The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Griff

Forum Crew Member
Hey people, friends call me Freels, I'm 19, college student at UNC Wilmington. Currently taking EMT-B course at cape fear college while also full time pre-nursing courses at wilmington.

Cool, I lived on College Rd. for about five years before moving out of NC. How do you like the area? I haven't been back in 10 years ^_^

emtidon

Forum Ride Along
Hi My name is don i've been in ems for about 10 to 12 years.I started as BLS for 2 yearsand then took the I-85 class.I've been an I for about 8 years now i think.

ertech

Forum Probie
hello to all

Hi there,my name is Jason,I live in a suburb of Atlanta,Ga.I currently work as a ER tech in a North Atl hospital and have done so for the last 4 years.I am currently in school to become a EMT-I and will take registry in June of this year.I actually successfully completed EMT-I in 2004,but was never registered.Its a long story.I look forward to interactions with this site as it looks as if there is ton of helpful information to be had.

olpopmv

Forum Ride Along
Happy to meet you

Hi, I'm Viv, a volunteer EMT-B on Martha's Vineyard in MA. I certified last June and have done less than 20 runs due to the fact that I work full time and the area we cover is much too large for me to get to some of the calls from home.
I just turned 60 - so it's exciting to be doing something so different and useful.

RN68106

Forum Ride Along
I am totally new to this, so bear with me. I am 25, married (yes he's a FF), have a beautiful, okay, handsome son, and I am deathly afraid to run my first code by myself. There I said it. (But I coded my own father at home and knew exactly what to do. Sometimes I don't get my own logic. I get to the end somehow).:wacko:

I have been in EMS for roughly 10 years, mostly as a EMT-B (or professional band-aid sticker as we call ourselves in this area (a lot of protocol changes have been made over the past several years since I started and have essentally made the EMT's skill level, well band-aid stickers)) and now as a PHRN. Simply put, I am a RN with the capability to do all that a NREMT-P does, except I can give blood and abx. WOW. :rolleyes: PA is the only state that allows this and I privledged to be one of them (catching my sarcasim)?

I run on a chase unit (on a PRN status), with the capabilities of making the BLS unit into a MICU if needed. I love the crew that I work with, though I don't think that they like my phone calls at 3 AM asking for directions - and we have GPS. :glare:

I love my job as an ED RN in a shock trauma facility (can you guess where I am from?) and running EMS and being out in the community (I have run rural, urban, and metro (all with the same co.)). Yes, I am very much jaded, hate the 3 AM stupidity calls (once was for white spots on the tongue) cause I love my sleep.

I hope that I can "enlighten" (LOL) anyone who has questions or someone can enlighten me on things. I promise I am not one of those snotty ED RN's. I know what it is like to work in the trenches.

mixerman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the nice site

I'm Marty
I have been a Volunteer Fire Fighter for almost five years.
I have never been able to work in the right time to get my EMT certification.
I am now finally Scheduled to take the pre classes in March and then the
EMT classes in September of this year.
I am Divorced; 50 years old and i driver a Cement Mixer Truck for my job.
I have three kids who live with me part time.
I live in a small quite area close to the Bellingham bay.

911cwgrl

Forum Ride Along
Howdy! I'm from rural Montana and currently work as an e911 dispatcher, an emt, and a reserve deputy (in my spare time). Before I moved here, I was a volunteer structural ff for 9 years. The dispatch part is sposed to be my "full time" job, but the emt job has me "on call" more. The reserve deputy part I basically do when I want. I'm classified as a "part paid" volunteer for the ambulance. Meaning we get a few cents for the hours we're on call, then paid a wage when we're on a call. I'm hoping to learn from anyone's expirience, laugh from the funnies, maybe meet ppl on here that are from montana, and maybe be able to help someone out too. I stumbled on this site, have done lots of reading, and enjoyed what I saw so thought I'd join.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdemtb

Forum Crew Member
Hello all, I passed my NREMT last week now just waiting for my stuff to come in the snail mail. Already started my livescan and I have to affiliate with a county in order to work in CA. I plan on either getting on with a private company or volunteer fire department in my area. This looks like a pretty cool place and look forward to reading and expanding my knowledge.

SafeTgirl

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

I just joined the site and have had my basic license for about two years. I did first responder stuff but am hoping to find some part-time employment. With that in mind, I thought I should join the site to stay in the know. I also just moved and am hoping to get some insight to the area. (Atlanta)

emt2412

Forum Ride Along
Hi!
I'm Lana. I'm 23 yrs old. I graduated from NIU last May with a degree in Pre-med Biological Sciences.I'm a new EMT-B, waiting for my state license to come in the mail any day! I will be working ft for a private ambulance company in Illinois.
Eventually, I plan to go to medical school to become an OBGYN but I needed some time off from the whole school routine, especially considering I have minimum 4 more years ahead of me in classes alone. Ultimately, I really just want to reach out and help people in their time of need.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi!
I'm Lana. I'm 23 yrs old. I graduated from NIU last May with a degree in Pre-med Biological Sciences.I'm a new EMT-B, waiting for my state license to come in the mail any day! I will be working ft for a private ambulance company in Illinois.
Eventually, I plan to go to medical school to become an OBGYN but I needed some time off from the whole school routine, especially considering I have minimum 4 more years ahead of me in classes alone. Ultimately, I really just want to reach out and help people in their time of need.

