the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
:p I'm jealous of some of the ambulances here. They are amazing and also taking to the crews and seeing how broad their protocols are compared to my counties.

That's because there generally aren't any paramedics in So. Cal... just glorified EMTs.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone here heard of an STD called "Blue waffle"? Someone once told me about it and how it was so gross and blah blah blah... So I decided to do a little research on it CDC, medcape, web md, mayo, etc. Found one picture on the Internet that was on numerous sites. Looked like a bad infection. Haven't found anything regarding it on any reputable medical sites. I've seen responses on yahoo answers to people's questions as well as urbandictionary (lmao.)
I'm very skeptical that there is an actual disease due to no information on it except for the BS websites I found. I also believe that it is just a prank.
I appoligize for the question, I usually don't fall into stupid things like this, but I'd like to educate someone next time they bring the topic up.
Thanks.

It's not an actual disease but a mixture of multiple STD's and infection, found this out when I showed one of the nurses at my old company and she just loved the picture and actually started using it for some of her classes....

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
And at the amount FEMA is paying for the ambulances, no ambulance company wants to go home anytime soon.

Bingo!

Plus it probably qualifies them for future government contracts/tax breaks ect.

ThirdCareerMedic

Forum Crew Member
It's not an actual disease but a mixture of multiple STD's and infection, found this out when I showed one of the nurses at my old company and she just loved the picture and actually started using it for some of her classes....

Just for interest sake, I checked out the Urban Dictionary and found the following....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blue+waffle

Blue Waffle
It appears to be an STI/STD on and in the vaginal region. This disease/infection is fictional and overly exaggerated vaginal infection (vaginitis). Images of the disease popped up on the internet on 03/18/10. The image created false concerns and misled people on the subject of vaginitis. No medical professional has provided proof for the existence of this disease/infection. The images of the disease have not yet been hosted by any medical site (legitimate). The individuals who allegedly had this ailment have not come out publicly. Which means the images were fabricated in photoshop. The images mislead uninformed, young, and naive members of the population; causing some to be too scared to engage in sexual activity. If you're 30+ and believe in this hoax...tie your tubes or get your self snipped.

The actual condition (vaginitis) causes; excessive itching, inflammation abnormal discharge, a burning sensation in the vulva. A women gets infected with vaginitis due to stress, poor diet, douching, unprotected sex, spermicidal lubricant, insufficient lubrication during intercourse, using unsanitary/unclean instruments for masturbation, or switching sexual partners within a twelve month period. This condition usually clears on its own, but antibiotics can be obtained to control the bacterial growth. It does not lead to anything resembling the fabled 'blue waffle'.
John: "Oh ***************** did you hear?!"
Andrea: "What?"
John: "Suzie has blue waffle! She's a total slut!"
Andrea: "Or you're an idiot... She had vaginitis from douching you stupid twat. And besides it doesn't exist in any LEGIT medical publication."
John: "How would you know?!"
Andrea: "I actually graduated med school."

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Discovered that I can make protein pancakes out of almond milk and protein powder/eggs. 300 calories, 35g of protein. Delicious.

Whey protein? Or just all egg white protein? I'd like that recipe :)

medic417

The Truth Provider

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Has anyone here heard of an STD called "Blue waffle"? Someone once told me about it and how it was so gross and blah blah blah... So I decided to do a little research on it CDC, medcape, web md, mayo, etc. Found one picture on the Internet that was on numerous sites. Looked like a bad infection. Haven't found anything regarding it on any reputable medical sites. I've seen responses on yahoo answers to people's questions as well as urbandictionary (lmao.)
I'm very skeptical that there is an actual disease due to no information on it except for the BS websites I found. I also believe that it is just a prank.
I appoligize for the question, I usually don't fall into stupid things like this, but I'd like to educate someone next time they bring the topic up.
Thanks.
It's completley fake. That picture was photoshopped, it started going around like my freshman year of hs (3 years ago). There was someone that wrote about it on mayo and actually researched it and it's origins and determined it as fake.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Whey protein? Or just all egg white protein? I'd like that recipe :)

Whey and eggs.

