the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
I just had a speaker proposal accepted for the National Conference on EMS in Atlantic City in November. I’m pretty excited to finally break into the conference game. If you’re gonna be there, I’m speaking on Quality Management and EMS simulation. Come say hi.

Congratulations.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I've written a book. (Working on editing)

I've got tickets to go see to my first concert in October (Bought them in May)

My ball python is a very happy eater.

I'm 23 next month.

Summary of my recent life.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

"Hawaii health officials are considering how to reduce unnecessary ER visits through a community paramedicine program. The revised emergency transport system that could begin next year would allow medical professionals to transfer patients to predesignated destinations, such as urgent care clinics, or even provide complete treatment at the scene."

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan

"Hawaii health officials are considering how to reduce unnecessary ER visits through a community paramedicine program. The revised emergency transport system that could begin next year would allow medical professionals to transfer patients to predesignated destinations, such as urgent care clinics, or even provide complete treatment at the scene."

Well, I was in dispatch (not working, just listening to Joe they do things), the company has contracts with Uber and Lyft to get people places cheaper than an ambulance. So. That's nice.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

Manatee County (Florida) has an awesome Community Paramedicine program. It has won many awards in the few years it's been operating.

Screenshot_7.png

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Well, I was in dispatch (not working, just listening to Joe they do things), the company has contracts with Uber and Lyft to get people places cheaper than an ambulance. So. That's nice.
MedStar has probably the most robust Mobile Integrated Healthcare program of any EMS provider in the country and they have done more for the industry in terms of billing reform than probably anyone else. Even better, if an agency approaches them for help with MIH/CP stuff, they'll just give a huge packet of stuff and invite you to come meet with them.
Manatee County (Florida) has an awesome Community Paramedicine program. It has won many awards in the few years it's been operating.

Glad they got there's back and operating, to my memory some budget issues forced a temporary closure of the program a few years ago.

View attachment 4540

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
My wife’s aunt was at Cielo Vista Mall, but luckily didn’t get shot. My cousin works at the mall too but was off today. Friends are safe so far. I’ve been to that Walmart hundreds of times. Mildly surprised it was El Paso but this is America 2019 so I reckon it’s normal to have a weekly mass shooting.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My wife’s aunt was at Cielo Vista Mall, but luckily didn’t get shot. My cousin works at the mall too but was off today. Friends are safe so far. I’ve been to that Walmart hundreds of times. Mildly surprised it was El Paso but this is America 2019 so I reckon it’s normal to have a weekly mass shooting.
Dang man. Good all your people are safe. I saw pictures of a line out of the door of the blood center, so st least there's people who are helping the victims.

I see it as future "Weekly reason to carry"

(More like every day, but yeah)

They need to stop giving any of these guys any attention, that's what they want.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Dang man. Good all your people are safe. I saw pictures of a line out of the door of the blood center, so st least there's people who are helping the victims.

I see it as future "Weekly reason to carry"

(More like every day, but yeah)

They need to stop giving any of these guys any attention, that's what they want.
One of my carry guns is pretty much always with me, especially when I go to the city I work in. Not often in the problem areas, but sometimes I am near them or passing through.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
One of my carry guns is pretty much always with me, especially when I go to the city I work in. Not often in the problem areas, but sometimes I am near them or passing through.

Yep. Assume I'm always armed. And if for some proper-signage metal-detecting reason I'm not able to, it's in my car when I'm out and about and I assess where I am for improvised weapons entry/egress points, potential problem people, etc.

I don't want to get caught without a plan, and I won't. If something happens, will my plan go how I think it should? Probably not, but I've got to start somewhere.

"The 23-year-old says people her age “don’t think something like this is going to happen.”

That's not me. I get accusations of PTSD, etc., but when the crap hits the fan, who's the one who doesn't panic and at least tries?

Granted, I'm not the average 22 year old (cliche, yes), but that's okay.

Long story short, train, stay armed, and pray you never are called to pull the trigger on a person, but if you are, know there's no other way and it's necessary to protect the innocent people.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not much one for the tin foil hat crowd, but I cant help but start to feel theres more to it than random lone wolves, like there's someone actually planning these things.

