the 100% directionless thread

Sasha

Forum Chief
Some of the most interesting cases I've had were IFT's

Take the time if you have it and dig into their chart and take notes. Then go back and research their patho.

Take it for what it is, a good learning opportunity. You have the right mind set goin.

You can learn a ton on IFTs, but you have to put forth the effort. I've learned more than I've ever needed to know about urinary catheters.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Take the time if you have it and dig into their chart and take notes. Then go back and research their patho.

Take it for what it is, a good learning opportunity. You have the right mind set goin.

You can learn a ton on IFTs, but you have to put forth the effort. I've learned more than I've ever needed to know about urinary catheters.

The more I think about it the more I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately he isn't a CCP so all the CCT transfers go with the CCPs but after talking to him a bit today they do get some good ALS transfers that he thinks I will learn a lot from.

Our transfers are relatively short and generally pretty straight forward as all our hospitals are pretty capable. I've been working on getting to know how the hospital charts are laid out during clinicals so I don't have to go on a treasure hunt to find what I am looking for.

Unfortunately we don't have great transport vents, only the little auto-vents so there's not a whole lot to learn about them. I've been trying to pick at RRTs brains to learn more but they are so busy at the hospital we do clinicals at they rarely have time to sit down and talk with us.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

I'll second that.
I did 72 hours of ride time with AMR for my basic in the Med Center in Houston. Incredibly complex cases. Many very sad cases but very interesting. Anybody who is able to do IFT day in and day out gets a lot of credit in my book. I couldn't do it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I guess im on the other side of this conversation. IFTs are not my thing. Normally (all the IFTs I've been on) are extremely boring. Hook up the monitors and hang the IV bags. Uneventful transport. But then again I'm not a fan of learning anything about long term care or treatment.

I treat the patient enroute to the hospital which is 1-120 minutes. Then hand the patient over and head back out.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Arg, my company is finally offering an EVOC class on a day I cannot go. :( So mad.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Unfortunately not. :(

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I was in the news, I was in the news!

Granted, you can't tell it's me because of the glare on the ambulances windshield, but it was me! Local news was at the hospital taping our ambulances for a story about a stolen ambulance taken from the ER today (ambulance NOT from my agency) and there I am in my truck!

In your faces!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Granted, you can't tell it's me because of the glare on the ambulances windshield, but it was me! Local news was at the hospital taping our ambulances for a story about a stolen ambulance taken from the ER today (ambulance NOT from my agency) and there I am in my truck!

In your faces!

Thus meaning you owe us, or at least myself, ice cream. I'll take chocolate fudge brownie ice cream :p

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Unfortunately we don't have great transport vents, only the little auto-vents so there's not a whole lot to learn about them. I've been trying to pick at RRTs brains to learn more but they are so busy at the hospital we do clinicals at they rarely have time to sit down and talk with us.

Message USAF... you will learn everything you wanted to know about respiratory and vents and probably some stuff you didn't.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Took a few Weeks off from the private. First shift back was last night, already hate my life again

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant

In your faces!

This you??

Had trouble with the buffering and was choppy so couldn't see everything.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Police-Man-Took-Ambulance-Out-for-a-Drive-142572415.html

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I feel a lot more productive when I sleep during the day and work during the night, lol. Feeling good.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I feel a lot more productive when I sleep during the day and work during the night, lol. Feeling good.

Wait really? I'm definitely a night person but I'm not a fan of working until 4-5-6 am. 1100-2300 is an awesome shift. Even 1300-0100 is nice. much later than that and I feel like I waste the day the next day. Even if I wake up and go to work. I've gotten too used to being awake by 0600 every morning.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I hate waking up early but I love my 0700-1900 shift. For me it makes the day go by super quick.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hated nights. I felt like life was passing me by and I never felt fully rested.

It was hard getting a full nights sleep because my dogs would be up or my neighbors would be making noise.

It was hard to schedule stuff like Dr appointments and cable guys anf spending time with my nephew or my friends because our schedules were flipped.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hate waking up early but I love my 0700-1900 shift. For me it makes the day go by super quick.

Here you work 7-7 and you are almost guaranteed to get off late and work a 14hr shift :D