the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I’m mostly deterred by the not wanting to die in a crash over some patient that would have had the same outcome in a ground ambulance bit; and the part where I would have to take a pay cut.
Ground CCT is a pretty limited venture in this state, or was until recently.

Meanwhile the fire academy is making me redo my wildland fire stuff via an online course, as if that wasn't bad enough the DHS website will just kick you out and make you try 20+ times to get in.

Emily Starton

Forum Lieutenant
If there's a thing I've learned in my life it's to not be afraid of the responsibility that comes with caring for other people. What we do for love: those things endure. Even if the people you do them for don't. Love and Light!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Did an interfacility transfer. Felt like a paramedic for the first time in a while. Nice to manage a sick patient for once.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Working on getting all of my CEUs done to keep my NR Cert. it expires at the end of the month. It’s so tedious.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If only they gave you more time to get it done..... like two years ;)
Speaking of, I have to get my files all in order and uploaded to their respective agency.

I said I would once we were done with the move. We’re settling and ~85-90% unpacked. Got it all done in a few days, not too shabby. Now on the the equity upgrades.

Also, I didn’t realize how much we rely on two refrigerators. I’m glad our new one finally arrived.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
just completed a $190,000 grant application. Whew.
Good luck. I’m sure you won’t need it, but in the spirit of St. Patty’s Day...

For those of us who often wonder what adulting looks like, when you’ve arrived at a point in your career when you’re entrusted with monetary tasks of this level, I’d say it’s a good indicator that you’re there.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I am so heart broken. I had my heart set on a job. I tested well, got certified to do the job, and was scheduled an interview later this week. I was told today that the position was filled. They asked if I wanted to work anywhere else, but there wasn't anything that called to me so I told them they could just cancel the interview. Pretty bummed.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Seems like every holiday meal I cook we get some call that gets in the way. Today it was a tractor fire. Had to start the corned beef and cabbage a little later than I wanted.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am so heart broken. I had my heart set on a job. I tested well, got certified to do the job, and was scheduled an interview later this week. I was told today that the position was filled. They asked if I wanted to work anywhere else, but there wasn't anything that called to me so I told them they could just cancel the interview. Pretty bummed.
It took me over a decade. Do not be deterred.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You wouldn't be the first. It's pretty rare to get hired the first time, keep at it, there will always be more openings

In other news, apparently the brief power outage Monday morning fried my water softener. The bypass valve isn't working so I get to replace the softener after the kids go to bed.

The wife is on a 6 week nursing contract in Norcal so I'm dealing with work, projects and the girls. Resulting in larger than normal bourbon budget and little sleep.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I guess it is pretty obvious that I was trying to be a flight paramedic. It's been kind of a roller coaster. I've been strongly considering it for like a year and kinda messaging a member here every step of the way. A friend of mine applied to a local flight place, but they didn't get the job. They didn't have NRP and barely met the 3 year requirement. They told me they interviewed, but was asked questions on vent and critical care medications (they mentioned propfol). They told me they essentially told the interviewer that they didn't know any of that stuff and was expecting training after hire. Needless to say, they didn't get the job.

I knew the basics because I worked CCT as an EMT for 3 years before I became a medic, but that's from an EMT perspective. I only knew some basics Googling, asking questions, etc. Like I wouldn't know the dose or why you'd choose one over the over. I decided I didn't want to be like them and say I expect training. Like I know I'll be trained, but it should be more practice, hands on, and fine tuing rather than from scratch. I took those online review classes, IA Med and FlightBridgeED. I read two different ventilator books. I had two FP-C review books, two FP-C test practice books (ACE SAT by Wingfield and Back to Basics by Orchid). Some of the stuff that I struggled with, IABP and hemodynamic monitoring, I put extra effort to learn just browsing various websites and stuff. I worked hard.

I was dropping off a patient at a hospital and a nurse was wearing a REACH shirt. I was like "Oooo... I am trying to be a flight medic." He told me he was the hiring manager for the local flight company. He asked me questions, told me I didn't need FP-C, and to apply. I applied to the location he said they needed people at. A friend that works there said since I am a serious candidate, I could do a fly along (they haven't been doing it due to COVID 19). Days before the fly along, the fly along got cancelled. I asked a month later and there is a new issue (not with me) so it is on hold still until that issue is probably resolved.

