the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I just got an AirTraq VL camera of my own.
Yeah, I’m a nerd.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I just got an AirTraq VL camera of my own.
Yeah, I’m a nerd.
The plug into computer kind?

I like those, they went over poorly here because people couldn’t wrap their head around bringing the tablet into a call three years ago. Now we’re practically paperless with ESO, thank god.

NomadicMedic

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's something you don't quite see everyday, someone trying to commit suicide via lighting a charcoal grill inside their house...

NomadicMedic

Well that's something you don't quite see everyday, someone trying to commit suicide via lighting a charcoal grill inside their house...

I used to see Somali refugees with CO poisoning several times a year due to indoor charcoal grills. It was a real public health problem.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I'm thinking about doing CCP-C. In this day, Dec 2021, in your views, what are considered decent programs? Do most of them use the AAOS textbook? I did search and many of the threads are now 10 years old. Same with reddit. Lots of old threads but very few in the past 2 years.

I am not looking at flying. I am also in California, and looking at the state scope of practice for critical care paramedics, it looks like some of it is stuff that I was doing as a "normal" paramedic in Texas. But I could be wrong.

Any ideas? Suggestions? PM me if you want, tag me here, click "like" or whatever. I've been offline a whole lot more recently. :)

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Damnit. Once again I see “CCP” and my brain autocorrects it to “CCCP” the problems of history majors.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm thinking about doing CCP-C. In this day, Dec 2021, in your views, what are considered decent programs? Do most of them use the AAOS textbook? I did search and many of the threads are now 10 years old. Same with reddit. Lots of old threads but very few in the past 2 years.

I am not looking at flying. I am also in California, and looking at the state scope of practice for critical care paramedics, it looks like some of it is stuff that I was doing as a "normal" paramedic in Texas. But I could be wrong.

Any ideas? Suggestions? PM me if you want, tag me here, click "like" or whatever. I've been offline a whole lot more recently. :)
If you’re looking for an actual program then Creighton, or U of F are the only two reputable ones I know of.

Creighton uses the AAOS, though I don’t recall using it much, nor was it a requirement.

Otherwise, there’s countless prep courses for the exam, most of which will say the CCP-C is the FP-C without the flight questions. Good luck.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
If you’re looking for an actual program then Creighton, or U of F are the only two reputable ones I know of.

Creighton uses the AAOS, though I don’t recall using it much, nor was it a requirement.

Otherwise, there’s countless prep courses for the exam, most of which will say the CCP-C is the FP-C without the flight questions. Good luck.
awesome, thanks. I have seen ads for many of the prep courses as well. The way it sounds, I can sign up for the test and just go take it. I might even pass! I figured that I'd read a textbook first, though. :) If I can't get into a course at work, Creighton sounds like it might be the way to go. I have a decent social circle that can help explain concepts if I get stuck on things.

cheers!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Also remember that just because the state scope lists items does not mean you will be able to utilize them. Some counties do not recognize critical care medics and while others do you may be limited on what you can do.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Shouldn't you make a CCP-C thread instead of posting it here?

At the same time, I think the mods should maybe change the "HEMS and Air Medical Transport" forum to something like "HEMS/Critical Care" or something because the two go hand in hand. Where I work, the flight crew are the only CCT crew. The hospital could be literally across the street, a stone throw away, and they'll still call for a helicopter because the patient requires CCT. If weather is bad, they'll use an ambulance to pickup the flight crew and patient.

I know you're not looking into flight, but that CCP-C test is essentially FP-C without flight physiology questions. I'd honestly just do the online flight training stuff or flight books to prepare for CCT. Just ignore the flight physiology stuff. Some of the flight CAMTS questions still apply to the CCP-C. A lot of people say good things about that AAOS book, but I personally didn't think it was that good. The only thing I liked about it was the practice tests that came with it. I thought it wasn't very comprehensive. It had a ton of fluff in it. Very wordy without actually delivering information. When I had questions, I felt it was very difficult to find information in it even using the index.

I know a lot of people hate California, but I love it. However, I am not a fan of California EMS. In my opinion, it's embarrassingly bad. I don't understand how anyone in California would think the system is okay. It needs a complete overhaul for sure.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
awesome, thanks. I have seen ads for many of the prep courses as well. The way it sounds, I can sign up for the test and just go take it. I might even pass! I figured that I'd read a textbook first, though. :) If I can't get into a course at work, Creighton sounds like it might be the way to go. I have a decent social circle that can help explain concepts if I get stuck on things.

cheers!
Hey no problem. Let me know if you have any questions about Creighton specifically. I really enjoyed their program.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Just submitted the necessary CEs to try to get NREMT again and got like an acceptance e-mail or approval to test. Take the test and practical again so I can work shifts outside of California. Hopefully soon. No plan to move, just pick up shifts or do a travel position.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Company has decided to heavily invest in VR, specifically the Oculus system, it definitely has some fantastic potential for scenario based training and evaluations.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
When I was at the conference in AC, one of the vendors was VR and it was really cool.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Also remember that just because the state scope lists items does not mean you will be able to utilize them. Some counties do not recognize critical care medics and while others do you may be limited on what you can do.
Very true. From what I'm understanding from talking to others at the agency, and what I'm reading, a critical care medic here is only slightly more limited to what I could do in TX/OK as a regular paramedic and did on a regular basis.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Shouldn't you make a CCP-C thread instead of posting it here?

I know a lot of people hate California, but I love it. However, I am not a fan of California EMS. In my opinion, it's embarrassingly bad. I don't understand how anyone in California would think the system is okay. It needs a complete overhaul for sure.

I could, but I didn't want to add to all of the other threads that are covered in digital cobwebs. :)

Things here are definitely different than any other state I've worked in, that's for sure. A lot of things here need changes.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Just got myself and my oldest signed up for BJJ.