the 100% directionless thread

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
No but if you are infected the mask “should” filter your exhaled breath before the PAPR pushes it out.
The mask probably catches some large particles, but it definitely isn't a filter. Most of the air you exhale takes the path of least resistance around the mask rather than through the fabric. I would estimate that a mask inside a PAPR is even less effective at catching particles because of the positive pressure surrounding the mask and essentially amplifying the force of your exhalation.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So those PAPR they promised us sometime last year finally arrived...
We use that style at work. I personally have a TR-600, which is an upgraded PAPR that can use different cartridges. I'm looking at getting the filter that also helps with nuisance organic vapors. Ought to be good for filtering out burrito gas...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Our policy forbids wearing a mask underneath. The rationale we had is that if you have any virus on the outside of your mask the positive flow could dislodge it from the mask and allow it to be breathed in around the mask or expelled from the PAPR.
The only way that you can prevent viral particles from the mask from dislodging is to put on a fresh mask before donning the PAPR. The only way to ensure that the mask doesn't have any viral particles on it is to don the mask and the PAPR in a place where there aren't any viral particles. Where's that place? Nowhere I've ever worked. Since I use a PAPR helmet and not a hood, the way I do things is actually pretty easy: Don the PAPR with visor up. Take a breath and hold, doff the mask and then close the visor. Done.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
This thing ain't that bad actually, kinda neat.
I use this thing with either my personal PAPR or the hospital supplied PAPR (compatible from breathing hose up)...

3m-versaflo-rsprtry-facshld-asmbly-m-206-wth-ssv-and-cfs-1-cs__51179.1609848349.jpg

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Back to back dynamic calls followed by a full nights sleep (no tones, no phones).

Holding over for relief til sometime this evening. I thoroughly expect a late call.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Let’s hope it’s an obtunded, vomiting 450 pounder with no neck and limited mouth mobility, just to keep those airways skills sharp.

Man. That’s just mean. Sorry. Have a good weekend.

Last edited:

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Let’s hope it’s an obtunded, vomiting 450 pounder with no neck and limited mouth mobility, just to keep those airways skills sharp.

Is this when yall would so that nasal intubation thing back in the day? 😂

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Is this when yall would so that nasal intubation thing back in the day? 😂
This is when I'd consider using a guidewire... back in the day.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
The region my new protocols fall under actually has this listed. Not sure if anyone actually has the stuff, but its there.
That when you go to home depot and just buy some wire that you can slide in an 18ga iv 😅

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Since I know they won't read this and learn from it, just wanted to thank all the spammers who join and with their very first post dig up a years old thread to post a link in it. Makes my job much easier.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Doing our son’s last minute birthday party today. Nothing too crazy, obvi. Should be fun.

Oh, and I managed to get that late call. And no, it wasn’t a morbidly obese airway dump. Easy money.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The best part of HEMS is weight/size limitations.
Not if you do ground runs.

If we can’t fly it in our airframe we will check with the other local bases. If they also can’t take it we will check with our fixed wing assets. If they can’t take it then it is a ground run for us. Same for weather here.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Not if you do ground runs.

If we can’t fly it in our airframe we will check with the other local bases. If they also can’t take it we will check with our fixed wing assets. If they can’t take it then it is a ground run for us. Same for weather here.
That sucks. We rarely do that, when we do it's as a courtesy and it's usually ECMO.