the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My real job is pension based fire, so that's my primary retirement plan. Mountain job was my primary employer for seven years and their retirement was quite good so I have a little egg there. But currently I make about 500/month there so it's about 80/month to my retirement.

Mountain job always hooks it up with dinner.

In my time being on this forum I’ve heard you talk more about your mountain gig then anything else. Seems to me you really like it there.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've been doing rural EMS for a few months. It feels like a vacation instead of work. I don't feel tired and overworked. Enjoy the expanded scope of practice. I absolutely love the wildlife out here. My only complaint is it feels a little bit too slow. I wouldn't mind a call or two a shift. I can go several 24 hour shifts without a single call. I'm told it is only going to get slower during the winter. :/ That being said, I'm happy to have this as my full time shift/job and pick up a busy shift at this company or another. That way if I do feel tired, it is going to take a lot less luck to get a break. I took a 24% paycut and have to commute far. Benefits are about the same as the busy place I used to work at.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It's always fun trolling recruiters who send me job offers based upon a six year old resume on an employment site. Latest one was offering a job that lasts 3-6 months.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been doing rural EMS for a few months. It feels like a vacation instead of work. I don't feel tired and overworked. Enjoy the expanded scope of practice. I absolutely love the wildlife out here. My only complaint is it feels a little bit too slow. I wouldn't mind a call or two a shift. I can go several 24 hour shifts without a single call. I'm told it is only going to get slower during the winter. :/ That being said, I'm happy to have this as my full time shift/job and pick up a busy shift at this company or another. That way if I do feel tired, it is going to take a lot less luck to get a break. I took a 24% paycut and have to commute far. Benefits are about the same as the busy place I used to work at.

I worked at a small town on the border with Mexico, where you could go several days without a call. And then there were days, while you were taking a patient to the hospital, 80 miles away, there were two more calls waiting for you to come back to town to take them to the hospital. Or we'd have to run 50 miles up river on a mountain road to pickup a patient who was in labor. An hour there, an hour back to the main highway, and then 80 miles to the hospital. Count your blessings.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I worked at a small town on the border with Mexico, where you could go several days without a call. And then there were days, while you were taking a patient to the hospital, 80 miles away, there were two more calls waiting for you to come back to town to take them to the hospital. Or we'd have to run 50 miles up river on a mountain road to pickup a patient who was in labor. An hour there, an hour back to the main highway, and then 80 miles to the hospital. Count your blessings.
Are air resources not a thing in your area?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I have two part time ambulance jobs. One is with AMR, the other with a mountain/rural service. AMR pays me a lot (36/hr minimum) and lets me build my own shifts so long as I work one day per month. It's busy urban EMS and we work pretty hard and have to put up with a pretty dumb ALS FD with scene control. The mountain job is 24s (too far to drive for anything less) and pays only 20/hr. But I get to do cool stuff (RSI, vents, lots of meds, backcountry, etc) with lots of my friends.

By 2022 I feel I need to only have one. It stresses me out to have this much obligation. But how am I going to pick?
I dunno dude, you always talk about the mountain one in a better way it seems. Besides, it doesn't sound like your reliant on AMR money.

The only reason I keep my city job is convenience and being established enough there that I still want to work with friends. I certainly don't need them for the money.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I’m pretty impressed so far with the versatility of my Terra-Core.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... made an argument on a COVID post on Instagram last night before bed, woke up to like a dozen reply notifications... decided I haven't wanted to open any of them 😆

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I have to laugh at the bizarreness at times. About a third of our fleet is out of service because somehow the O2 company we use sent the wrong sized O2 tanks. We’re also having to take AEDs out of the out of service ambulances because at least 5-10 of our AEDs have dying batteries and we’re once again missing gas cards. Oh and we’re short phones because apparently if you leave them sitting in trucks all day they overheat and the batteries go thermonuclear. 😂

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... made an argument on a COVID post on Instagram last night before bed, woke up to like a dozen reply notifications... decided I haven't wanted to open any of them 😆
I just got out of bookface jail for my 6th 30 day stretch. I’m already in Pretrial…

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
My Department put out our CPR numbers from 2020, as per the CARES data.

There were 950 reported Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests (OHCA) we responded to.

Of those, 87 (9.2%) were saved, 97 (10.2%) had an Initial Shockable Rhythm, and 379 (39%) had bystander CPR in progress.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
1631403293282.png

1631403327141.png

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Looks like I'm probably going to get a newer ride a bit sooner than I wanted. A likely DUI driver gave the right rear corner of my car a pretty good whack.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Jim37F. it sucks to look at those pictures, but it is a good thing to actually see pictures of those who gave all rather than hearing a cold number that so and so many people died in the rescue that day. Thanks

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
End to another era. Got a new truck, while switching things over I noticed there was no CD player. Bummer now I have to figure out how to use the phone for that.