the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Our local hospitals are treating all STEMI/CVA/Full arrests/all SNF patients as a COVID R/O. It becomes a hassle and is very interesting to see the hospital staff working a code in the ambulance bay.

Same here. It’s pretty funny watching a doc ask a patient questions while they’re wearing a PAPR

Last edited:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Just got some cloth masks made by my local smoke jumpers. Not that they do much but still pretty cool!

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Got a call from a recruiter at the CAH that ran the EMs service used to work for. Theyre building a prn float pool for the pandemic, primarily in hospital tech jobs.

I told her they could hire me to run vents on nights since RTs are days only. She said no so I said no. Not interested in tech work.

What's a pool

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
What's a pool
"Float Pool" is a term meaning not assigned to any one department or unit but rather a pool of people that float to where ever they are needed that day

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
jethro.jpg

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Our local hospitals are treating all STEMI/CVA/Full arrests/all SNF patients as a COVID R/O. It becomes a hassle and is very interesting to see the hospital staff working a code in the ambulance bay.
I saw a textbook looking inferior STEMI posted a few days ago that was actually said to have been caused by COVID. Still don't fully understand the process of COVID beyond the ACE2 receptors/pneumonia. However person was like 3 weeks post stent placement, inferior STEMI caused by the cytokines -->arteritis. Then the usual pneumonia stacked on too for good measure.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I like how we get dispatched to a Drs office for an ear pain patient who passed out, notes say possible Coronavirus patient, full PPEs required... and the next note says Pt tested negative for COVID -_-

That and last shift while on a call, EMS hands me their glucometer kit and asks me to get a finger stuck. No problemo I get one no fuss.

AFTER the call our Capt asks "Wait, isnt that outside our scope of practice?" Me and another FF both distinctly remember one of our last formal EMS training from the Dept we did glucometers (we both remember doing finger sticks on ourselves) and that they wanted to get us Glucometers on the Engines for us to start doing as well.

So our Captain emailed Med Section to ask and apparently they came back today clarifying that officially speaking finger sticks are indeed officially outside our Scope😬, but the Med Section Capt also wrote about how they're safety Lancers used by the general populace with no medical training... 🤨

So yeah, next time I guess I gotta politely tell our Paramedic I'm not allowed to do that (even though it sounds like the guys in charge of our med training think we *should* be allowed heh).

Oh and there was an article in the paper today about the County Commission meeting to vote on giving "Top County Officials" a 3% pay raise by July 1. This as reports say the Governor wants to cut all public employees pay by 20% (only 10% for us First Responders....) Due to Coronavirus fears, the Commission meeting which is technically public is not allowing testimony, and is not being broadcast online....

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I like how we get dispatched to a Drs office for an ear pain patient who passed out, notes say possible Coronavirus patient, full PPEs required... and the next note says Pt tested negative for COVID -_-
The rate of false negatives locally is still somewhere north of 20%...

Or so says the the medical direction update, I don't know how they get these numbers but they are concerning.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Or so says the the medical direction update, I don't know how they get these numbers but they are concerning.
Yeah, we still had full masks and eye pro and limited to only one guy making initial pt contact to confirm/deny corona symptoms, and then EMS showed up with gowns over their station uniforms as well, but it's still an odd dichotomy in the MDT notes 🤷🏼‍♂️

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Our academic research hospital quoted 30% false negative...

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Our academic research hospital quoted 30% false negative...
Same here. We’ve had intubated patients test negative two or three times before they actually come back positive, both with the rapids and PCRs.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
It mirrors in 3 leads, I’d guess posterior.

True, but with the inferior involvement I would also consider either distal RCA or some patients actually have a congenital aberrancy where the posterior descending artery stems off of the RCA (about 10%) and not the LCA (about 70%, about 20% have some degree of origionation from the RCA and LCA).