the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Second best. First was the initial “lull” some areas saw. Twas a nice break. Still. Hats off to those who’ve been pummeled.
It couldn't have come at a better time. 3-5 call days did wonders to tame the burnout. I'd definitely be happy if it wasn't back to 10/day now though. Fortunately we never got that NYC level of beating, or even a "bad" day by our standards, just our usual grind.
Our state is seeing an uptick in cases and a decrease in vented covid patients. Weve skipped ahead to stage 3 of the reopening plan (yay the gym will soon be open). Over 80% of ICU beds in the state are open, and almost 90% of vents available.

I'm jealous, the gyms here have been closed for about 6 weeks or so. I guess it's alright since I still have 10lbs to cut, but I miss my routine of Oly lifts before work.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My BP Tango has grown so much. She used to be able to fit in the palm of my little hand. Now she's more than 2.5 ft. She eats like a champ. 😭

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Simple answer? Movement increases oxygen demand. Heart rate increases with activity to supply oxygen. That causes a higher amount of blood into the vascular system and systolic pressure increases.

There's more to it, with catecholamine release causing some vasoconstriction, but in short ...more activity causes increase in heart rate = increased blood pressure.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why does a BP increase pressure when a pt moves?
Are you meaning why does the patients BP rise or why does a NiBP pump up to a higher value when there is patient movement?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why the nibp mm mg raises. As it's said "it's gonna hurt more if you wiggle.". Why.
Because it has a hard time sensing the patients BP. So it increases the pressure so it can start to sense correctly. The machines are preset to start at a certain mmHg like 140mmHg. If it pumps up and is already detecting the patients pulse then it will keep increasing until it looses the pulse.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Because it has a hard time sensing the patients BP. So it increases the pressure so it can start to sense correctly. The machines are preset to start at a certain mmHg like 140mmHg. If it pumps up and is already detecting the patients pulse then it will keep increasing until it looses the pulse.

Is it a matter of differentials then? They aren't finding a BP with low mercury so the machine thinks it must be high and it has to increase mg to find it?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Way too much medical info in this thread...please get back off topic.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
“Wiggle” equals pulse to computer brain.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is it a matter of differentials then? They aren't finding a BP with low mercury so the machine thinks it must be high and it has to increase mg to find it?
Essentially yeah. It’s easier to inflate the cuff all the way and then slowly decrease pressure until you find the pressure. Also keep in mind that NiBPs do not work how we find a manual pressure. It is not “listening for a systolic and a diastolic pressure”.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Screenshot_20200521-225415_Facebook.jpg

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Damn, I shouldn't have walked into a stealership today... new truck is already on my mind and it hasn't even been an hour yet.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
...?

You said you always double lift a battery gurney. Do you not do this for manual gurneys?
Somebody has to lift the wheels on a manual cot to get them retracted. Or at least on the X frame/common variety. That person stands at the side and can't really do much to help lift.

My old job went from manual to Ferno INx autoloaders and holy moly was that the best change ever.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Somebody has to lift the wheels on a manual cot to get them retracted. Or at least on the X frame/common variety. That person stands at the side and can't really do much to help lift.

My old job went from manual to Ferno INx autoloaders and holy moly was that the best change ever.
The INx isn't the most 911 friendly though. It's just a ***** to move and steer. Great for heavy patients or CCT runs though.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Pulled my back at work. Muscle relaxant make me much drowse.