the 100% directionless thread

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
The longer it goes, the more you tend to dwell on it, until that moment you have another thought, then BAM! the tones drop.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Of COURSE it will happen at the most inopportune time. Whether you're in the shower, feeling frisky with momma, or sitting down to Christmas dinner, the tones are bound to drop. I've been caught during all of the above, along with at least one birthday party for each of our kids, and spending one entire Easter Sunday and Monday fighting one field fire after another.

It's an accepted fact of life for a volunteer; just go with the flow, and take your shower.

Last year my fire district ran only approx. 150 calls. We had not had a single call for 17 days in a row. Christmas day: BAM! FIVE CALLS!!!!!!! A structure fire, two vehicle rollovers and two aid calls. (a SOB and a chest pain.) But I mean on Christmas day?

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Last year my fire district ran only approx. 150 calls. We had not had a single call for 17 days in a row. Christmas day: BAM! FIVE CALLS!!!!!!! A structure fire, two vehicle rollovers and two aid calls. (a SOB and a chest pain.) But I mean on Christmas day?

I'm afraid that might be my Thanksgiving :sad:. I don't know, but I refuse to wear decent clothes until this streak ends. Last three times our department went through streaks like this, they were broken by codes and someone got covered in vomit each time.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Christmas, for me, has always been busy in EMS and in SAR... but I could use the SAR Missions. October and November are historically dead months for us, but this is ridiculous; I haven't run a mission since September 30-October 2, and that was a Mutual Aid! I am, once again, SAR bored... Here's hoping for a Wet and Wild Winter, followed by a Sweet Swiftwater Spring.... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member

We average 400 calls per year, 90% being medicals.

Regarding a structure fire, I remember, years ago, when a dumb blonde got up at 4 am, put her turkey on, and went back to sleep. She was awakened by her smoke detector to find her oven on fire, and her turkey looking like a pregnant charcoal briquette.

At the time, I was hand-doing the NFIRS reports; for type of material ignited, I put "fowl". For "form of material ignited", I put "Christmas turkey". Got a call from the State on that one.

Another time, we had a dryer fire when a fellow firefighter's mother put polyester stretch pants in the dryer on the cotton setting. They melted down. On that NFIRS report, for type of material ignited, I put "polyester"; for form of material ignited, I put "hot pants". This time, the CHIEF got the State call, wanting to know who his comedian was. I never got questioned again.

cookiexd40

Forum Crew Member
ive had 3 more cups of coffee than i need :unsure:

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Next time I tattoo something, I'm going to consider the side I sleep on. :lol: It was not fun last night trying to sleep on the other side.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
bunkie said:
Next time I tattoo something, I'm going to consider the side I sleep on. It was not fun last night trying to sleep on the other side.

Ooh, what did you get?

The longer it goes, the more you tend to dwell on it, until that moment you have another thought, then BAM! the tones drop.

Exactly. A few months ago, I'd been averaging one call a night for weeks, so I figured it was safe to bring some work to the station. Should've known better... I was under a pretty bad deadline. Whaddya know, we wound up tying our record for most calls in a single night.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly. A few months ago, I'd been averaging one call a night for weeks, so I figured it was safe to bring some work to the station. Should've known better... I was under a pretty bad deadline. Whaddya know, we wound up tying our record for most calls in a single night.

One call a night, man I wish we had that many

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
found out that i've been selected as an alternate for the medic school i'm trying to get into. what makes me mad is i now that there are people that were accepted that haven't even started emt school yet, even though on the application it states it is mandatory to submit a copy of your emt cert with your application.

guess i shouldn't complain too much, at least i was selected as an alternate instead of being told no right off the bat.

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
Gaaaaaaaaaaaa........:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: gggggggggrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmppffffttttttt..... dang it.....stupid:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: AARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
smileyvault-atomic.gif

I think I am done with my fire district. I had a run in with the chief t'other day......... Or did he have the run in with me? I dunno. Anyhow, I couldn't get ahold of him, had to make a choice on my own, made one he didn't like, and got railed at over the stupid radio for the entire county to hear. I have already had several people make comments on it. Never mind it was a mutual aid call, the other district was out of water, the fire was starting to run, and my on the spot decision to take an engine instead of waiting 10 minutes for a tender driver kept the house from burning to the ground. Then he refused to listen to me back at the station......and this is just the last in a LONG line of problems.......I am seriously considering quitting. I can do nothing right and trying to work on scene, fire or EMS, is like trying to play baseball with your hands tied behind your back. And I HATE being told I have an ego problem, think I am better than everyone else, and act like a child and need to grow up................ask anyone else I work with and they'll tell you different.
bash-smiley.gif

--end of rant--

Went through the same thing with Deputy Chief who thinks he's God's gift to the fire service a few years back. We were working a reported structure fire; I was a Reserve member at the time and, knowing there were tools on the rescue truck that would be needed (Wiggie, meter base covers, and other detection tools, I made the decision to take another FF with me, and we took the truck. I was a driver/operator, mind you, but got my @ss ripped when we got back to the station. I was told to NEVER drive a truck again w/o being specifically requested to do so.

The Chief and I had a little chat about attitudes and my rationale for what I did. I felt it was more important to get that truck on scene than to wait around to see if an active member who was a driver/operator showed up.

I've been through the radio @ss-chewing, too, and can dish it back just as easily as receiving it. That little button works both ways, but be prepared to pay the consequences if you use it.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
You would not believe how strict Truth in Labeling Laws are getting around here... Look what they are making the Local Firefighters wear... ^_^

299_Ebay_035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Ooh, what did you get?

It's a big black butterfly with the green ribbon wrapped around it and a ton of shadowing. Goes from the top of my ribs to the middle of my hip and wraps just slightly around my front and back. But I did it on my left side so it wouldn't get hacked up when they cut me and thats the freaking side I sleep on. Gah! :lol: I can pm you pics if you'd like.

You would not believe how strict Truth in Labeling Laws are getting around here... Look what they are making the Local Firefighters wear... ^_^

299_Ebay_035.jpg

I want that shirt.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
One call a night, man I wish we had that many

One call a night is just annoying. It always comes right as you're deeply asleep, or right before you're due to get off. I'd much rather have nothing or tons of calls.

bunkie said:
It's a big black butterfly with the green ribbon wrapped around it and a ton of shadowing. Goes from the top of my ribs to the middle of my hip and wraps just slightly around my front and back. But I did it on my left side so it wouldn't get hacked up when they cut me and thats the freaking side I sleep on. Gah! I can pm you pics if you'd like.

Sure--I'm always interested in tattoos, particularly ones that mean something.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Winter has arrived

Winter has officially arrived! I start working at the ski area today. :D

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Winter has officially arrived! I start working at the ski area today. :D

Don't remind me... Winter made a short appearence here last week, but not enough to open the local Ski Resorts or our Snow Park... But soon... Here comes another winter of stupid tourists that are soooo fascinated with "all the white dirt on the ground, esse" and will do everything in their power to get a helicopter ride and put themselves in traction for the next 3 months... YeHa... <_<

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Last year I nearly broke my nose skiing. I had finally taken the jump and went up to a black diamond. Unfortunately, it was slushy and icy that day. About two thirds of the way down the hill, the snow just goes to crap and I lose control of my speed.

Now at the bottom of the hill it flattens out, a very very short run then a sharp turn to the right. I can't get the corner made at the bottom because of crappy snow. I make a quick decision to take a fall to avoid running into a fence. I roll a few times and wind up sliding on my face. My goggles get shoved down over my nose, I would put money that if my goggles had not moved my nose would have been broken. Instead of a broken nose I was left with a half inch gash under my eye where my goggles had pushed into my face.

I will not ski before New Years, just a crazy rule of mine (I enjoy my holidays unhurt). Yet even with a light scar under my eye, I still look forward to next ski season.