the 100% directionless thread

Lo2w

Forum Captain
We joke about turning up/on the PTs 02 at the nursing home but I finally got to see it live!

Fire: which pt is in respiratory distress?

Me, pointing to the PT calmly eating dinner and what kind the news.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'm pretty sure I was in V-tach all through the Chargers/Steelers game.

RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Yeah, but I can buy one with 15k miles and not be the one to take the price hit.
You’re assuming there’s a significant price difference between new and nearly new.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
You’re assuming there’s a significant price difference between new and nearly new.

Certain brands lose market value so fast that a 4-5 y.o. ride will cost 50% or less than a new one. All it takes is finding one with low mileage, which might take a while, but it’s worth it for some folks. Personally, my biggest issue with that is not having manufacturer’s warranty, and since all components have a shelf life, I prefer buying or leasing a new car.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm...dispatched for a stroke, 92 yo F with zero neuro symptoms, but a lil chest pain... 12 lead came back with possible STEMI...

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Hmm...dispatched for a stroke, 92 yo F with zero neuro symptoms, but a lil chest pain... 12 lead came back with possible STEMI...

We had one on Thanksgiving, 90% blockage. Calm as could be, just woke up with a bit of chest pain.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I had one go straight to or for an emergency CABG.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Had a unicorn today. Picked up at a SNF for a psych transfer and was greeted with all paperwork, a complete set of vitals and a comprehensive report on the patient's history and episode prompting the transfer.
what

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The unicorn is that that very rarely ever happens. Usually at SNFs it’s like pulling teeth to get any information. Typically all I get is “I think your patient is in bed 5B” so I get no report, no paperwork, nothing, and have to hunt down staff members until I can get those required items.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
That was me being more surprised than confused. A SNF or rehab facility being ready like that has never happened for me.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Certain brands lose market value so fast that a 4-5 y.o. ride will cost 50% or less than a new one. All it takes is finding one with low mileage, which might take a while, but it’s worth it for some folks. Personally, my biggest issue with that is not having manufacturer’s warranty, and since all components have a shelf life, I prefer buying or leasing a new car.
Yeah, but the warranty usually only covers the first few years. When you buy something that's 3-5 years old, anything that was going to go wrong that the warranty would've covered has already gone wrong.

I'd much rather buy used if it means getting a real low mileage vehicle and saving 20%, but the last couple vehicles I've bought I got new because they were specific ones that (in these parts, anyway) hold their value really well and don't cost much less used than new. Tacomas and 4runners are very much like that around here. Jeep Wranglers and 3/4 and 1-ton pickups too, especially diesels. And people drive a lot around here, so it's not uncommon to see a 5 year old vehicle pushing 100k miles already.

Saw an article somewhere (WSJ?) not long ago talking about how nationally, the price gap between used and new is much closer right now than usual. That certainly reflects what I see around here. Doesn't mean used isn't a good way to go, just depends on what you want and can or want to pay for. Cash for clunkers didn't do used car buyers any favors.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The 4runner I’d owned prior to my Tacoma had around 100k miles driven off the lot. It ran like a brand new vehicle with maybe 1-2 minor hiccups in its lifespan with me.

I actually miss it quite a bit, and got excellent trade in value when I bought my Taco almost 10 years ago. My wife loves her Highlander as it has ample room for our Disney trips. And, also ample room for our third child that’s on his way.

I love having no car payment and am currently not in the market for a new (used?) vehicle, but if it’s TLDR: you can’t go wrong with Toyotas, IME.

RocketMedic

I honestly base my car purchases on safety and fuel economy more than anything else. Next one will be loaded with active safety tech.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
My FJ cruiser is practically worth more than it was new in 2013 :cool:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The 4runner I’d owned prior to my Tacoma had around 100k miles driven off the lot. It ran like a brand new vehicle with maybe 1-2 minor hiccups in its lifespan with me.

I actually miss it quite a bit, and got excellent trade in value when I bought my Taco almost 10 years ago. My wife loves her Highlander as it has ample room for our Disney trips. And, also ample room for our third child that’s on his way.

I love having no car payment and am currently not in the market for a new (used?) vehicle, but if it’s TLDR: you can’t go wrong with Toyotas, IME.
I’ve owned Tacos and 4runners and loved them. My wife has a 2010 rav4 with almost 200k on it and it runs like new. When she finally gets rid of it we want a new a 4Runner.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Yeah, but the warranty usually only covers the first few years. When you buy something that's 3-5 years old, anything that was going to go wrong that the warranty would've covered has already gone wrong.

I'd much rather buy used if it means getting a real low mileage vehicle and saving 20%, but the last couple vehicles I've bought I got new because they were specific ones that (in these parts, anyway) hold their value really well and don't cost much less used than new. Tacomas and 4runners are very much like that around here. Jeep Wranglers and 3/4 and 1-ton pickups too, especially diesels. And people drive a lot around here, so it's not uncommon to see a 5 year old vehicle pushing 100k miles already.

Saw an article somewhere (WSJ?) not long ago talking about how nationally, the price gap between used and new is much closer right now than usual. That certainly reflects what I see around here. Doesn't mean used isn't a good way to go, just depends on what you want and can or want to pay for. Cash for clunkers didn't do used car buyers any favors.

I understand where you’re coming from.

On the other hand, based on personal experience with domestics, the bad things start happening right on the 4-5 yrs cusp, just as the manufacturer’s warranty is about to, or just expired. I’ve had these issues with multiple Chevys and made sure to stay away from used ones whenever I could (unless I personally knew the previous owner & had a complete service record). Not a big fan of buying a bag o’cats.

At the same time, back in 2008-9 when Obama was bailing out the dying automotive industry in Detroit, GM managed to smuggle in a line of rebranded Vauxhalls. Once I saw it and having a love from 1st sight history with it, I immediately bought the Astra XR, for a steal of a price. I still drive it, just cleared 50k and the only service it had is the regular maintenance (oil, milestone tune ups etc). The only 2 big things that were replaced in these 10 years are the ignition wires + distribution cup, and a set of tires; the latter weren’t replaced because it was going bald, but simply out of precaution due to age. It’s a great, comfortable commuter with an above average gas mileage.

And just for the record, I never disagreed with you on this subject, but IMO it’s very situational.