the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Interestingly enough I was reading over my unit's policy book and RNs are technically allowed to intubate if they are ACLS certified and no higher qualified practitioner is present or available. Who knew. Except I do not think this has ever or will ever happen with the abundance of RTs, PAs, and MDs around. The only thing I could think of would be like a serious MCI.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Interestingly enough I was reading over my unit's policy book and RNs are technically allowed to intubate if they are ACLS certified and no higher qualified practitioner is present or available. Who knew. Except I do not think this has ever or will ever happen with the abundance of RTs, PAs, and MDs around. The only thing I could think of would be like a serious MCI.

If it's a serious enough MCI, patients who need intubation are tagged expectant, no?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
picture.php

Someone pointed out that while napping I look like an intubation dummy.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have a confession to make.

I am a closet wacker.

There's simply nothing cooler than having one of those voice pagers cry out, "Trauma alert, 34 year old male with stab wound to the chest. Paramedics report decreased right side chest sounds. Needle thoracostomy performed. ETA 10 minutes by air," and then walking out to meet the helicopter.

I think I need help.

bigbaldguy

I have a confession to make.

I am a closet wacker.

There's simply nothing cooler than having one of those voice pagers cry out, "Trauma alert, 34 year old male with stab wound to the chest. Paramedics report decreased right side chest sounds. Needle thoracostomy performed. ETA 10 minutes by air," and then walking out to meet the helicopter.

I think I need help.

I can think of one thing cooler. Having it happen while you're standing next to that really cute girl you've been trying to talk to for the last three days. Just as you start to talk to her the pager goes off and you say "sorry gotta go save a life but we'll talk later babe" then you make that little pistol with your thumb and index finger and wink as you pretend to fire it at her.

Women like that kind of thing right?

bigbaldguy

I wonder how far we could get the tube in before you start fighting back? :p

It had been a long day so I would probably have just let you do it to save me the effort of having to breath.

This was my first day of clinicals by the way :) That's how we roll out her in the lone star state dog!

JPINFV

Gadfly
I can think of one thing cooler. Having it happen while you're standing next to that really cute girl you've been trying to talk to for the last three days. Just as you start to talk to her the pager goes off and you say "sorry gotta go save a life but we'll talk later babe" then you make that little pistol with your thumb and index finger and wink as you pretend to fire it at her.

I think I'd get smacked if I did that to a med student or resident.

On the other hand, I wanted to throw it out the window on about the 3rd code stroke today. All of the codes (blue, stroke, etc), rapid response, trauma alerts/activations (different levels of response), c-sections, and deliveries go through the same voice pager channel. The best was when the overhead page in the ED came before the voice pager. It's like, "Pick up pager from pocket... prepare to press SILENCE button."

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

Only if you're wearing a leather jacket with aviators.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

They do if they look like this....

WARNING: NSFW - nudity

http://tinyurl.com/8vbj4ry

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Only if you're wearing a leather jacket with aviators.

Next change to the uniform. :rofl:

On a side note, this will be the second time I am working on a certification that they will change the protocols half way through my class. Except this time they're not revising (like they did during my EMT-B), they're rewriting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
, this will be the second time I am working on a certification that they will change the protocols half way through my class. Except this time they're not revising (like they did during my EMT-B), they're rewriting.

I had this happen to me during medic school. the county I'm did a complete rework for their protocols.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Spelling mistake of the day: Cholostomy. Definition: A Latino with a colostomy. Ahh, rotations with an attending with a sense of humor.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Mmm Pumpkin wheat beer. I'm now counting six bottle, 7 textbooks, three laptops, and my ipad on our dining room table. Yep, gotta love being a student living with a student whose boyfriend is a student (all EMS)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief