the 100% directionless thread

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly! And....my own personal research has shown an astounding number of vegetarians/vegans with major health problems. Weird stuff too. Just my personal opinion. ;)

That's typically because they eat a crappy unvaried diet, not because they're not eating protein from meat. It's quite easy to eat a healthy vegetarian or vegan diet if you're willing to learn a bit about what you're eating and to actually cook your own food.

Lots of people in the US eat a crappy unvaried diet anyhow, regardless of if they're eating meat or not.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
How is this different from non vegetarians? Are you guys really going to argue that the "average" vegetarian is less healthy than the "average" non vegetarian. You can really say that the possibility of a lack of Vitamin B12, iron, vitamin D, calcium, iodine, and omega-3 fatty acids in people who follow a strict vegan diet is more harmful than the possibility of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and general health issues of non vegetarians. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in Americans, death from lack of Vitamin B12, iron, vitamin D, calcium, iodine, and omega-3 fatty acids ranks considerably lower on the list. I do agree that vegetarians tend to eat a unvaried diet but I think this is more because of a lack of options in many areas.

Just for full disclosure I am a vegetarian and I am about 20 pounds over my ideal weight, but my BP, cholesterol, ect are all excellent.

Now back to your regularly scheduled randomness :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

How is this different from non vegetarians? Are you guys really going to argue that the "average" vegetarian is less healthy than the "average" non vegetarian. You can really say that the possibility of a lack of Vitamin B12, iron, vitamin D, calcium, iodine, and omega-3 fatty acids in people who follow a strict vegan diet is more harmful than the possibility of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and general health issues of non vegetarians. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in Americans, death from lack of Vitamin B12, iron, vitamin D, calcium, iodine, and omega-3 fatty acids ranks considerably lower on the list. I do agree that vegetarians tend to eat a unvaried diet but I think this is more because of a lack of options in many areas.

Just for full disclosure I am a vegetarian and I am about 20 pounds over my ideal weight, but my BP, cholesterol, ect are all excellent.

Now back to your regularly scheduled randomness :)

By the way I just want to make it clear that I do not believe there is any ethical difference between vegetarians and non vegetarians as long as they both make sound choices on how their food is produced and sourced.

bigbaldguy

So I just took my dog for a walk and she tried to poo on a lawn gnomes head. Do you think she thought she was pooing on a tiny human.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It's possible to be incredibly unhealthy no matter what you eat. The issue I have with vegetarianism is I've run into too many that seem to think they're somehow morally superior to me and bolster their position with completely irrational arguments.

bigbaldguy

The issue I have with vegetarianism is I've run into too many that seem to think they're somehow morally superior to me and bolster their position with completely irrational arguments.

Oh don't get me wrong I do believe I am morally superior but it has nothing to do with the fact that I don't eat meat. I'm just a pompous :censored: :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Oh don't get me wrong I do believe I am morally superior but it has nothing to do with the fact that I don't eat meat. I'm just a pompous :censored: :)

that made me giggle

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
So I just took my dog for a walk and she tried to poo on a lawn gnomes head. Do you think she thought she was pooing on a tiny human.

"If only I could do this to the jerk I have on the other end of the leash!"

It's all good. My dog decided to conveniently purge his anal glands in the back seat of my car today.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Thats why I kill and butcher my own. If God or for those non believers evolution had not meant us to eat animals he or evolution would not have made them so tasty.

If we weren't meant to eat meat, animals wouldn't be edible.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Just listened to a crew fly a patient who was 10 freaking miles from two different trauma centers. The fail is so strong here, it defies words....

They are now candidates for the 2011 Ultimate Fail Award for Poor Prehopital Medisin sponsored by the Houston FD and their 16 week zero to Paramedic program

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
They are now candidates for the 2011 Ultimate Fail Award for Poor Prehopital Medisin sponsored by the Houston FD and their 16 week zero to Paramedic program

Fail is a group of overzealous EMT's that requested an ALS intercept for a trauma patient that was 5 minutes from the hospital just to start fluids in a scenario in PHTLS today.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Fail is a group of overzealous EMT's that requested an ALS intercept for a trauma patient that was 5 minutes from the hospital just to start fluids in a scenario in PHTLS today.

Had a basic crew from a company around here call for an ALS intercept for a chest pain patient. The crew was 4 minutes from the hospital, and waited 37 minutes for ALS to arrive. By the time ALS was there, the patient was in cardiac arrest.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Had a basic crew from a company around here call for an ALS intercept for a chest pain patient. The crew was 4 minutes from the hospital, and waited 37 minutes for ALS to arrive. By the time ALS was there, the patient was in cardiac arrest.

I hope thats not a true story...otherwise those guys need remedial training or something more harsh...maybe it was just my classes but it was drilled through our heads to NOT delay transport while waiting for ALS. If they meet you in route fine but don't sit on scene waiting.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yesssss my OT got approved. Looks like next paycheck will pay for my cruise! >:D

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I hope thats not a true story...otherwise those guys need remedial training or something more harsh...maybe it was just my classes but it was drilled through our heads to NOT delay transport while waiting for ALS. If they meet you in route fine but don't sit on scene waiting.

I was the only EMT in my group today, that after thoroughly assessing ABC's and doing an assessment, treating all life threatening injuries, that transported to meet ALS rather then re-assessing and waiting for them.

Some EMT's just dont think

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yesssss my OT got approved. Looks like next paycheck will pay for my cruise! >:D

Did my invite and ticket get lost in the mail?:sad: