the 100% directionless thread

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So in other news I am no longer your peer. I am...sullied. Unclean. No longer virgin or whole. Do not serenade me with the songs of heroes and champions, for I am but a peon. I am unworthy. I am soiled! Do not make eye contact with me, I do not deserve it.

I wheelchaired. I accepted defeat and inferiority and humiliation and drove the stupid van. I regressed, significantly. I don’t want to fly, but simply speaking out for safety lost me a decent job and has me at a place that literally holds people over to staff wheelchair vans. Also I hated it and I really don’t like it

I really dislike this job and need to find one that isn’t terrible.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Ada county paramedics in Boise Idaho is hiring right now. We're not super progressive (though some think we are). We have great equipment, power stretchers, power loaders, getting new monitors by year's end I believe (I think Zoll x). We don't even look at wheel chairs. Sorta never to transfers. Work 48 hours a week with set days. Schedule changes ever 4 months. Pay is ok. Benefits are pretty good. It's not a bad place to work.

I’m not sure how I feel about only working 10 shifts a month! [emoji23]

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Whidbey island is going to be hiring a lot of people soon. Keep an eye on them. Really good system.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This month I have 10 regular shifts, though I've already worked 7 additional OT shifts on top of that (granted 5 of those were 12 hrs, but 3 were combined with a regular shift to make a 36... 2 of those only 12hrs off before my next 24...)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I heard a rumor that Air Methods is going to a Kelly also?
We are in the process of transitioning to a new schedule however as of right now there are several different ways the schedule is working out. Some bases are staffing 3 medics and 3 nurses per base and then an additional medic and nurse who float between 2 bases (1 shift at base A and 1 shift at base B per week). While some other bases Do not have the floaters. My base will be losing a nurse and a medic in the next couple of months so we shall see what we move to.

From what we were told the transition was due to complaints about our current schedule since there is 1 paycheck every couple of months that is short a shift.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
We are in the process of transitioning to a new schedule however as of right now there are several different ways the schedule is working out. Some bases are staffing 3 medics and 3 nurses per base and then an additional medic and nurse who float between 2 bases (1 shift at base A and 1 shift at base B per week). While some other bases Do not have the floaters. My base will be losing a nurse and a medic in the next couple of months so we shall see what we move to.

From what we were told the transition was due to complaints about our current schedule since there is 1 paycheck every couple of months that is short a shift.
We switched to it 2 years ago to cut down on OOS time for staffing. It worked from what I understand. We have similar float positions. Currently just have a float nurse. I was the float Medic, were typically good about covering for each other so we may never fill that.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When you find out that the battalion chief is not going to pay you OT for writing reports that have to be done by the end of the shift yet you ran a cardiac arrest late call but are also the only probie on the department. Do not want trouble. Also want to be paid for hours worked.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
When you find out that the battalion chief is not going to pay you OT for writing reports that have to be done by the end of the shift yet you ran a cardiac arrest late call but are also the only probie on the department. Do not want trouble. Also want to be paid for hours worked.
Paperwork. That's work, and in most places, against the law. Are you union? I would speak with a shop steward.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
**** them, get your money.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

Sorry that you got put in that position. I don't think the culture is going to change as much as you would like when you're off probation. I think if you push the issue you are almost guaranteed to get a black mark on your reputation.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Sorry that you got put in that position. I don't think the culture is going to change as much as you would like when you're off probation. I think if you push the issue you are almost guaranteed to get a black mark on your reputation.

Agreed. Document it, see a lawyer.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My BC dealt with it and apparently a memo on ensuring ambulance crews are paid for documentation time when they are busy and choose sleep over reports. So maybe it was worth it? My BC is awesome.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I just had a speaker proposal accepted for the National Conference on EMS in Atlantic City in November. I’m pretty excited to finally break into the conference game. If you’re gonna be there, I’m speaking on Quality Management and EMS simulation. Come say hi.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, was laying in bed at the fire station, playing on my phone, when a Pulse Point "CPR Needed" notification appeared. Like "wait, what?" Open it, see the address is at the shopping center right next to station, then sure enough, a few seconds later we get the Bop: "Engine 19 Cardiac Arrest..."

Fortunately we get there and the patient is awake, was "just" a syncopal episode, but still, a bit crazy that I actually got that notification, and that it came in before we were officially dispatched.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone use the revel vent that can take a picture of the screw at the lower center of the docking port on the back? Or even better, know what size it is?

Apparently ours fell out and its how the mount is attached to the vent. Short of taking the AC out of service to take the vent to the hardware store, im out of ideas.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Anyone use the revel vent that can take a picture of the screw at the lower center of the docking port on the back? Or even better, know what size it is?

Apparently ours fell out and its how the mount is attached to the vent. Short of taking the AC out of service to take the vent to the hardware store, im out of ideas.
Get a Hamilton: problem solved.