the 100% directionless thread

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Im kind of surprised how mant people can freely give fentanyl. They make it sound so evil here.

Were pretty progressive and getting more so all the time but fentanyl is a no go in adults.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
All y'all talking about Meds and I'm just sitting here going "I can give oral glucose..."

...but I can't even use a Glucometer to see if they need it because even though they're practically sold over the counter it has a needle and is too invasive for a Basic to use -_-

MissK

Forum Crew Member
My partner slammed on the brakes, and I (nicely) asked her to be more careful. She got pissed off and once we got to the hospital, she said, "Was that a smoother ride for you, master? It wasn't my fault!"

.....Really?

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
All y'all talking about Meds and I'm just sitting here going "I can give oral glucose..."

...but I can't even use a Glucometer to see if they need it because even though they're practically sold over the counter it has a needle and is too invasive for a Basic to use -_-

I feel ya, bro..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I can actually test a patients BGL...... The medic just has to tell me to do it per policy :glare:

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief

gotta love LA county

I can actually test a patients BGL...... The medic just has to tell me to do it per policy :glare:
Riverside, well at least better than oc and LA.

You guys need to come to Kern. EMTs king, combi, and lots more. I liked riverside though as well, just not as much as here now

kirky kirk

RN, EMT-B

I know BLS. :lol::lol::lol:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
gotta love LA county

You guys need to come to Kern. EMTs king, combi, and lots more. I liked riverside though as well, just not as much as here now

Don't tempt me lol

Looking at the Hall Ambulance website and that application button looks mighty tempting....

Just gotta figure out how to uproot from the SGV first lol (wonder if I convince the gf to get a job in Bakersfield and move away from downtown LA?)

(Or at least move somewhere closer so I do t have a two hour, half a tank of gas one way to get to Kern Co drive)

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Somehow all of the male nurses on my unit, 4 of us, got scheduled for the same day on the same hall. It was one of the best shifts I have ever had. Absolutely no drama, no *****ing, and no nervous breakdowns. Awesome.

Except the Med/Surg floor called and cancelled 4 codes so I had to run back and forth all day for no reason

JPINFV

Gadfly

If the patient's at a SNF, I'd just ask the staff to get one... you know... for the hospital.

JPINFV

Gadfly

I believe that assisting the medic with a BGL is now an EMT skill in OC. However, same thing... it's medic assist, not an EMT primary skill.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
But I don't plan on staying a Basic forever, how does the Paramedic scope in LA Co compare to others? Obviously here being a Fire Medic is best (and about only) option if you want to run 911 as a medic, but is their scope still (for lack of a better word) laughable? Or are they at least somewhat on par?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Somehow all of the male nurses on my unit, 4 of us, got scheduled for the same day on the same hall. It was one of the best shifts I have ever had. Absolutely no drama, no *****ing, and no nervous breakdowns. Awesome.

Except the Med/Surg floor called and cancelled 4 codes so I had to run back and forth all day for no reason

Dude when I was a PCT at a hospital I used to love getting floated to a floor with other male staff members. My home floor was all women. Made for a very nice change

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't tempt me lol

Looking at the Hall Ambulance website and that application button looks mighty tempting....

Just gotta figure out how to uproot from the SGV first lol (wonder if I convince the gf to get a job in Bakersfield and move away from downtown LA?)

(Or at least move somewhere closer so I do t have a two hour, half a tank of gas one way to get to Kern Co drive)

If you are honestly interested Lmk, I can update you on things you'd like to know. Many people live out of the county and just rent a apartment with like 4 guys to just sleep in. And go back to Sacramento, Ventura, riverside, LA, etc. That's if you work 12s. You can get a nice 2 bed apt for 800 and as low as 600. Moral is good and we have over 56% of employees over 5yrs. Not to mention good protocols, dispatch system. BLS unit here is in charge of the scene even over fire on 911 calls. We have kaiser insurance paid for 100% by the company, that's including copayments, etc. After 4 months of employment.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
But I don't plan on staying a Basic forever, how does the Paramedic scope in LA Co compare to others? Obviously here being a Fire Medic is best (and about only) option if you want to run 911 as a medic, but is their scope still (for lack of a better word) laughable? Or are they at least somewhat on par?

That's fine, get your medic school paid for along with your full pay and benefits while you attend. Protocols, Haha not even comparable to LA county. Needle cric, Peds intubation, narcs are morphine, vallium, versed, and even ativan just recently added. Dopamine, lido, mag drips. All standing orders !!!! Gotta love communication failure protocol.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
TRSpeed, I sent you a PM asking about a gazillion different questions about Hall Ambulance

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So I just watched a 3rd degree block reaolve itself. I didn't know that was a thing :confused:
Somehow I don't think that block will stay resolved for long…