the 100% directionless thread

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
My company is actually blessed to have a certified P, volunteer, who has his own completely rigged out (L/S & radio) Tahoe, that does a bunch of fill-ins for us on the schedule. The fill-ins are a real blessing when we are tasked with 1 unit having to sit through a football game on Friday night. In the evenings, when he isn't tied up with his day job, he will responded on most trauma or possible cardiac calls. And will ride in the back, if the duty P needs him, and the B or A will drive.

His volunteer activity has helped us, massively, when we are short of bodies, due to folks being out for Covid, or possible Covid. Only negative for him is his Spanish sucks, but we usually have enough Spanish speakers to cover everything. PD or SO can help with the Spanish too.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I would much rather have my partner and back and someone “random” driving given the choice.
In NJ and PA, they let EMR drive ambulances if it’s just IFT.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
So bought IAMeds Flight Medical Provider self paced course because it was on sale and I need CE's. Didn't realize it starts with a test. Actually surprised how well I did. 76%. Passing. I have a lot to relearn. But apparently I remember more than I thought.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
In NJ and PA, they let EMR drive ambulances if it’s just IFT.
So long as it is agency policy. I work for places here that still say you must have employee driving the truck which is a pain. Fire or whomever can drive, my partner, who knows where everything is, should be in back.

And to be clear, at another job it is more than allowable to have joe-shmo who is older than 21 and doing landscaping at the home of a 911 call to drive me to the hospital or LZ especially if I am working alone (which still happens).

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Spilled soup all over my leg and seat. F

Reactions: 9D4

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Well, after 67 days of fighting with the NREMT, I got my authorization to test today!

No tests dates are open in my area until late January... 🙃 Glad I spent so much time prepping while waiting on the NR to sit around and wait again, lol.
Are they not offering the home based test anymore?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Are they not offering the home based test anymore?
Not for medic. I was under the impression they never did for medic, but I'm gonna be annoyed if I missed it. Lol

Looks like it's just EMT and AEMT from what I just read. That's one of the issues; there's only three centers open in all of Phoenix.

Ah well, I got my handy dandy Kaplan prep book and I'll keep studying for it (honestly surprised at how good this book ended up being. Worked super well as a refresher). I'm more nervous for the psychomotor than anything since it's been such a long time since I've physically done this stuff. I happened to miss the provisional cert by around two weeks per the lady at the NREMT. So I ended up lucky on all fronts 🙃

Last edited:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That's one of the issues; there's only three centers open in all of Phoenix.

Oh yeah I forgot you're in AZ... I moved just up the hill from you. I may be asking you about reciprocity here soon. I may be interested in working PT somewhere.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh yeah I forgot you're in AZ... I moved just up the hill from you. I may be asking you about reciprocity here soon. I may be interested in working PT somewhere.
Does just up the hill mean you're enjoying this 70 degree Thanksgiving weather or more like Flag's low 50's? Lol

Afaik for reciprocity, they require nremt. I don't think we acknowledge any states. It's basically get nremt, apply to az and done.

It's simple enough if you kept your nremt.

Which I'm learning is a huge advantage. Lol

If you call the bureau of ems, they normally are super helpful. It's just two little old ladies that work there and both are awesome.

CALEMT

Does just up the hill mean you're enjoying this 70 degree Thanksgiving weather or more like Flag's low 50's? Lol

Afaik for reciprocity, they require nremt. I don't think we acknowledge any states. It's basically get nremt, apply to az and done.

It's simple enough if you kept your nremt.

Which I'm learning is a huge advantage. Lol

If you call the bureau of ems, they normally are super helpful. It's just two little old ladies that work there and both are awesome.

Low 50's lol. Yeah I still have my NREMT. I get a boat load of CE's though work so I figure why not renew it, just as a failsafe if something ever happened.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you still have your NREMT all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and attach the required documents. It’s completely free. I applied on a Monday and got an email on Tuesday asking why I wanted the license and then got the approval on Wednesday and my physical license was at my house by next Monday.

CALEMT

If you still have your NREMT all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and attach the required documents. It’s completely free. I applied on a Monday and got an email on Tuesday asking why I wanted the license and then got the approval on Wednesday and my physical license was at my house by next Monday.

Oh yeah I forgot you were thinking about making a move out here.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You got time for that?!

CALEMT

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Not really. It's just more of a failsafe.
"Always have an exit plan," they say.

Nothing makes me happier than someone at my PRN places saying "sure you don't want to come back fulltime?" and I can just smile in pension based retirement.

Last edited:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh yeah I forgot you were thinking about making a move out here.
Ehh who knows. The main reason I got it is so that I can pick up OT at the flight job if I ever need or want to. In CA I can work at 7 bases currently and having my AZ license opens up like 15 other bases for me to work at.

CALEMT

Ehh who knows. The main reason I got it is so that I can pick up OT at the flight job if I ever need or want to. In CA I can work at 7 bases currently and having my AZ license opens up like 15 other bases for me to work at.

Any of those bases near me? I know the local hospitals keep helicopters there virtually 24/7 just in case they need to fly someone to Phoenix, plus the scene calls where I'm at.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Any of those bases near me? I know the local hospitals keep helicopters there virtually 24/7 just in case they need to fly someone to Phoenix, plus the scene calls where I'm at.
Yes sir. All up and down the river along with Prescott and Prescott valley. Closest one to where you work at is our Quartzsite base.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
reason #374 I love the new job ? We knocked off a little early today, we’re closed tomorrow and Friday... and those days are paid holidays.

I was considering a per diem medic gig, but with covid through the roof, I’ll stick with my WFH gig. Pants optional.