the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Yeah that’s not a realistic amount for a month. If you’re that hard up for money for food. You should look at food banks to help supplement if you qualify.

I'm not really sure what to set aside tbh. I may have enough?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Anyone else watching this MNF game? Rivals the Rams/ Chiefs debacle.

I don’t even care for either team, but, wow.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Anyone else watching this MNF game? Rivals the Rams/ Chiefs debacle.

I don’t even care for either team, but, wow.
It is definitely a good game.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I was hoping to get a holdover shift today. Alas I only got 1 hour (the guys who were working were coming from other stations) vice 12 hrs. BUT I took full advantage of the freebies for free breakfast at Dennys and dinner at Chili's, and spent the day napping and zip lining around Gotham beating up Penguins thugs lol so overall today was a good day

Happy Veterans Day all!

Work tomorrow, hopefully have a holdover, work one more shift, then I fly back to LA for a week with the fam 👍

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not really sure what to set aside tbh. I may have enough?
40 a week is possible but the more you can set aside for food the better you will be. Rice and beans are going to be a main staple of your diet with a low budget for foods. Also pick the cheaper vegetables which will be the ones in season. Still try and get some protein from chicken and beef when you can afford it. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible they may be cheap but have little nutritional food.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Back in the day, I lived on Ramen and tuna, toast and tea. I think I may have spent $40 a month on food. Of course, this was 1991.
Try shopping at a salvage grocery store. You’ll find great deals.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Going to look into 2-4 week food prep. Is there any good guides?

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but my parents laughed hardcore at me for thinking I can live on 40$/Month for food

Unless you have a food saver thingamajig and room in your freezer you'd be hard pressed to get passed a week.

Also, I'm lucky if I can keep it under $40 for a weeks worth of groceries... my weekly food amount is anywhere from $60-$80.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Budget $300 for food

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
AMR1K bonus, you have to be with the same division for 1 year or pay it back.

I really don't want to be held down by that. Am I wrong to decline? My gut says no, my wallet says yes. 😭

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Budget $300 for food

Really depends on your area and how cheaply you're willing to eat. I could get by on $40 a week easy if I ever learned to cook and gave up my Taco Bell habit.

Seirende

I really don't want to be held down by that. Am I wrong to decline? My gut says no, my wallet says yes. 😭

Can you defer receiving it until after the year is up. If this is your only chance for the extra money, you could take it and just hold onto it for a year in case you have to pay it back.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Take the money and put it in a high-interest savings account. Only spend it if you really need it, and only spend what you really need.

You’ll have a small emergency fund, and if you have to leave before the year is up, you’ll have (at least most of) the cash to pay them back.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Can you defer receiving it until after the year is up. If this is your only chance for the extra money, you could take it and just hold onto it for a year in case you have to pay it back.

I wondered the same. They normally pay it in increments

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
There’s no reason not to. Put it away and pocket an extra 1k if you stay a year.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't remember if I mentioned this, but my parents laughed hardcore at me for thinking I can live on 40$/Month for food
I would probably laugh at that too, in all honesty. $40 a week including the occasional splurge would still be a challenge, but is much more realistic.

However, if you don’t mind eating a ton of rice, that helps a lot. You can get a 50# bag for under $20. That’s over 80,000 calories (504 servings x 160 calories per serving), which works out to over 2600 calories a day for 30 days.

Seirende

Remember, beans and rice together make a complete protein and they're both super cheap. They're slightly more expensive if you get them from Taco Bell.