the 100% directionless thread

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
It seems like it might not work with two different people in the bed.

Perfect! Now I have another excuse for why I sleep alone..."I'm not dating anyone because it would mess with my sleep cycle app." :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Perfect! Now I have another excuse for why I sleep alone..."I'm not dating anyone because it would mess with my sleep cycle app." :ph34r:

Bahaha.

My excuse is I have no time or life due to the fact that I spend nearly half my waking hours in an ambulance until school is finished.

Yours works too though :rofl:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah we don't have any tones for our units. Fire department does but not ambulance. We get to hear our dispatchers "Medic 106 post Monroe 52" or "Medic 106 Code 3". It's so weird to be sleeping and not hear any traffic then once you hear your medic number you wake up.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Bahaha.

My excuse is I have no time or life due to the fact that I spend nearly half my waking hours in an ambulance until school is finished.

Yours works too though :rofl:

Unfortunately, I'm not in school anymore, so that excuse goes right out the window...however, it seems I've spent half 95% of my waking hours at work over the past couple of weeks.

On that note, I am off to try my new sleep cycle app, good night all.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yeah we don't have any tones for our units. Fire department does but not ambulance. We get to hear our dispatchers "Medic 106 post Monroe 52" or "Medic 106 Code 3". It's so weird to be sleeping and not hear any traffic then once you hear your medic number you wake up.

We only get tones if we are in a hard post. The whole system hears them if they aren't in a hard post but the other hard posts only hear traffic when they are toned out specifically.

We have post tones to activate the pager in the post. If you are in a parking lot all you get is "Medic 325 traffic in the area of xxx and xxx, then if it's priority 1 or 2 they drop priority tones which activates a speaker in the fire dispatch center and they hear our unit getting dispatched to request a response from them as well.

I feel like I'm talking mumbo jumbo tonight. Sorry about that.

I got to use nitronox for the first time today. We don't carry it anymore but our paramedic patrollers at the mountain we post at carry it it along with morphine and fentanyl so we used it to get junior out of his jacket rather than cutting it off of him. Worked like a charm. I feel like it even worked better than the 200 mcg of fent I gave him during transport. Either way he was pretty comfortable. It was funny when the new grad nurse was like "wait you gave a 13 year old 200 mcg!?" "Yes ma'am, 100, then 50 halfway through transport then 50 more about 2 minutes ago. Took him from a 10/10 to a 4/10." Poor kid fractured his radius and ulna in his left arm snowboarding. He ended up going to the OR and getting some hardware and a killer scar to show off to the ladies.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
My partner talked me into trying this new Sleep Cycle app for my phone. I guess it uses the accelerometer to judge your sleep cycle and "gently wakes you up at the lightest point of your cycle starting 30 minutes prior to your set alarm time" or something of the sort.

He thinks it will hopefully help me be more awake in the morning rather than the zombie I am before I get a cup of coffee or an energy drink...we will see but hey, I'm open to anything.

I feel like I should set a backup alarm for the first few weeks. I don't think my supervisor would accept an experimental app as an excuse for why I'm late. :lol:

If it works with iPad I'm gonna give it a shot too.

bigbaldguy

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe I just nuts

My duty is to read as many posts as I can whenever I can. This 100% Directionless thread has turned into a habit that I once was afraid of getting but now have accepted. So I churn through the posts like I was flipping the pages of an animated cartoon. Sometimes it's fun, like just now.

Read a post
scroll down
read a post
scroll down
read a post
notice avatar
read a post
scroll down
BBG's face!
A BOLD headline!
read post
scroll down
pass avatar
read post
scroll down
read post
scroll down
BBG's FACE!!!!
(Damn, he's like an announcer!)
scroll down
go back to my Scotch.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ugh, tell me about it. 1/4 way through a 48 right now, get off 0700 tuesday, go to school from 0830 to 1830, back to work from 0700-0700, school again at the same time thursday, then I'm driving a couple counties north Friday night to work a two day soccer tourney over the weekend.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Because we are gonna get our big boy/girl medic pants. Lol

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We only get tones if we are in a hard post. The whole system hears them if they aren't in a hard post but the other hard posts only hear traffic when they are toned out specifically.

We have post tones to activate the pager in the post. If you are in a parking lot all you get is "Medic 325 traffic in the area of xxx and xxx, then if it's priority 1 or 2 they drop priority tones which activates a speaker in the fire dispatch center and they hear our unit getting dispatched to request a response from them as well.

I got to use nitronox for the first time today. We don't carry it anymore but our paramedic patrollers at the mountain we post at carry it it along with morphine and fentanyl so we used it to get junior out of his jacket rather than cutting it off of him. Worked like a charm. I feel like it even worked better than the 200 mcg of fent I gave him during transport. Either way he was pretty comfortable. It was funny when the new grad nurse was like "wait you gave a 13 year old 200 mcg!?" "Yes ma'am, 100, then 50 halfway through transport then 50 more about 2 minutes ago. Took him from a 10/10 to a 4/10." Poor kid fractured his radius and ulna in his left arm snowboarding. He ended up going to the OR and getting some hardware and a killer scar to show off to the ladies.

Good work! Wish we had it, it would help so much.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It was funny when the new grad nurse was like "wait you gave a 13 year old 200 mcg!?"

Ahhh new grad nurses. It's always fun when you shatter their view that all we do is drive ambulances and not do anything advanced. Just wait till you walk in with an RSI :rofl:

Apparently, ER nurses at our local level 1 can't give Phenergan. We can. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant

I fractured my radius and ulna once. I took an Advil.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ahhh new grad nurses. It's always fun when you shatter their view that all we do is drive ambulances and not do anything advanced. Just wait till you walk in with an RSI :rofl:

What is really fun is walking in with an RSI without any FFs. About 5 people started bombarding me with questions until I finally told them to hang on.

"Where are the rest of you!?!? "
"You're looking at all of us, so you're either going to have to give us a second or get in here and help".

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yeah. At my last service I got used to just having me and my partner on an RSI. Now, if I knock someone down and tube them, I'll have 6 people in the ambulance. It gets a little crowded. I've been told to "play nicer" with the BLS crews, because on priority calls when the ambulance starts looking like a clown car, I start kicking people out. "I want one EMT and my partner in here. Everyone else, OUT! Yes Chief, that means you!"

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Yeah. At my last service I got used to just having me and my partner on an RSI. Now, if I knock someone down and tube them, I'll have 6 people in the ambulance. It gets a little crowded. I've been told to "play nicer" with the BLS crews, because on priority calls when the ambulance starts looking like a clown car, I start kicking people out. "I want one EMT and my partner in here. Everyone else, OUT! Yes Chief, that means you!"

Weird, I've been told I need to start being nicer to the FD :p Of course, there are only a few select people from the FD that I'll take with me as a third rider. After my last ordeal with a crashing patient where two FF's stood outside lollygagging over who wanted to go, I don't think I'll be able to be as nice as people want me to be. :ph34r:

Well, I tried the sleep cycle app last night...it woke me up in the middle of the night when my phone fell off my bed. Then I woke up before my alarm this morning, so I'll have to do a little more testing on it.

bigbaldguy

Well, I tried the sleep cycle app last night...it woke me up in the middle of the night when my phone fell off my bed. Then I woke up before my alarm this morning, so I'll have to do a little more testing on it.

I couldn't get the app for the iPad to work at all.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

That's not really fair. You're implying that nurses get to decide what meds the patient gets.