the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Which school is being discussed here? *curious*

Tacoma Community College in Tacoma Washington.

Yeah the classroom was a little cramped where we took the test. They sure are looking forward to the new building and I sure hope I get to be a part of the first group of students to get to be in it. And Chaz. They were thinking that they could drive around the block while we try to start IV's and intubate. But other than that they have no idea what they are going to do with it. PR maybe? I'm looking forward to next week when I find out if I move on or not. I sure hope so. But I am looking at a sizable private loan to be able to go. :(

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My paramedic program had a couple older ambulances they used for simulations. Some of it was a bit silly seeing as we all had >2 years of 911 EMT experience going in, but they did some cool things with them.

We had a few weeks before the start of our internships where they set up mock patient scenarios in various areas of the city and we drove around responding to fake calls and transporting the mock patients to actual participating EDs. The coolest part of that was they had us working with EMT students from the same school for a more realistic experience for everyone.

That's awesome. We do the same thing here. EMT and AEMT classes generally just get driven in circles but medic classes will go to the hospital and do hand offs sometimes. If you want to make a simulation as real as possible, that's the way to do it.

We would just have either a student or an instructor that was an employee run next door to our Ops building and grab a fig that was stocked and good to go and use that. Used to be allowed to use supplies as long as the instructors restocked the bins and sealed them so the VST department didn't have to clean up our mess but with so many shortages that's a no-no now.

Sounds like TCC runs a pretty solid program from what y'all are saying. Hell, if DE likes it it's gotta be decent ;) :p

Benzo is getting more comfortable, she really doesn't like female humans though...she's not good with dogs either. Anyone have tips or tricks they used to socialize their pup? It seems like she was either abused. Also seems like she was attacked by another dog in the past with how skittish and on edge she is. I'm afraid that when she gets bigger it'll turn into aggression and I definitely don't want that to happen.

PotatoMedic

I had a pup that did not like guys (except me) or other dogs. She was very shy and still would be a submissive pee'er at times. My best advice is just slow acclimation. Let her have her space around others and tell the female humans to aknowledge her but to kind of "ignore" her. And if Benzo gets close say hi again and slowly reach out a hand.

Pretty much just let Benzo come to them and not them to Benzo. But get her acclimated and don't force her. But expose her even if she does not like it. And if you ever get a permanent human female benzo will learn to lover her.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Happy birthday!

Also, I found out those stickers were strategocally placed... To hide when he dropped it on one side. Didn't think anything of it, since he had it the same way on both sides. Oh well...
Also... DMV :glare:

First, Happy (belated) birthday, Anjel. You have my sympathy, I can't remember the last birthday I didn't work...I think it might have been 24.

Second, any drop that can be covered up with stickers isn't that big a deal. If he had to replace the fairings you might have a torqued frame. As it is check the front fork's alignment and as long as it's good, enjoy the bike.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
I *HATE* misplacing my wallet!

I was deathly ill and in the hospital in Feb/March (and a SNF in April *heavy sarcasm* Oh, joy above all joys) and somehow or another my wallet ran off between the ambo, the ER, and my parents' place. (all credit cards have been cancelled) After searching for what seems like forever (and calling the hosp to see if I left it there) I've given up and am ordering replacements for all the cards inside. This is a long, slow, annoying process!!

But I survived septic and neuroleptic shock, and I'm not much worse for wear, according to my doctor, aside from being set back a few months on fitness. So I guess I should count my blessings!

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
First, Happy (belated) birthday, Anjel. You have my sympathy, I can't remember the last birthday I didn't work...I think it might have been 24.

Second, any drop that can be covered up with stickers isn't that big a deal. If he had to replace the fairings you might have a torqued frame. As it is check the front fork's alignment and as long as it's good, enjoy the bike.

It was actually exodus' birthday lol

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I *HATE* misplacing my wallet!

I was deathly ill and in the hospital in Feb/March (and a SNF in April *heavy sarcasm* Oh, joy above all joys) and somehow or another my wallet ran off between the ambo, the ER, and my parents' place. (all credit cards have been cancelled) After searching for what seems like forever (and calling the hosp to see if I left it there) I've given up and am ordering replacements for all the cards inside. This is a long, slow, annoying process!!

But I survived septic and neuroleptic shock, and I'm not much worse for wear, according to my doctor, aside from being set back a few months on fitness. So I guess I should count my blessings!
Glad you're OK. No more rat jokes?

PotatoMedic

I kinda missed the rat jokes...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I kinda missed the rat jokes...

What pet rat? I don't have a pet rat.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1413
1413.png

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Every 15 Minutes Campaign...

While they do dramatize things a little bit, this is one of the events I've volunteered to help with whenever the opportunity arose. This one was one of the EFM events that was just done about a week ago here in the Sacramento area. Please note, they usually fly one patient in and bring in one by ground, but this time they weren't able use the helicopter, so both came in by ground. The Youtube embedding thing isn't working well... so click on this link: http://youtu.be/mq0AnL18ToI

And yes, I'm in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
While they do dramatize things a little bit, this is one of the events I've volunteered to help with whenever the opportunity arose. This one was one of the EFM events that was just done about a week ago here in the Sacramento area. Please note, they usually fly one patient in and bring in one by ground, but this time they weren't able use the helicopter, so both came in by ground. The Youtube embedding thing isn't working well... so click on this link: http://youtu.be/mq0AnL18ToI

And yes, I'm in the video.

I enjoy doing the every 15 minutes for the high school. We also fly one patient out of the scene and transport ~4. Police will take one to jail. We make it look as real as we can. We will cut ET tubes and then place it in a tube holder and place that on one of our volunteer students. The last time I did it we also did decided to simulate drilling an IO into the volunteer.

PotatoMedic

I got to participate in a DUI drill for a high school a week or so ago. My favorite video so far is the UK's don't text and drive.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Uh Oh... I just noticed that JPINFV has changed his "Training" status to the most dangerous one known in Medicine... Resident!!!!!!!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Feels good to be back home after a week of training. But its short lived I have to be back up north for my shift on Monday... at least I'm home for mothers day

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
JP where are you doing your residency if you don't mind me asking? Did you end up doing EM?