**** like this wasnt happening 15-20 years ago when I was a kid, and gun laws/kids playing violent videogames/ people taking or going off their meds for mental issues... doesn't seem like those have changed all that drastically.

But things aren't all doom and gloom, crime rates, particularly murder rates, peaked in the 80s and 90s and have consistently since then dropped to half of what they were then vs now. Plus more people were beaten to death by hands and feet than are killed by rifles, so we're def not the war torn hell hole the media likes to make us out to be.

Personally I find it funny that the same people arguing for banning rifles and the like, are very often the same people arguing for the decriminalization of drugs because prohibition has failed, even though even obtaining necessary amounts of supplies to make drugs is regulated, and their very presence is banned, people still make and buy and sell and consume them, so why fight it? But somehow prohibiting "assault" rifles will be different... like the REAL problem, the cartels and the gangs murdering each other for street corner space to sell their dope, are suddenly gonna obey gun laws but not drug laws...

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm not much one for the tin foil hat crowd, but I cant help but start to feel theres more to it than random lone wolves, like there's someone actually planning these things.

**** like this wasnt happening 15-20 years ago when I was a kid, and gun laws/kids playing violent videogames/ people taking or going off their meds for mental issues... doesn't seem like those have changed all that drastically.

But things aren't all doom and gloom, crime rates, particularly murder rates, peaked in the 80s and 90s and have consistently since then dropped to half of what they were then vs now. Plus more people were beaten to death by hands and feet than are killed by rifles, so we're def not the war torn hell hole the media likes to make us out to be.

Personally I find it funny that the same people arguing for banning rifles and the like, are very often the same people arguing for the decriminalization of drugs because prohibition has failed, even though even obtaining necessary amounts of supplies to make drugs is regulated, and their very presence is banned, people still make and buy and sell and consume them, so why fight it? But somehow prohibiting "assault" rifles will be different... like the REAL problem, the cartels and the gangs murdering each other for street corner space to sell their dope, are suddenly gonna obey gun laws but not drug laws...

I know what you mean. I don't generally origami foil, but these media people are just as bad. Guns=Satan now, and you're a devil worshiper if you hold onto your evil weapons.

But, don't you worry, they'll take them off your hands and make you safe.

But the second active shooter, shot dead within minutes, by who? None other than evil cops with evil guns.

And let's not forget the bystander who helped protect kids with his evil gun.

>:c

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
With my EDC gun which yes I carry everywhere has 10+1 and with my holster I can carry a spare 12 round mag... I’m not going down for a lack of fighting these psychopaths back.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
With my EDC gun which yes I carry everywhere has 10+1 and with my holster I can carry a spare 12 round mag... I’m not going down for a lack of fighting these psychopaths back.

6+1

2 spare mags, 1 6rd and 1 7rd.

Gun in the car, 15+1
Spare mag

They may get me, yeah, but they're going to have to work for it.

As it is said

"Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun" and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass."

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yea, I'm not going to live like that. My pistol is not going to keep me safe from some person with body armor and a rifle intent harming as many people as possible. Even if I had my gun on me, which I would not because I just don't want to carry, I think getting as far away from the threat is the strategy. There is no way I could switch gears mentally from being out shopping to dealing with some sort of threat. It's one thing to be in a tough spot at work, when you're mentally prepared for that. I am not going to be mentally prepared for much when I'm at a bar with my friends. I know this about myself. I keep seeing this whole "if only there was a good guy there with a gun" mantra and I just don't get it. I hope your (I mean this in the plural sense) training will allow you to find cover, avoid shooting one of the dozens of panicking people nearby, and keep you from getting shot yourself, either by the perpetrator or law enforcement. If it does great, but I think we should all remember that this sort of training is a huge commitment and proficiency is challenging even for law enforcement, who at least have the benefit of going to work everyday with a prepared mindset.

I also respect that there are many reasons to carry a gun. I do not intend to dissuade anyone from doing so. I am not some bleeding heart that hates guns. I just hope pragmatism will prevail.