the 100% directionless thread

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
As long as medic school counts as college :rofl:

My friend told me she was thinking of going to medic school I'm in now as a stepping stone to nursing school. :rolleyes: great decision, not.

Eh, I'll count it.

So you need to be a paramedic to get into nursing school now?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The old director of the uni nursing school designs our curriculum, it sucks. She teaches our A&P and she's awesome but the things they ask of us suck. Paramedic's education needs to increase, I have no doubt about it. I hate the fact that I have to drink out of a firehose when I'm at school, but paramedic school isn't a stepping stone to nursing and it irks me to no end when people think that it is.

When she said it I went up to my room and grabbed my books, came down then dropped them on the table. She changed her mind real quick.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Im chicago bound!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The more I'm around it, the more I'm convinced outpatient hemodialysis shouldn't be a destination therapy.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
The more I'm around it, the more I'm convinced outpatient hemodialysis shouldn't be a destination therapy.

Please explain? Are you saying we pull the plug on these patients, give them all transplants, or that outpatient hemodialysis should just be a stopgap measure until they can be moved to home dialysis systems?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Please explain? Are you saying we pull the plug on these patients, give them all transplants, or that outpatient hemodialysis should just be a stopgap measure until they can be moved to home dialysis systems?

Bridge to transplant or home hemo/peritoneal dialysis. I'm cold hearted but not that bad lol.

I also support making the patients take some responsibility in their care. I have limited sympathy for the guy I see that buys two Dr Peppers and a bag of Cheetos on his way in to dialyze when his reimbursement is threatened due to poor results.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Back to work tomorrow after a 4 day hiatus, sounds like we've been pretty busy lately so we'll see how it goes.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I also support making the patients take some responsibility in their care. I have limited sympathy for the guy I see that buys two Dr Peppers and a bag of Cheetos on his way in to dialyze when his reimbursement is threatened due to poor results.

Darwinism.

So hate me but here it goes: Why should I pay to keep you alive when your not going to make any lifestyle changes and continue to treat your body like crap. Take some responsibility, our tax dollars are not your babysitter.

Sorry ITLS scenarios all day made me grumpy. Blah blah blah, load and go, rapid trauma, package, secondary assessment, call in, blah blah blah. :glare:

/rant

If anyone knows where I could take PHTLS in NV or NorCal let me know! Also let me know if I'm just wasting my time by doubling up trauma life support classes, ITLS is garbage IMO. Good for muscle memory, thats about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Absolute utter and complete waste of time doubling up. Spend the money on going to a trauma symposium instead.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Absolute utter and complete waste of time doubling up. Spend the money on going to a trauma symposium instead.

That was my next option. I'm focusing on school now but I definitely would like to attend something like this once I'm finished. I thought about auditing an ATLS course that the local Trauma Center is offering in the spring. I know I can't get the card, it would be more for me and I think I can get my agency to pay for it.

Thoughts?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If they'll pay for it, go. If not, rather than spend money on a class that might not let you participate in labs, look for a TNATC course.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

I worked in a outpatient dialysis clinic for 6 months. It was a hell of a job, great education, but a hell of a job.

I can support it being destination therapy for some, those that are not good candidates for other options and are still healthy enough to function. We had several people who were still very active, but would never be able to get a transplant or manage home dialysis. But so many of the patients had no life to speak of. They spent 1/2 their day at dialysis, and then the whole next day recovering, only to go back and do it again.

Bridge to transplant or home hemo/peritoneal dialysis. I'm cold hearted but not that bad lol.

If these people could follow directions the vast majority of them wouldn't be on dialysis in the first place.

I am sympathetic to a point, the diet these people have to follow sucks. We were more than willing to make deals with people, as long as their treatment results didn't suffer. Like taking off extra fluid so someone could have their favorite drink.

Now, that being said I'm frankly more frustrated with diabetics than I am alcoholics at this point. I think as a whole they are going to end up being the most expensive group to care for. Talk about a group of people who cause their own problems.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Why is it that the last three shifts when I come in, the previous crew always seems to leave the main O2 low?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My partner made bacon and cinnamon rolls for breakfast this morning.

Seriously.

I think I love her.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Lucky :/

It's not even 10:00 yet and I already have to do a 10 page report on why Morphine is better than Fentanyl, a paper on a physics principle and a paper on KKK standards...all for medical director, FML.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Why is he having you write on a false premise (morphine vs fentanyl)? One's not "better" than the other, they both have a distinct place.

The one reason morphine>fentanyl right now? You can get morphine from suppliers...

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Why is he having you write on a false premise (morphine vs fentanyl)? One's not "better" than the other, they both have a distinct place.

The one reason morphine>fentanyl right now? You can get morphine from suppliers...

That's kind of what I was thinking, I know that a lot of other medics here have been pushing to get fentanyl here, so me being the only medic in my FTO I get this little task. It's a pretty arbitrary discussion, like you said, they both have their distinct place, and both being very comparable drugs, it's difficult to distinctly say that one is better than the other.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

My management is talking about switching back just for that reason. These medication shortages have gotten really old, really fast. I'm sick of having Narcan in .4mg/1ml vials! I've got like 10 freaking little vials crammed into my med box right now.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Talking with my sup last night my partner and I learned how much differently we operation in our division compaired to the other divisions in the area.

Just learned that one of my friends is in a hospital out in Pen. on a vent with ADEM and possibly Meningitis.