the 100% directionless thread

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Did my first nasal intubation in like 8 years today. Like riding a bike. With a whistle. That’s attached to a tube in some dude’s nose.
I'm curious. What were the indications to do a nasal intubation?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I did an EJ... Not a cool as a nasal tube.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Every once in a while a thread from a decade or so back will pop up in the new posts section. Man, EMTLife had a different vibe back in the day.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Every once in a while a thread from a decade or so back will pop up in the new posts section. Man, EMTLife had a different vibe back in the day.
It was sooooo much better. And the Sasha/medic Robb/Mr brown drama was awesome.

I mean... It's good now.

CALEMT

Today has been swift water rescue day. So far since 8am every call I’ve ran has involved flood water. Been up since 6am yesterday morning.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Rolled the dice on pan searing a sirloin and just opened a bunch of windows. Gamble paid off. Need a more appropriate sized cast iron skillet, but I may never put a steak on a grill after trying this way.

Went in on a quarter of a steer with some co-workers and have about 150lbs of meat coming in. Looking forward to experimenting with this.

Last edited:

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Rolled the dice on pan searing a sirloin and just opened a bunch of windows. Gamble paid off. Need a more appropriate sized cast iron skillet, but I may never put a steak on a grill after trying this way.

Went in on a quarter of a steer with some co-workers and have about 150lbs of meat coming in. Looking forward to experimenting with this.
Pan searing with a nice butter baste is definitely the only way I cook steak now, as of two or three years ago. Never putting another steak on a grill again. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is how to scale that up for more than a couple steaks at once.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I may need to learn to do this pan seating magic.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Pan searing with a nice butter baste is definitely the only way I cook steak now, as of two or three years ago. Never putting another steak on a grill again. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is how to scale that up for more than a couple steaks at once.
Maybe there is a good way, but between trying to track times, keep the butter baste going, flipping, and then whatever other little things you add in, it seems like it could become a bit much after a point.

I may need to learn to do this pan seating magic.
Pat it dry. Brown sugar, salt, pepper, steak seasoning, anything else you prefer. Get the pain nice and hot. Olive/canola/peanut oil (whatever you keep around). Put it in for 2 minutes. Flip. Butter (and rosemary, etc. If you wanna go further). 2 more minutes. Do each side once more for a minute while basting with butter. Done.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Try reverse sear. Only way I'll do mine. Nice thick ribeye, pat dry and salt a night or two before cooking. Leave open in the fridge. Then 275 f until it hits your ideal temp, I've been pulling mine at 122-123. Resting for 8-10 minutes while I finish cooking whatever else then pan seared for a minute or so each side in a hot pan.

CALEMT

Oil changes in a snowy driveway in 20 degree weather always makes for an interesting experience.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Tried the reverse sear tonight, but it's a crapshoot without a thermometer. Was still real good, but definitely cooked more than I like.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Man my oven sucks, I bought a new in oven thermometer (no built in one)... took an hour set at 450 to reach 425... 30 min more set to 500 to actually reach 450...
That’s pretty bad. Mine is only off by like 15 degrees and it takes about ten minutes longer than when it says it’s at temp.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
While on the subject of cooking, I’d like endorse the Instant Pot. It’s head & shoulders above the traditional rangetop pressure cooker and has fantastic outcomes.

(No, I’m not being paid to advertise it.)

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Tried the reverse sear tonight, but it's a crapshoot without a thermometer. Was still real good, but definitely cooked more than I like.

I picked up a probe thermometer at Target for $ 14-15 that's worked great. And it's TSA approved.