the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Also don't be afraid to look into part time second jobs. It sucks, but if your budget is that tight, you may have to.

I had to while I was in the Academy. I choose Uber Eats because there was no set schedule, just log in/out whenever, gave me the flexibility I needed (especially after Academy and starting a Kelly schedule lol). It did wear on me, added stress (sitting in traffic and whatnot) and added gas and maintenance expenses... BUT I was able to take in enough to cover those and pay the remainder of my bills my Recruit pay didn't cover.

Pretty sure regular Uber pays more, but I couldn't do that with my pickup, but Eats was a lot less picky on vehicle requirements.

With the popularity of Uber/Uber Eats, Lyft, Bite Squad, Postmates, Door Dash, etc etc, you should be able to bring in a little extra dough to your budget even if no one at a regular store is hiring part timers or whatever.

Just something to think about. I was very glad to be able to give up doing that... but I survived cir a year doing that nearly every day I wasn't at Academy or a Station...

(Hmm, looking back, maybe instead if paying nearly $6000 to fix my truck then ship it here after it blew headers and needed a new engine a month before I moved, maybe I shoulda bought that Magnum I was eyeing in the used car ads. Right around same price, maybe coulda made a little more doing reg Uber lol.... but I didn't want to risk buying a lemon and not having reliable ride at the start heh)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Take the money and put it in a high-interest savings account. Only spend it if you really need it, and only spend what you really need.

You’ll have a small emergency fund, and if you have to leave before the year is up, you’ll have (at least most of) the cash to pay them back.
I'll also throw in a vote for the emergency fund. It took me a while to get there, but it's so nice knowing I could take a 4 digit hit and still be able to pay my day to day bills. That cushion has come in handy a few times when bills vs pay day run a bit tight.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If AMR there is anything like my local shop, they give you that bonus at once. Itll be spread out over your checks for a year. Youll never notice it.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
If AMR there is anything like my local shop, they give you that bonus at once. Itll be spread out over your checks for a year. Youll never notice it.

It's by 1/3, but if you leave the day before that year is up, you owe back anything that's given to you. And by then, it's the full thousand, I believe.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A year is probably a good amount of time to decide if EMS is what you want. I'd take that grand and suck it up. Set a calendar reminder for the day after that year is up and you can make that the first day at your next job.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
AMR1K bonus, you have to be with the same division for 1 year or pay it back.

I really don't want to be held down by that. Am I wrong to decline? My gut says no, my wallet says yes. 😭

I did 5 years at AMR... you're new, another year won't hurt you especially if you get a 1k bonus.

Also don't be afraid to look into part time second jobs.

Yeah, just do what @DesertMedic66 does... kidnap pets and wait for the reward posters and tune them in.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I did 5 years at AMR... you're new, another year won't hurt you especially if you get a 1k bonus.

Yeah, just do what @DesertMedic66 does... kidnap pets and wait for the reward posters and tune them in.

If it was 911, I wouldn't mind. But I would like to be able to do some 24 or 48s and go code 3 sometimes.

*shrug*

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The hard truth is that if you have 40 dollars a month for food, your situation is not tenable. It just isn't. If that's what's "left over" for food, it's only a matter of time before a small incident becomes financially ruinous. It is not worth living that far on the edge just for independence.

Lots of people have been lived a decent lifestyle based on a single private EMS job (myself included), but cutting rent costs has to be the priority.

CALEMT

If it was 911, I wouldn't mind. But I would like to be able to do some 24 or 48s and go code 3 sometimes.

*shrug*

Who the hell cares? Yeah I get it IFT blows. I did the whole renal rodeo thing when I first became an EMT. Did I like it? No. Did it pay the bills? Yes. Plus, who says that you'll be doing the whole BLS IFT thing at AMR the whole time? 911 spots open up all the time at AMR.

Oh and going code 3 is fun for like the first couple times you get to do it. After awhile it just becomes "meh".

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Who the hell cares? Yeah I get it IFT blows. I did the whole renal rodeo thing when I first became an EMT. Did I like it? No. Did it pay the bills? Yes. Plus, who says that you'll be doing the whole BLS IFT thing at AMR the whole time? 911 spots open up all the time at AMR.

Oh and going code 3 is fun for like the first couple times you get to do it. After awhile it just becomes "meh".

But if I transfer divisions to 911 before a year, I owe 1 K. I don't want that

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Something most newbies don't realize is that IFT teaches some very important skill sets that definitely help in the 911 side. Patient assessment, report writing, and dealing with various medical staff in a professional manner are just a few.

Code 3 responses become even less "meh" after your first close call or accident while doing it. You quickly realize that most times it's not worth the risk.

CALEMT

Code 3 responses become even less "meh" after your first close call or accident while doing it. You quickly realize that most times it's not worth the risk.

Think about how I felt after an on-duty TC (driving code 2 that is)... swapping units then going code like 10 minutes after the swap.

But if I transfer divisions to 911 before a year, I owe 1 K. I don't want that

Is the AMR division an IFT only division?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Think about how I felt after an on-duty TC (driving code 2 that is)... swapping units then going code like 10 minutes after the swap.

Is the AMR division an IFT only division?

Yes. That's all it is. IFT only.

I want to learn patient assessment at a non rushed pace, but I do like learning new things too, and having an environment that moves a little more quickly.

CALEMT

Yes. That's all it is. IFT only.

I want to learn patient assessment at a non rushed pace, but I do like learning new things too, and having an environment that moves a little more quickly.

Whose to say you can't work PT at a 911 agency?

CALEMT

CALEMT

If I had a job offer, I'd look into it. But AMR is literally the only place that would hire me without experience.

So then take the 1k get some experience then do what the above post suggests.