the 100% directionless thread

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Wouldn't it help a lot to finally manage to finish your paramedic internship? If I were you, knowing the trouble you've had finding a preceptor, I'd stay where you are for now and pound this internship out of the way. After that, move slightly beyond the California EMT glut by at least being certified as a medic and being able to apply to medic jobs. Who knows what avenues that may open up for you?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
At least it's a pretty day to be at work.
avura2us.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm not going to touch that thread...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Lol neither, the being too stupid one. The initial response I had would've sent me on a vacation.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Lol neither, the being too stupid one. The initial response I had would've sent me on a vacation.

I had one typed up too that I chose to delete. I was really close to taking what I still hope to be pure troll bait.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well stopping medic school for a while. :( hoping to start again before the end of the year. But only time will tell.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
correct. she has a baby now, as far as i know shes happy and healthy

Good for her. I'm glad she has been able to put her life together.

And now for something completely different...you couldn't pay me enough to cross the Cascades and get anywhere near Seattle tomorrow.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
"Don't be the victim of a single mother."

Maybe I should've listened to my friend for once...

Aprz I'm with Chaz. I'd knock out your medic internship but that's just me. I know you've put up with a lot for a long time. I'd talk to them and see what the wait, if any, would be like in SD.

Last edited by a moderator:

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, off to a new job in the morning. Followed by hours of studying for my first test day on skills the day after, followed shortly by a unit test that night... I feel like my head is about to explode. If I say so myself, I'm good on all my stuff for skills. I just have issues talking through it. It's so stupid to me. "Well, you have to say it all in case the evaluator doesn't see you do it..." Shouldn't they be paying attention to see if I actually am doing it correctly?
My last trauma station for EMT, never even touched the pt. Evaluator never looked up from her phone. It just frustrates me they want us to take it so serious, but they don't even realize what's going on except the background voice saying it...
Oh well, play the game, I s'pose.
Edit: and oh that thread. I saw the title earlier and didnt realize it was troll bait.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I did, but that's not the problem. The problem is San Diego put up openings first, and offered an interview first. If they offered me a job, I would miss the opportunity of the other one (same company, different division) cause you are not allowed to transfer for at least 1 year. If they offered me a job, and I turned it down, I would be turning it down for only a chance to be offered a job that the other one. Transferring isn't smooth or easy, you still have to apply and interview, you compete with other applicants who don't work for the company. I actually did apply and interview for the other one about a year ago, and I didn't get the job.

If I move to San Diego, it would also further delay my paramedic internship. I just turned a preceptor down because he didn't work with my schedule at all. They rapidly just found a new one for me within days that does work with my current schedule, and if I move to San Diego, I'd likely have to turn him down too.

I've been an EMT for almost 4 years. I've been doing IFT-only for almost 3 years, no 911 experience except some ride alongs. I really want to do 911 finally.

No finishing your medic ASAP would be a mistake I'd think. Finish it and go work 911 as a medic. You're wasting your time at this point looking for a 911 EMT job.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Finish your medic first, Yeah it does suck doing IFT only, but I think the opportunity to be a 911 medic may be more beneficial along with more pay.

Besides that you worked on medic school for this long why stop to just get a 911 job right now?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Well stopping medic school for a while. :( hoping to start again before the end of the year. But only time will tell.

That sucks dude, I had to stop right at my last semester, where I would have did PALS and NREMT Prep. needless to say I took too long to reboot and I had to start all over again.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Heh, I was notified today there was a "hiccup" with my medic school today. Since I haven't been active for 6 months, it's policy that I am terminated from the program even though all I can do is wait for a preceptor. He said I have to go back to the school to fill out a form to request being put back into the program and they'll review - can't legally say for sure whether or not I'll be accepted back in. Doesn't cost more money thankfully.

He said if accepted back in, this will not interfere with me getting a preceptor still. The one that they were planning for me to get can still take me after this "hiccup".

I told him that this is clearly not a "hiccup", it's more than that. I'm back in town tomorrow night so I'll turn in the form Wednesday morning. I hope all it will be is a hiccup.

The way I see it, I can have both. The 911 in my area will absolutely not interfere with my internship. The 911 San Diego probably would, but it may not be that long. 911 for my area wouldn't be just about me finally doing 911, but also very very significant pay increase.