When my fly along got cancelled, I applied to Air Methods. I took their clinical exam and passed with a 94% (yeap, they give the score now, people who I know who took the test before said they used to not). I felt like the test was easy so I decided to take the FP-C. That was kinda a mistake cause FP-C was waaaay harder, definitely felt like I walked out of there thinking I failed. Nope. I passed! Can't wait for my wings and patch in the mail.

Air Methods scheduled an interview. I advised both companies I got FP-C.

It was kind of a shock to me to be told that I was no longer being considered. They did offer for me to interview at other locations, but none of the other locations called to me/drew me in so I told them no thanks. They said they'll keep me in mind if the base I applied for has openings again. I kinda want to consider telling them maybe I am willing for out of state, but scared to do that.

It was a little bit of a blessing cause I was stressing about moving so I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Last edited:

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess it is pretty obvious that I was trying to be a flight paramedic. It's been kind of a roller coaster. I've been strongly considering it for like a year and kinda messaging a member here every step of the way. A friend of mine applied to a local flight place, but they didn't get the job. They didn't have NRP and barely met the 3 year requirement. They told me the interviewed, but asked vent and critical care medications (they mentioned propfol). They told me they essentially told the interviewer that they didn't know any of that stuff and was expecting training after hire. Needless to say, they didn't get the job.

I knew basics because I worked CCT as an EMT for 3 years before I became a medic, but that's from an EMT perspective. I only knew some basics Googling, asking qiestions, etc. Like I wouldn't know the dose or why you'd choose one over the over. I decided I didn't want to be like them and say I expect training. I took those online review classes, IA Med and FlightBridgeED. I read two different ventilator books. I had two FP-C review books, two FP-C test practice books (ACE SAT by Wingfield and Back to Basics by Orchid). Some of the stuff that I struggled with, IABP and hemodynamic monitoring, I put extra effort to learn just browsing various websites and stuff. I worked hard.

I was dropping off a patient at a hospital and a nurse was wearing a REACH shirt. I was like ooo... I am trying to be a flight medic. He told me he was the hiring manager for the local flight company. He asked me questions, told me I didn't need FP-C, and to apply. I applied to the locatiom he said they needed people at. A friend that works there said since I am a serious candidate, I could do a fly along (they haven't been doing it due to COVID 19). Days before the fly along, the fly along got cancelled. I asked a month later and there is a new issue (not with me) so it is on hold still until that issue is probably resolved.

When my fly along got cancelled, I applied to Air Methods. I took their clinical exam and passed with a 94% (yeap, they give the score now, people who I know who took the test before said they used to not). I felt like the test was easy so I decided to take the FP-C. That was kinda a mistake cause FP-C was way harder, definitely felt like I walked out of there thinking I failed. Nope. I passed! Can't wait for my wings and patch in the mail.

Air Methods scheduled an interview. I advised both company I got FP-C.

It was kind of a shock to me to be told that I was no longer being considered. They did offer for me to interview at other locations, but I told them no thanks. They said they'll keep me in mind if the base I applied for have openings again. I kinda want to consider telling them maybe I am willing for out of state, but scared to do that.

It was a little bit of a blessing cause I was stressing about moving so I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.
@Aprz IF you don't have anything specifically tying you to California (am I right on that?) I would strongly consider moving. I know California cost of living is high, and judging by the numbers Desertmedic posted a little while back......you can make the same, or more money in a much cheaper state.

Though I'm merely basing that off the numbers posted, but I can at least speak to numbers for my company and one of our competitors based on what colleagues have told me.

Feel free to PM me anytime.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
just completed a $190,000 grant application. Whew.
Might be getting in touch with a few of yall on here soon on how to do some of these things. My new place pays well, but there are definitely a few areas where equipment is lacking and could use an upgrade or to just be had at all. Would like to help update some of these things, but their budget isn't the biggest.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Might be getting in touch with a few of yall on here soon on how to do some of these things. My new place pays well, but there are definitely a few areas where equipment is lacking and could use an upgrade or to just be had at all. Would like to help update some of these things, but their budget isn't the biggest.
There is a group called “non profit ready” that offers free classes on grant writing (and lots more). I highly recommend starting there.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Don’t you just love it when you do a rig check and the main O2 is empty?