the 100% directionless thread

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You ever run across those pts that you know should really be 5150s but just don't meet the state requirements of a 5150? I'v got a friend in the Escondito PD who calls them a 5149 and 1/2.
I've seen them get as close as 5149 3/4...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Come work psych. You'll get some great 5149.99999999999s... and I'd add the repeating sign on the last nine if I knew how to type it.

Ha! Gotta love it.

The repeating decimal sign can be replace by three periods… so I think you got it.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Gaaaaaaaaaaaa........:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: gggggggggrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmppffffttttttt..... dang it.....stupid:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: AARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
smileyvault-atomic.gif

I think I am done with my fire district. I had a run in with the chief t'other day......... Or did he have the run in with me? I dunno. Anyhow, I couldn't get ahold of him, had to make a choice on my own, made one he didn't like, and got railed at over the stupid radio for the entire county to hear. I have already had several people make comments on it. Never mind it was a mutual aid call, the other district was out of water, the fire was starting to run, and my on the spot decision to take an engine instead of waiting 10 minutes for a tender driver kept the house from burning to the ground. Then he refused to listen to me back at the station......and this is just the last in a LONG line of problems.......I am seriously considering quitting. I can do nothing right and trying to work on scene, fire or EMS, is like trying to play baseball with your hands tied behind your back. And I HATE being told I have an ego problem, think I am better than everyone else, and act like a child and need to grow up................ask anyone else I work with and they'll tell you different.
bash-smiley.gif

--end of rant--

Last edited by a moderator:

kd7emt

Forum Crew Member
That really sucks. I had a chief petty officer take me aside one day and give me some words of wisdom that have served me well. Praise in public; punish in private. Sorry to hear you got roasted by radio. It's unprofessional of the chief, in my opinion.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow lights! :( Thats terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( The chief should not have done that over the radio. I dont know much about fire operations, but did a decision you make make him look like a dolt? Maybe thats why he freaked because you made him look bad with your fast/smart decision? Best piece of advice I can give you, when everyone wants you to quit, keep going.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I dont know much about fire operations, but did a decision you make make him look like a dolt? Maybe thats why he freaked because you made him look bad with your fast/smart decision?

That's what it kinda sounds like to me, from what you posted.

Water supply arguments are so much fun. Some of the people at my station are still mad at some people from another station (and vice versa) over a call that happened a few months ago. You'd think they could get over it already, seeing as the property was a total loss well before someone even noticed to call 911.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow lights! :( Thats terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( The chief should not have done that over the radio. I dont know much about fire operations, but did a decision you make make him look like a dolt? Maybe thats why he freaked because you made him look bad with your fast/smart decision? Best piece of advice I can give you, when everyone wants you to quit, keep going.

No not really, I think it made our district look pretty good because we kept the house from burning to the foundation.

Here is the story:

I was in the station changing batts on airpacks, when the neighboring districts chief comes on the air and says, basically, Control, this fire is starting to run and has breached the roof, request mutual aid from District 5 (me). I and another firefighter run for the engine as the page comes out "District 5 respond two tenders to 123 XYZ Rd, mutual aid request from district 7 , structure fire, starting to run." Neiter I nor the other firefighter are authorized to drive the tender, so I get on the radio and ask the dist 7 chief if he wants an engine with 500 gallons and two people. Before he can answer, my chief comes on and gives me this broken up speech that takes a whole minute, out of which I hear maybe two words due to static. So I try to raise him two or three times, no reply, I ask dispatch, they had not copied him, I ask dist 7s chief, he had not heard. So I asked him, (Joe, district 7 chief) again if he wanted an engine right away or wait for a tender. He said he was down to maybe 250-300 gallons and any water would help, so I said I was responding. I get on scene, pull up and hook up to his tender which is hooked to his engine. The firefighter with me mans the pump panel and Joe asks me to pack up because he needs to start releiving guys, some of which are on their third bottle. So I pack up and go interior with one of his fresher crews. 10 minutes after I showed up on scene, the chief shows up with a 4000 gallon tender and hooks in through my engine. After we empty our tender and fill Joe's, my chief heads down the driveway so our next tender can get in. About then, we get an EMS call in the other end of the district, for the station where my engine is from. Joe says we can be released if we want, so we get on the radio and ask the chief if he wants us to go. This is the point at which I get roasted over the air. The chief says something about staying down south like I told you because the engine is the only rig down south with medical gear on it and basically how stupid I was. I don't remember the exact words. (Don't ask why there is only one medical rig at my station. That is a whole nother issue that I was strongly against and that is part of the issue now. If you only have one EMS rig, it will invarialbly be busy when that serious call comes in. And to make the only EMS rig the first out engine for any fire? I mean c'mon!! It could have just as easily been a fire next door to the station and the engine would have been just as tied up.) Anyhow, the chief left scene with his empty tanker, I helped Joe and his crew with some mop-up/overhaul, and then we went back to the barn. I started working on the airpacks again when the chief showed up at the station. He said he was furious, had filled up at another station and taken a long drive back to cool off. He hadn't. That is when he laid into me with how I disobeyed a direct order from him and dispatch by taking the engine, had a terrible ego problem (not sure how this applies), thought I know better than everyone else, and was a child that needed to grow up. About halfway through, after he told me he didn't want any excuses or explanations about 3 times, I just started saying yes sir and no sir. So I dunno what to do. And I'm really upset that the entire county heard me get grilled.:wacko:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
So I dunno what to do. And I'm really upset that the entire county heard me get grilled.:wacko:

I wouldn't worry about it. I think they're more likely to remember that he grilled someone publicly, instead of who he grilled. The entire thing reflects terribly on your policies and his lack of professionalism, not you. If anyone asks about it, I'd tell them your side of things, but otherwise just try to forget about it.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
do you absolutely love what you do and can you do it most of the time without aggravation? Can you do what you love to do anywhere else? I work for private ambo and if I let the BS affect me, I wouldn't have any fun at all. Good luck dude - take a few days and reflect.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I got grilled in front of the entie department once because I always somehow bump the air horn climbing in and out of the engines :blush:, not good coming back from a fire at 3 in the morning when everyone is asleep. But seriously in front of the entire county thats a load of BS. Ah well it will all blow over

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't worry about it. I think they're more likely to remember that he grilled someone publicly, instead of who he grilled. The entire thing reflects terribly on your policies and his lack of professionalism, not you. If anyone asks about it, I'd tell them your side of things, but otherwise just try to forget about it.

I completely agree and was about to say just the same thing. Just not as well. :p

Medic744

Forum Captain
I am totally wondering why I even bother putting in for days when the schedule maker just does what he wants anyway. :p

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I am totally wondering why I even bother putting in for days when the schedule maker just does what he wants anyway. :p

Hence the advantage of volly:

"No! I dont wanna go on a call, I have a date in an hour. He he he, I think theyll survive without me this once ^_^."

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Hence the advantage of volly:

"No! I dont wanna go on a call, I have a date in an hour. He he he, I think theyll survive without me this once ^_^."

Best of both worlds: vollie with defined shifts. Then I know not to schedule a date in the first place, and can actually be off when I'm off. :)

I hate wearing a pager...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Ha ha ha! Heard someone on the radio the other day doing their hospital patch. During it they informed the ER staff that their pt was "in extreme pain". Kinda had to wonder if they had been watching old re-runs there........:p

But I really needed the laugh, I've been way to grumpy lately.......