Bent Halligan

Forum Ride Along
Im about to take the new practical assessment that started this year, January. I finished medic school last year, when they weren't teaching for the integrated out of hospital scenario. Im concerned that since you only have one scenario now, that its going to be some crazy combination of all the stations from the previous version of practicals thrown into one. Maybe a hypoglycemic MVA with a tension pneumo, a couple of precision gunshots, torsades on the monitor, black widow bite, an amputation or two, a few nuns and babys in the car with respiratory failure and massive STEMI. Can anyone shed some light on this? What was the scenario like when you took it?

kthealy

Forum Probie
I took my skills last weekend. Granted it was at a site that hasn't done this scenario before so they were kind of out of wack. Basically just run the call like you would in real life. It's a strict 20 minutes. You can delegate whatever skills you want if needed but I would recommend doing at least one the for the sake of time (start your own IV). As for my session, my patient was a cut and dry stroke pt.

Woodridge

Forum Ride Along
If you haven't taken it yet, what kthealy said is true. You can also find TONS of info on the NREMT site. You have a protocol list, pedi-wheel or Pedi-Tape you can use and you can even bounce ideas off your "professional parter" but be sure you are "leading" the call. Treating your patient kindly and always asking and telling them whats going on is crucial. The class above me that i volunteered for during testing got burn patients, trauma patients, STEMI patients and Stroke patients. Not too bad. There may be some "distracting injuries/medical issues" but as we are being taught, never assume all is well and always reassess.

PassionMedic

Forum Crew Member
Also your 'professional partner' is like bumpers while bowling. They don't want you to fail. If they question your intervention, take a moment and rethink your course of action. I believe they intervene once and then follow your direction if you insist. I don't believe they will question you just to throw you off, and I'm not sure if simply asking 'what do you think instead' is an appropriate course of action (not sure if they are a full resource as Woodbridge was suggesting)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk