the 100% directionless thread

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Best of both worlds: vollie with defined shifts. Then I know not to schedule a date in the first place, and can actually be off when I'm off. :)

I hate wearing a pager...

Yeah I'm not gonna have a defined shift unless you pay me. No way! Only time our department ever takes count of okay who is avaliable when is holidays. Dont want to have all but 3 guys at their mom's house a state over then two of those guys not show up, leaving me the only medical left in our department's two and a half townships.

How can you hate wearing a pager? It makes cool noises that give you an excuse to leave when you don't want to listen to Billy Bob Joe brag about the huge deer he shot over the weekend, when you know in fact that he went DUCK hunting not Buck. :p

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
How can you hate wearing a pager? It makes cool noises that give you an excuse to leave when you don't want to listen to Billy Bob Joe brag about the huge deer he shot over the weekend, when you know in fact that he went DUCK hunting not Buck. :p

Because the damn thing always goes off right when I'm in the middle of something I don't want to miss, and I hate having to stay within a defined area. And it makes some demonic earsplitting hell-shriek, which is definitely not cool.

For us, dispatch always knows who's available. So if you're wearing your pager, you're on duty and expected to respond. If you live too far from the station to just jump on the ambulance when tones drop, you're probably also driving a department vehicle with gear and at least wearing a department t-shirt.

That being said, all of us are always "on call" for MCIs and serious emergencies. Dispatch has our cell phone numbers. Hasn't happened to me yet, though.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
My friend from class is interviewing today for a job I want. She'll probably get it. She has a degree in biology, she's pre-med and has tons of hours working reception at her dads clinic, who's also a doctor. *le sigh* I'm fighting off bad feelings. She's using this job to prepare for med school, I want it for my career. But I wish her the best because she's awesome and I know they are going to love her. *mumbles and pouts* I'll go sulk in a corner now.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
My friend from class is interviewing today for a job I want. She'll probably get it. She has a degree in biology, she's pre-med and has tons of hours working reception at her dads clinic, who's also a doctor. *le sigh* I'm fighting off bad feelings. She's using this job to prepare for med school, I want it for my career. But I wish her the best because she's awesome and I know they are going to love her. *mumbles and pouts* I'll go sulk in a corner now.

Ugh... I've been on both sides of that one before, and it's really hard. You're doing the right thing by trying not to lose a friendship over it, though. Besides, you don't know how it will turn out just yet.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
She may be over-qualified. As an employer, I would rather have someone who wanted the position for a career as opposed to someone just using me as a stepping stone.

Last edited by a moderator:

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Ugh... I've been on both sides of that one before, and it's really hard. You're doing the right thing by trying not to lose a friendship over it, though. Besides, you don't know how it will turn out just yet.

She really is just the cutest, sweetest girl and she's smart. I definitely do not want to loose my friendship but I'm grumpy today and that was not the news I wanted this morning. :glare:

She may be over-qualified. As an employer, I would rather have someone who wanted the position for a career as opposed to someone just using me as a stepping stone.

Thanks Kaisu. :)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
It's understandable... it really sucks to hear something like that. You're reacting more maturely than a lot of people in my class did after our first few rounds of interviews. Some never spoke to each other again. One girl who was part of my study group remains convinced that we gave her bad advice so that we'd get hired and she wouldn't. Some people are jealous of me because I got jobs, while I'm jealous of others who got more awesome jobs. As someone with a job, I try not to talk about it too much with my friends who didn't get hired, or who work at places that really suck.

That's a very good point. I know several people who lost jobs and now can't find anyone who will hire them because they're overqualified.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
It's understandable... it really sucks to hear something like that. You're reacting more maturely than a lot of people in my class did after our first few rounds of interviews. Some never spoke to each other again. One girl who was part of my study group remains convinced that we gave her bad advice so that we'd get hired and she wouldn't. Some people are jealous of me because I got jobs, while I'm jealous of others who got more awesome jobs. As someone with a job, I try not to talk about it too much with my friends who didn't get hired, or who work at places that really suck.

That's a very good point. I know several people who lost jobs and now can't find anyone who will hire them because they're overqualified.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I feel guilty enough for even feeling annoyed about it all in the first place. Cause she's nothing but an awesome friend.
I think of the people in our group that sat for state.... (and probably the even smaller group that passed state) she and I were one of maybe 3 looking to apply right away. The rest of the class was super upset with each other on the day we took our finals. (80% minimum pass to pass the class along with 80% minimum in the course) We had to do team evaluations that night, almost everyone on each team failed with probably one person on each team that passed. So most of the people who failed were doing things to purposely trying to drag down the people that passed. It was insane. <_<

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thanks, I appreciate that. I feel guilty enough for even feeling annoyed about it all in the first place. Cause she's nothing but an awesome friend.
I think of the people in our group that sat for state.... (and probably the even smaller group that passed state) she and I were one of maybe 3 looking to apply right away. The rest of the class was super upset with each other on the day we took our finals. (80% minimum pass to pass the class along with 80% minimum in the course) We had to do team evaluations that night, almost everyone on each team failed with probably one person on each team that passed. So most of the people who failed were doing things to purposely trying to drag down the people that passed. It was insane. <_<

Don't feel guilty for feeling annoyed. Everyone does... it's just being human. It's only cause for guilt if you actually let it impact your friendship.

That's really crazy. In my class, we had people who deliberately screwed other people over on the waiting times so that they could get everything done early, but that was the worst. We tested solo, though, so we couldn't really sabotage each other. Come to think of it, that might be the reason why they recently started doing things that way, because it requires more instructors and a lot more time.

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
Any spoilers you want to put out from House? Wait 12 minutes, and House will be over, and you're free to get your sandwitch.

I wouldn't waste a minute's sleep watching "House". That guy is an egotistical moron. Now "Bones", well....gives thought to jumping something. That woman is HOT!!!!

dmc2007

Forum Captain
My reciprocity ordeal has ended. Thank goodness.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't feel guilty for feeling annoyed. Everyone does... it's just being human. It's only cause for guilt if you actually let it impact your friendship.

That's really crazy. In my class, we had people who deliberately screwed other people over on the waiting times so that they could get everything done early, but that was the worst. We tested solo, though, so we couldn't really sabotage each other. Come to think of it, that might be the reason why they recently started doing things that way, because it requires more instructors and a lot more time.

We test individually on PT assessment/medical/trauma and then at the end of the class we go into teams and have to test medical/trauma in teams on scenarios. My trauma was a tree branch to the head with battles sign, blood from the ear and an unresponsive PT. I was team lead. The other two in my team had just failed the final and they were both beyond upset. So when I started calling for them to do their jobs they did them as slowly and poorly as possible. Then I get chewed out afterwards for having an "attitude" by my psycho instructor. :rolleyes: Well lets see, I called for oxygen the second my size up was finished and it didn't go on til 2 minutes later. Yeah, I'm going to be kind of ticked off. :rolleyes: Eh, I'm just super glad its over.
And hopefully my friend doesn't get the only spot at that company? :lol: I'll probably mope and cry about it for a few days, its the only private based 911 in the area.

I wouldn't waste a minute's sleep watching "House". That guy is an egotistical moron. Now "Bones", well....gives thought to jumping something. That woman is HOT!!!!

I happen to enjoy Houses attitude, but Bones is a whole different story.. I could stare at Agent Booth for hours.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
This day just keeps getting worse. One of my favorite bands broke up. Now I'm definately going to find that corner to sulk in.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
We test individually on PT assessment/medical/trauma and then at the end of the class we go into teams and have to test medical/trauma in teams on scenarios.

We did all not only alone, but in closed and separate rooms, with instructors we'd never seen before. It took forever, but there was no possibility of interference with the actual testing from anyone who knew us. In retrospect, there was probably some kind of history that convinced them to do it that way.

And I dislike House because I know way too many jerky premeds who honestly think he's a great role model. I'd be entertained otherwise.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't had a fire OR a medical call in over a week. Am I the only one that when the tones have not dropped in the longest time begins to expect them only at the most inopportune times?

"Lets see I'm watching TV so the tones will not drop right now. But I really need to take a shower, the moment I step in someone will probably code. Is it worth the risk?"

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
Of COURSE it will happen at the most inopportune time. Whether you're in the shower, feeling frisky with momma, or sitting down to Christmas dinner, the tones are bound to drop. I've been caught during all of the above, along with at least one birthday party for each of our kids, and spending one entire Easter Sunday and Monday fighting one field fire after another.

It's an accepted fact of life for a volunteer; just go with the flow, and take your shower.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Of COURSE it will happen at the most inopportune time. Whether you're in the shower, feeling frisky with momma, or sitting down to Christmas dinner, the tones are bound to drop. I've been caught during all of the above, along with at least one birthday party for each of our kids, and spending one entire Easter Sunday and Monday fighting one field fire after another.

It's an accepted fact of life for a volunteer; just go with the flow, and take your shower.

I'm just saying I never think about them coming at inopportune times unless I haven't had one in a long time.