the 100% directionless thread

8jimi8

CFRN
oh i quit posting a while back when there was a rash of my friends turning out to be lying about who they were.... Anyone remember medicRob and Sasha. jeebus.

it was so much drama i just stopped.

but here i am again, back in the EMS world.. I guess its been about two years, really. I traveled as an ICU nurse for the last 2 years. I put in one application on a whim and BOOM. J O B.

Couldn't be happier. I'm up in Flagstaff and the team is amazing. Super honored to be chosen by this team.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Oh yes, I remember those two well... To my knowledge there haven't been any more like that since then.

Glad to see you back, and congrats on the flight gig!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
oh i quit posting a while back when there was a rash of my friends turning out to be lying about who they were.... Anyone remember medicRob and Sasha. jeebus.

it was so much drama i just stopped.

but here i am again, back in the EMS world.. I guess its been about two years, really. I traveled as an ICU nurse for the last 2 years. I put in one application on a whim and BOOM. J O B.

Couldn't be happier. I'm up in Flagstaff and the team is amazing. Super honored to be chosen by this team.

Wait, sasha wasnt real either?!?!?! Oh my..

Anjel

Forum Angel

8jimi8

CFRN

seriously, you didn't see that?

it was huge.

she wasn't a paramedic. she was a basic.

wait.. who was it she dated? he knew and never blew her cover.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Her name wasn't even Sasha. She dated hotelco and the reaper or something like that.

8jimi8

CFRN
Her name wasn't even Sasha. She dated hotelco and the reaper or something like that.

correct. she has a baby now, as far as i know shes happy and healthy

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Oh wow, that's crazy. I didn't know that either. :eek:

Going to San Diego tomorrow.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Where the hell have you been? Lol

I didn't know that either :wacko:

Today is going to be a long day. My medic partner can't map to calls, doesn't know how to do paperwork, doesn't know how our system works (SSM), and it took him forever to figure out how to clock in and out for his shift. This may be one of the times I have to write up a report to the supervisor.

Today is going to be a long day. My medic partner can't map to calls, doesn't know how to do paperwork, doesn't know how our system works (SSM), and it took him forever to figure out how to clock in and out for his shift. This may be one of the times I have to write up a report to the supervisor.

I've been dealing with that lately. It's horrible.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sweet, got an oral interview with San Diego Fire-Rescue scheduled. Granted it's not for another two months practically, but hey, it's positive movement away from the barely above minimum wage sit-in-the-cab-parked-on-a-street-corner gurney pusher job I have now lol

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

I'll take him off your hands for you! Sounds like a fun day. Looks like he's working a 24 today as well... I get 2 partners today too, each for 6 hours, haha.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
What a shame, absolutely gorgeous 1957 Chevy Bel Aire, totalled. Thankfully the driver is going to be fine, but the ER doc wasn't too pleased to hear no seatbelt, no airbag

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'll take him off your hands for you! Sounds like a fun day. Looks like he's working a 24 today as well... I get 2 partners today too, each for 6 hours, haha.

I noticed they didn't have a medic for your shift. Figured they decided to let you roll solo haha

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
SQ and IM injections on students today. Not extremely fun for me :sad:

I didn't really mind when we learned this in my AEMT class, we came into the class and they gave us a med math problem then we practiced drawing up the dose with NS then gave SQ and IM injections. A lot of people hated it and said they would rather take a IV, but it didn't bother me at all. We then did IVs later that night and had one girl pass out and a guy get all pale and almost pass out, it was a very interesting night to say at the least but also a fun and educational night to.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Just got yelled at for giving 1 nitro to a pt with chest pain. It dropped his pressure from 131/78 to 88/66. After a liter of fluid his pressure came up to 98/70.

His 12 lead was normal so therefore the doc said I shouldn't of given any meds.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just got yelled at for giving 1 nitro to a pt with chest pain. It dropped his pressure from 131/78 to 88/66. After a liter of fluid his pressure came up to 98/70.

His 12 lead was normal so therefore the doc said I shouldn't of given any meds.

You still have to call the person that graduated last in the class "Doctor".

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Heh, seen this a million times on EMTLife, but didn't expect to be put into the position myself.

Been trying to get hired at 911 in my area for about four years now (applied when it was AMR back then, it switched to a different company and I applied to them too). I've interviewed once, and was not hired.

Decided to give San Diego a shot, I have an interview there very soon.

After I scheduled an interview with San Diego, they found a preceptor for me at the 911 in my area and they are hiring now (10 full time EMT positions, 10 part time EMT positions). That's a lot of open positions!

Pros to San Diego:
- I'd finally have a chance to do 911.
- I'd live closer to my brother, maybe even with him.
- New start. I feel like I've wasted a lot of time in the bay area.

Cons to San Diego:
- I have to move.
- I wouldn't know the area, hospitals, people, company well.
- I'd take a $2/hr pay cut.
- Probably conflict with the preceptor they found for me.
- I'd initially do primarily IFT still on a BLS unit. (I've worked dedicated CCT for about 2 years.)

Pros to 911 in my area:
- I'd finally do 911 (it's exclusive, no IFT calls.)
- Pay is way higher. Starting pay is $6/hr more than what I currently make (I am told $6/hr night differential so $12/hr more if I work night), $8/hr more (or $14/hr more if I work nights) than what I would make in San Diego .
- The protocols, policies, company, area, hospitals, and a fair amount of people that work there wouldn't be foreign to me. I've done several ride alongs with the division and have worked in the county for almost three years.
- Wouldn't conflict with my internship.

Cons to 911 in my area:
- None if I get the job.