I used to go to school in Lisle.. probably before you were born. Benet Academy.. not sure if its even still there.. I was only there for a year.

emt2412

Forum Ride Along
I used to go to school in Lisle.. probably before you were born. Benet Academy.. not sure if its even still there.. I was only there for a year.

Actually Benet Academy is still around and still very highly regarded. I actually live right down the road from there. Many of my family members and friends went there as well.

tickettoberlin

Forum Ride Along
Hello!

Hey everybody!

My name is Joe, I'm 27 years old and considering becoming an EMT. I have just recently started looking into this and am just fishing for info and a feel for the life of an EMT.
Just for starters:
What is life like as an EMT? Stressors? Schedules?

I wear glasses, is 20/20 vision a must?

Just trying to get the word of the street from people who've been there. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Hey everybody!

My name is Joe, I'm 27 years old and considering becoming an EMT. I have just recently started looking into this and am just fishing for info and a feel for the life of an EMT.
Just for starters:
What is life like as an EMT? Stressors? Schedules?

I wear glasses, is 20/20 vision a must?

Just trying to get the word of the street from people who've been there. Thanks

The old cliche of 7 hours of endless boredom punctuated by 1 hour of sheer terror rings true more often than not, but only if you add 60 gallons of politics. Stressors = lack of sleep, lack of proper nutrition from eating on the go constantly, having to deal with severe injury and death, and of course politics. Schedules depend on a few different factors... most ambulances staff 24/7, so there's no shortage of hours, but who gets those hours depends on seniority, availability, training, but mostly politics. Glasses are not a big deal. I know a paramedic with one hand who has had a long and successful career... I don't think less than perfect vision will hurt you too badly, especially if you correct it through artificial means.

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
HI, im a bloke (giving names does not fit well with me), 26, i live in Victoria Australia. I finished a bachelor of Paramedical Sciences in 2007 and am currently just starting the 2nd year of a 2 year Graduate Program with the service i am a part of. If sorta got a 10 year plan, i would like to be a Preceptor by years into my career and between 5-8 years become and intensive care paramedic which will mean i need to do a post-graduate diploma

Got a lotof stuf on my plate

Other than that, i love fly fishingB)

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
OK so I have been a lurker for awhile I decided its time to get down to posting. My name is Tyler (hence the username ;)) I am an EMT - B in CA considering relocating else where depending on the job market I was an employed EMT quit to go to medic school failed out and am stuck now. If ya wanna know anythin else just ask I dont have much to hide.

Packman

Forum Ride Along
Howdy

Hi folks,

Packman here. I was an EMT-B in Massachussets for four years during college with Tufts Emerency Medical Services (TEMS). Saw and helped a lot of people, mostly who had done something stupid while drunk.

I let my certification lapse as I went to work in an office in NYC for the last 15-years or so.

Recently I moved to Long Island and joined my local volunteer rescue squad. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be sitting through the whole EMT-B original class again. I say unfortunately becasue as I run scenarios with the squad, my skills seem as sharp as ever.

Anyhow, I've enjoyed reading the boards, so I thought I'd join.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
hey

Hi. My name is Amber. I live in Dallas and I am currently 23 years old. I've been an EMT for almost 3 years now. I got my fire cert back in 07 but have had no luck with getting hired yet. I currently work on a Pediatric/Neonatal transport team with Medical City Childrens Hospital(MCCH) through AMR. Which basically means i work for AMR and MCCH supplies the nurses. I love my job. It has helped me in dealing with the fear of dealing with kiddos. I plan on going on the medic school and eventually getting my nursing degree. My goal is to work full time as an Firefighter/Paramedic and part time as a nurse. I know, I'm crazy. lol.:rolleyes:

swindlman

Forum Crew Member
The name is James.
I'm a current EMT-B student and will be finished this May.
I'm 20Y/O, 21 in April:)
After taking my NREMT i plan on trying to get some work at a local private ambulance company in Lansing.
And from there the plan is to go on to the paramedic program and then to the fire academy.

QSMITH89

Forum Probie
Hi I'm Quinn
I'm a firefighter right now and I'm going for the basic EMT right now
0 yrs in EMS
I'm 20 years old
When I get done with EMT I'm gonna continue and try to become a Paramedic and get a job in the city that I live in.