the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When she finally gets rid of it we want a new a 4Runner.
We’d considered getting her a newer model 4runner, but she was set on the Highlander. I was just glad I was finally able to convince her she deserved a new vehicle.

It’s the perfect fit for a family of our size. And it also gives her the feeling of not being higher up, or in a truck. She didn’t like that about my 4runner and cringes when driving my Taco. Even though neither are quite the brodozer.

The massive windshield on her Highlander is pretty advantageous for her as well. All in all, agreed that their car lines seem efficient across the board.

@RocketMedic I can’t argue with safety either. Do you by chance own a Subaru or VW? I know those two companies really pride themselves on their safety features.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, but the warranty usually only covers the first few years. When you buy something that's 3-5 years old, anything that was going to go wrong that the warranty would've covered has already gone wrong.

I'd much rather buy used if it means getting a real low mileage vehicle and saving 20%, but the last couple vehicles I've bought I got new because they were specific ones that (in these parts, anyway) hold their value really well and don't cost much less used than new. Tacomas and 4runners are very much like that around here. Jeep Wranglers and 3/4 and 1-ton pickups too, especially diesels. And people drive a lot around here, so it's not uncommon to see a 5 year old vehicle pushing 100k miles already.

Saw an article somewhere (WSJ?) not long ago talking about how nationally, the price gap between used and new is much closer right now than usual. That certainly reflects what I see around here. Doesn't mean used isn't a good way to go, just depends on what you want and can or want to pay for. Cash for clunkers didn't do used car buyers any favors.

This, coupled with the fact interest rates on used vehicles typically aren't great compared to what one can get with great credit on a new car loan. I just purchased a new Subaru Legacy last month, and when comparing new vs. used I really wasn't going to save any money and got a much better interest rate for new financing so that kinda made my decision for me.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Halfway through CCP clinicals. Two thoughts of the day. A: I really, really, really hate being back on a day shift schedule. 2: Just a few short weeks before this will all be done and I can't wait.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So there was a pursuit that ended with the guy TC’ing at a church right behind our station. We were coming back from another call and just happened to roll past the scene as the sheriffs department was making entry. K-9, long guns, the whole nine yards. 2 hours later the ghetto bird (sheriff helicopter) is still circling overhead and the sheriffs department has a perimeter set up. Just another typical night in my roll area. Just goes to show the area I’m working in lol.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So there was a pursuit that ended with the guy TC’ing at a church right behind our station. We were coming back from another call and just happened to roll past the scene as the sheriffs department was making entry. K-9, long guns, the whole nine yards. 2 hours later the ghetto bird (sheriff helicopter) is still circling overhead and the sheriffs department has a perimeter set up. Just another typical night in my roll area. Just goes to show the area I’m working in lol.
What station are you covering?! Sounds like some stuff that would happen at 79s

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

Sounds exactly like Zone 5 in LACo. Not a day goes by without someone getting shot in the face.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Sounds exactly like Zone 5 in LACo. Not a day goes by without someone getting shot in the face.
Reminds me of the time when I was at McCormick, we were returning to our station (Willowbrook) when we heard our sister unit from the station get dispatched to a GSW... we were about to jump the call, but then realized the address was on the same street as our station. We got back, parked (curbside there) and on the sidewalk could see the scene...

(Ghetto birds were also a nightly feature lol)

Def not something I've had to worry about too much at my current service area! (Althoigh there was a shooting a few weeks back in my 1st stations area!)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Had a true Anatomically difficult airway today.... Unfortunately it was on a peri-arrest TAA w/ Tamponade. Fun times

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Writing my resignation letter to probably the best boss I'll ever have. This sucks.

But also, my life needs some change.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Writing my resignation letter to probably the best boss I'll ever have. This sucks.

But also, my life needs some change.

I feel you, I'm transferring to one of our inpatient critical care units and that was a real awkward conversation.

Going full time at fire?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I feel you, I'm transferring to one of our inpatient critical care units and that was a real awkward conversation.

Going full time at fire?
"Single role" medic at one of the county fire districts.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I imagine the one that just got their mill levy increased. Is that actually going to be single role or will they have you cross staff the tender?

Qulevrius

Reminds me of the time when I was at McCormick, we were returning to our station (Willowbrook) when we heard our sister unit from the station get dispatched to a GSW... we were about to jump the call, but then realized the address was on the same street as our station. We got back, parked (curbside there) and on the sidewalk could see the scene...

(Ghetto birds were also a nightly feature lol)

Def not something I've had to worry about too much at my current service area! (Althoigh there was a shooting a few weeks back in my 1st stations area!)

Met one of the Willowbrook crews at St Francis last night. A somewhat new person to this area, she was all excited with telling us how they had 2 full arrests and a “GSW to the head” before the shift was even 1/2 way through. All I had to say was “Damn, that sucks.”

(What I really meant was “Sucks to be you.”)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Met one of the Willowbrook crews at St Francis last night. A somewhat new person to this area, she was all excited with telling us how they had 2 full arrests and a “GSW to the head” before the shift was even 1/2 way through. All I had to say was “Damn, that sucks.”

(What I really meant was “Sucks to be you.”)
That is a bit busy for even that area... she'll get to make it up with a couple shifts of nothing but etoh, psych, 3am-havent-pooped-in-2-weeks-but-no-pain, flu like symptoms...

Qulevrius

That is a bit busy for even that area... she'll get to make it up with a couple shifts of nothing but etoh, psych, 3am-havent-pooped-in-2-weeks-but-no-pain, flu like symptoms...

I’m not excluding creative story telling, but in case she’s telling the truth - that childish fascination with everything dead and bloody, will either go away very soon, or she’ll have to see a medical professional for it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The are def has more than it's fair share of "gnarly" and "cool" calls like that and they do sometimes come in waves lol... my second to last shift we had three different major auto accidents with extrication and multiple patients (including one fatality sadly) and one where we were the first unit on scene with about a half dozen patients (3 or 4 were kids... one was fairly serious, the rest were mostly all right... but me and my partner sure were feeling more than a lil overwhelmed especially since fire was taking their sweet time getting to that scene.... but I digress) after all that my last shift was literally nothing but various psych patients...

Besides, when you're brand new, having only had Hollywoods depiction of EMS, and a 120-150hrs of war stories before getting probably a rental rodeo job, getting a few gnarly calls can be exciting and make you feel like you're actually doing the E part of EMS, so I can't blame the new girl...
Then again I was happy today when I got an Activated Fire Alarm call cuz it meant I had an excuse to put on my turnouts to a call lol (though we DID have a car into a ditch, that wasn't really in a ditch... a drill on 2 1/2" hose handling... and a high school kid who managed to OD on a vape pen and CBD oil, and that was my good shift today lol)

Qulevrius

I’m not saying that having a bit of an adrenaline rush is a bad thing for a new hire, but having seen the “We Chase The Reaper” stickers, the fire culture-based uniform designs and the too-cool-for-school attitudes... Let’s just say, there doesn’t have to be a concentration gradient for my salt to spurt out like a geyser.