Only bad thing is that last time the 911 in my area was hiring, I didn't apply to all the other places that were hiring (including San Diego, I applied and withdrew my application), I turned down an interview for a company that does 911, but requires you to do >6 months IFT for them first (starting pay was about $4/hr more than what I currently make), I interviewed, and didn't get the job. I massively regret not pursing other places.

This is all the same company (the 911 in my area, the division I work for right now, and San Diego), and if I transfer, I am not allowed to transfer for at least one year. Each division is treated like a different company and it's not easy to transfer.

This is killing me because the timing is so lousy.

San Diego sounded like a good idea. I was gonna look for my own paramedic preceptor there and finally have a chance for 911. I feel like I've wasted time in the bay area, passed up on a lot of opportunities. Not giving San Diego a try I think is a stupid idea.. if I straight up didn't interview with them or turned down a job offer if one is made, but interview with the 911 in my area and don't get a job offer, I am stuck where I am at now (only pro would be that I would easily be able to do my paramedic field internship within a week or two from now). If I didn't give my 911 area a try right now and went all in for San Diego and got offered a job, accept, I would likely either have to turn down the preceptor my school/911 found for me (likely) and look for one in San Diego or fly/drive back and fourth (8 hour drive) every week to do my field internship. Not really realistic. I would be turning down a chance to doing exclusive 911 for significantly higher pay than both my current division and the one in San Diego also.

One of my friends I talked to (he works for San Diego) really wants me to go to San Diego, and doesn't think I have a chance for the 911 in my area. I dunno, I feel like my odds are way higher than before.

Am I crazy for even thinking that San Diego might not be as good of an option now?

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
Why can't you apply for both?

Heh, seen this a million times on EMTLife, but didn't expect to be put into the position myself.

Been trying to get hired at 911 in my area for about four years now (applied when it was AMR back then, it switched to a different company and I applied to them too). I've interviewed once, and was not hired.

Decided to give San Diego a shot, I have an interview there very soon.

After I scheduled an interview with San Diego, they found a preceptor for me at the 911 in my area and they are hiring now (10 full time EMT positions, 10 part time EMT positions). That's a lot of open positions!

Pros to San Diego:
- I'd finally have a chance to do 911.
- I'd live closer to my brother, maybe even with him.
- New start. I feel like I've wasted a lot of time in the bay area.

Cons to San Diego:
- I have to move.
- I wouldn't know the area, hospitals, people, company well.
- I'd take a $2/hr pay cut.
- Probably conflict with the preceptor they found for me.
- I'd initially do primarily IFT still on a BLS unit. (I've worked dedicated CCT for about 2 years.)

Pros to 911 in my area:
- I'd finally do 911 (it's exclusive, no IFT calls.)
- Pay is way higher. Starting pay is $6/hr more than what I currently make (I am told $6/hr night differential so $12/hr more if I work night), $8/hr more (or $14/hr more if I work nights) than what I would make in San Diego .
- The protocols, policies, company, area, hospitals, and a fair amount of people that work there wouldn't be foreign to me. I've done several ride alongs with the division and have worked in the county for almost three years.
- Wouldn't conflict with my internship.

Cons to 911 in my area:
- None if I get the job.

Only bad thing is that last time the 911 in my area was hiring, I didn't apply to all the other places that were hiring (including San Diego, I applied and withdrew my application), I turned down an interview for a company that does 911, but requires you to do >6 months IFT for them first (starting pay was about $4/hr more than what I currently make), I interviewed, and didn't get the job. I massively regret not pursing other places.

This is all the same company (the 911 in my area, the division I work for right now, and San Diego), and if I transfer, I am not allowed to transfer for at least one year. Each division is treated like a different company and it's not easy to transfer.

This is killing me because the timing is so lousy.

San Diego sounded like a good idea. I was gonna look for my own paramedic preceptor there and finally have a chance for 911. I feel like I've wasted time in the bay area, passed up on a lot of opportunities. Not giving San Diego a try I think is a stupid idea.. if I straight up didn't interview with them or turned down a job offer if one is made, but interview with the 911 in my area and don't get a job offer, I am stuck where I am at now (only pro would be that I would easily be able to do my paramedic field internship within a week or two from now). If I didn't give my 911 area a try right now and went all in for San Diego and got offered a job, accept, I would likely either have to turn down the preceptor my school/911 found for me (likely) and look for one in San Diego or fly/drive back and fourth (8 hour drive) every week to do my field internship. Not really realistic. I would be turning down a chance to doing exclusive 911 for significantly higher pay than both my current division and the one in San Diego also.

One of my friends I talked to (he works for San Diego) really wants me to go to San Diego, and doesn't think I have a chance for the 911 in my area. I dunno, I feel like my odds are way higher than before.

Am I crazy for even thinking that San Diego might not be as good of an option now?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Why can't you apply for both?
I did, but that's not the problem. The problem is San Diego put up openings first, and offered an interview first. If they offered me a job, I would miss the opportunity of the other one (same company, different division) cause you are not allowed to transfer for at least 1 year. If they offered me a job, and I turned it down, I would be turning it down for only a chance to be offered a job that the other one. Transferring isn't smooth or easy, you still have to apply and interview, you compete with other applicants who don't work for the company. I actually did apply and interview for the other one about a year ago, and I didn't get the job.

If I move to San Diego, it would also further delay my paramedic internship. I just turned a preceptor down because he didn't work with my schedule at all. They rapidly just found a new one for me within days that does work with my current schedule, and if I move to San Diego, I'd likely have to turn him down too.

I've been an EMT for almost 4 years. I've been doing IFT-only for almost 3 years, no 911 experience except some ride alongs. I really want to do 911 finally.

Last edited by a moderator: