is just a term to describe.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Sorry you do not approve. But sorry when someone lives and breathes EMS this is just a term to describe.

I see your point that this is a "term to describe" and I should have better clarified my position. What I've taken exception to in past threads is the bullying that seems to go hand in hand with someone being tagged a whacker. So much in my experience that I've dubbed the word as somewhat offensive here on EMTLIFE.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Hi my name is Cheryl, I will be 29 next month. I have been around for a little while but i see there are so many new people here. I just finished my basic class last week now waiting for my instructor to set up my ride a long so I can take the NREMT. I have 4 boys and a step daughter. My husband is transitioning from Army National Guard to Regular active duty. We should have our new duty station in the next couple weeks I hope. I look forward to working in the ems feild. I tried the medical asst. thing for awhile (boring) I want to feel like I make a diffrence. I am also a member of my local Cert team.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Jury is still out we'll decide later(just kidding). As stated I never noticed anything trollish about your posts. Enjoy the site. Seems many whackers abound here.

Well that post about a fake accident maybe a little trollish.

reaper

Working Bum
I see your point that this is a "term to describe" and I should have better clarified my position. What I've taken exception to in past threads is the bullying that seems to go hand in hand with someone being tagged a whacker. So much in my experience that I've dubbed the word as somewhat offensive here on EMTLIFE.

I think it is meant to be offensive!

A36

Forum Probie
Good place for my first post

I'm Tom. I live in Greenville SC, but I'm originally from Boston where I was an EMT-B for 2 years. I'm not working in EMS now due to reciprocity issues (long story) but hope to get back and eventually go to paramedic school. Never thought I'd miss EMS but I do. This break won't last too long.

reaper

Working Bum
Why don't you PM me with the problems you are having with your reciprocity. I might be able to help you some.

NebraskanPrincess

Forum Probie
My official name is Whitney. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a princess. My tiara days are long gone, I'm afraid. Still a sucker for Cinderella, though *sigh*. I'm 22 and have been an EMT-B for 6 months now, which means I'm a big EMS baby in experience. I'm studying to be a P, but licensing won't happen for another 1.5 years, so I'm hoping to acquire experience in the meantime! My goal is to become a good B before I make the leap to P - let's hope my boss agrees!

I'm a recent graduate of a liberal arts college where I studied religion with emphasis in Christian Ministry and Pastoral Care. Along with my REL courses, I took a lot of therapy courses. Coupled with the loss of my 15-year-old sister in a rollover two years ago, I am a grief counselor and spiritual director to many in the area. I could have had a Professional Accounting major as well, but there was an issue with a very rude woman professor who hated other women... and I'm a stubborn, principled girl.

I was due to attend Vanderbilt Divinity/Medical on a full-ride to pursue my Masters of Divinity and Masters of Science in Nursing, but I declined it a whole week before I was to move. My parents think I'm insane and they're likely correct, but there's something about EMS that fulfills my heart in ways ordination just doesn't right now. The church confirmed my call from God to be an ordained minister, however, so that means I'm stalked on a continual basis and asked tough questions like, "Why are you ignoring God?" Knife to the heart, that is :)

I live with my dog in an awesome apartment built circa WWII. My dog's name is Tucker, he's a Yorkie, and he would be the station dog if he'd be a bit braver. As it was the last time, everyone laughed because the grass was too cold for him to stand in. We're taking baby steps on that one!

I work full-time on an ALS service that serves two counties, which equals a lot of itty bitty rural areas in Nebraska language. It's fun, though. While all my co-workers do not dance with my in the bay while we do truck checks, I believe they're warming up to the idea. :)

In my spare time between work, class, and clinicals, I bartend occasionally or work in the ER. I'm vegetarian (I know, in the beef state, yada yada) and love to cook. I've done a lot of volunteer work internationally (Mexico, Guatemala, Africa) and worked for the World Council of Churches in Geneva, Switzerland for awhile. I like to cook and make bagels regularly for the station (I'm a popular girl).

My weakness: Fighters, policemen, military men... sigh. Men in uniforms. I chose the wrong profession because I work with them all the time. It's horrible. I'm relieved that my service's uniforms do nothing for me, but I've made the very mature decision to NEVER become a FFmedic. Nothing against the profession, I just couldn't be sane watching the boys run around all the day in their fire suits. We all have flaws - this is mine. Maybe if there's an all-female service somewhere I could work with them.