1 scoop whey protein powder
1/2 cup unsweetend vanilla almond milk
2 egg whites.

Stir, cook like a pancake.

Can make protein pudding too.

1 thing of fat free instant pudding mix
1 scoop of nutella
2 cups almond milk.
2 scoops whey protien powder.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wow. Thinking I might just become a supervisor at my company after hearing how much they make per year :blink:

bigbaldguy

Whey and eggs.

1 scoop whey protein powder
1/2 cup unsweetend vanilla almond milk
2 egg whites.

Stir, cook like a pancake.

Just seems to easy to be even remotely edible but I'm definetly giving it a go tomorrow morning :) I wonder if it would work with soy milk? It would add another 7 grams of protein. Adding a little coconut butter might make them a little richer tasting. I'll play around with it tomorrow.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Just seems to easy to be even remotely edible but I'm definetly giving it a go tomorrow morning :) I wonder if it would work with soy milk? It would add another 7 grams of protein. Adding a little coconut butter might make them a little richer tasting. I'll play around with it tomorrow.

Eating one right now it tastes great.

I used vanilla protein powder by the way with fat free cool-whip and sugar free syrup.

You can absolutely use soy milk. I used almond milk because almond milk has 40 calories per cup and soy has 100. Skim milk is only 90.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am really stressed out trying decide what to do for my first RN job. My two potential options are...

1.) Stay on the floor which I currently work, a Cardiac/Tele floor. Keep tuition assistance.

2.) Apply for Trauma ICU at a different hospital system. Lose my tuition assistance from my current hospital and have to pay back ~$4k.

None of this is set in stone but I am confident I will get the job on my current floor but no clue about the Trauma ICU.

I have to decide if paying back the money and potentially burning a bridge at that large hospital system is worth the ICU experience. If I did get the ICU job that would save my time working towards my MSN.

Or I could get neither jobs and be back to square one :rofl: just trying to plan ahead since most places only give you a few days to accept offers.

ThirdCareerMedic

Forum Crew Member
I am really stressed out trying decide what to do for my first RN job. My two potential options are...

None of this is set in stone but I am confident I will get the job on my current floor but no clue about the Trauma ICU.

It all boils down to risk, doesn't it?

1.) Likely to get present job and be $4,000 ahead AND get nursing experience in cardiac/tele in large hospital

2.) Not sure to get ICU job; get job and be $4,000 behind and get nursing experience in a field of your interest in a smaller(?) hospital that could help you get your advanced degree sooner....

Do many nursing students, including those with your background, get ICU jobs directly out of school? Are you expected to "pay your dues" in less attractive positions (like EMS in many areas) before you are looked at for a "premium position"?

What do you think?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
My dog's chest and neck are too beefy... Or his head is too small, I've gone through about eight different harnesses and collars of various sizes and have yet to find one that he can't slip out of. Little mutt needs to ease up on the push ups.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Do many nursing students, including those with your background, get ICU jobs directly out of school? Are you expected to "pay your dues" in less attractive positions (like EMS in many areas) before you are looked at for a "premium position"?

What do you think?

The ICU hospital is actually a Level 1 trauma where as my current hospital is non-trauma. Both hospitals are medium/large hospitals that are part of large systems.

It is 50/50, some places are 100% against new grads in the ICU where others encourage it. The common thought seems to be that ICU is so different and specialized that they must completely retrain you regardless if you are a new grad or have experience elsewhere so some like starting with blank slates (new grads) and training your their way from the beginning.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I would say that the you should only do ICU if they have a program specifically designed for new grads. Otherwise go to the floor where you can put more of your skills to the test and also build foundational knowledge for future decisions such as going into ICU, ED, OR, or any administrative position.

Source: I am in a nursing family and a lot of my non-premed college friends are nurses (or students still).