the 100% directionless thread

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
go available, tell the cops to call you back when they have secured the scene.

plenty of other people need your help, and in the cities, a non-violent psych is a not a high priority call.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Hypothetical "what would you do?"

Dispatched for a psych run called by a 3rd party not on scene. CAD notes say pt is schizophrenic, urinating on self and hearing
voices. Police have been dispatched.

Stage for PD or check it out?
Stage. No ifs ands or buts. I like going home to my wife and kid.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
My last company, if we were instructed by dispatch to stage, we were expected to stage until cleared to enter by LE or Fire (the engine co in my old first in area oftened ignored staging instructions and would go on scene anyway....) If NOT told to stage, we were expected to go on scene and make patient contact like normal, though we were of course allowed to exercise discretion and back out if need be. In a case like this where you might expect to stage, but were not instructed to do so, they'd often say "No staging instructions, approach with caution".
(One time there was a shooting 2 blocks from our station, we were returning from the hospital listening in as our sister unit at station got the call...they got the approach with caution instructions and went and made scene...and then dispatch tried to tell them to stage...after making patient contact...they exercised their discretion, saying they werent in any more danger than parked a block away and stayed on scene ha)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Aaaand now I have a referral with a orthopedics doc since the PA thinks I might have a wee labrum tear. Guess my time out of the gym is about to get longer.:mad:

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
So follow up on that hyperkalemia guy. We don't actually have a protocol for it (part of why I wasn't as aggressive as I wanted to be), so I've talked to my Chief and am now to draft a hyperkalemia protocol.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm...taking the plunge and signing up for Twitter lol

I just need a username. My old Army MOS, 37Fox doesn't really apply to me much anymore as that phase is over....

So I'm officially soliciting username ideas from the peanut gallery lol (cue the "Jimmy McJimmyFace" entries hahaha)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Well doctor man says he doesn't see any tears in my shoulder....still no idea why it hurts lifting to the side.....cool....

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hmm....MCHD is hiring with a base salary of $60.5k and they pay extra for fancy book learning...hmm.

I hear rumors of a pay raise, but I have yet to see one...hmm.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The amount of food I cooked for a single engine company last night:
20180413_170727.jpg

Aaaaannnd what was left over:
FB_IMG_1523743803699.jpg

terrible one

Always wandering
Had a pt with a STEMI and a possible CVA.... stroke center or stemi center that is the question...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I was told that since I run the agency FB page, I am also the PIO. So I went to a PIO class, where I learned (among other things) that fortunately the PIO is not supposed to really do interviews on camera but rather coordinate them. Nobody ever listens to me...here I am on the damn evening news.
That's not being a PIO, that's being a Communications Coordinator. There's a difference. Both are important, but are different.

The PIO is going to be in front of the camera, pushing information out to the public.

The Communications Coordinator will be presented with an issue, find the subject matter expert, and craft a message so they (the expert) can go in front of the cameras.

terrible one

Always wandering
Ya we ended up going stemi, it was a discussion since the pt went unconscious suddenly with a blown right pupil and fixed gaze to the right. We were thinking hemorrhagic stroke, but we went cardiac route anyway.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Had a pt with a STEMI and a possible CVA.... stroke center or stemi center that is the question...
Yeah for out two major hospitals being both cardiac and stroke centers.