the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It's working for the state. Wildland schedule doesnt work for busy municipal areas.

The bear distributes it’s wealth in forced overtime and staffing patterns.

CALEMT

I cant believe no one has gotten killed(at least that we know) due to guys being on for 21 days at a busy house.

Well CalOSHA is getting involved now so hopefully something changes. Luckily my battalion isn’t bad but a month ago I was getting forced in adjacent battalions on my 96 off. Showed up for thanksgiving went home on AAV December 15th.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
It's working for the state. Wildland schedule doesnt work for busy municipal areas.
My point stands... California is a bad place to work. They literally try to kill you with the work schedule.

CALEMT

My point stands... California is a bad place to work. They literally try to kill you with the work schedule.

When it works it honestly isn't all too terrible... when it works.

I would prefer a 48/96 but since its the state we'll probably get it when I'm about to retire... in 26 years...

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This time of year is fun, havent flown a patient since January 3rd. Expecting 7 inches of snow Monday when I go back to work. Looks like another day of knocking out yearly education requirements.

CALEMT

If you're off duty and respond to an MCI and you're first on scene, are you still IC?

Why the hell would you choose to respond to something on your days off? Are you on call? Are you getting paid to be on call? Or are you just an über whacker Ricky rescue extraordinaire that wants to be on the front page of the paper?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Why the hell would you choose to respond to something on your days off? Are you on call? Are you getting paid to be on call? Or are you just an über whacker Ricky rescue extraordinaire that wants to be on the front page of the paper?

Well there was a medic in that 100+ car pileup and he started helping, I think he self extricated.

CALEMT

Well there was a medic in that 100+ car pileup and he started helping, I think he self extricated.

A company officer would be better to answer this question vs a firefighter but to me, no. An IC see’s the overall incident as a whole. Someone whose in the middle of a 100+ car accident has no idea how many vehicles, how many patients, resources needed, policies, procedures, SOP’s/SOG’s that need to be implemented.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If I happened upon an accident and decided to help out prior to the arrival of actual on duty responders, I may be quote un-quote "IC", in that I may be telling someone else not to do something they shouldn't... but am I really in command of anything beyond myself? Nope.

And if you reeeaaalllyyyy wanna call me "IC", that is being passed off the moment someone in uniform and a radio and actual assignment to the incident shows up on scene, whether that's a Fire Company, Ambulance, or Police...

But unless I'm either involved, or witnessed a particularly bad accident happen in front of me, or I can see some clear life safety issue while driving by that leads me to think "this person might die if I don't pull over", I'm not gonna actually stop at some random accident while off duty.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
If I happened upon an accident and decided to help out prior to the arrival of actual on duty responders, I may be quote un-quote "IC", in that I may be telling someone else not to do something they shouldn't... but am I really in command of anything beyond myself? Nope.

And if you reeeaaalllyyyy wanna call me "IC", that is being passed off the moment someone in uniform and a radio and actual assignment to the incident shows up on scene, whether that's a Fire Company, Ambulance, or Police...

But unless I'm either involved, or witnessed a particularly bad accident happen in front of me, or I can see some clear life safety issue while driving by that leads me to think "this person might die if I don't pull over", I'm not gonna actually stop at some random accident while off duty.

Oh I agree. We were on the motorcycle and saw a fresh accident in an intersection, 3 involved. Cars were pretty mangled. I point it out to David and he was going to shrug it off cause he thought it nothing. He only saw one car with the light/moderate damage, not the one with all the airbags. I made a deal out of it and got off the bike because we were in the far left lane next to the large Grass median at a long red light. We go over to the small group and one guy has a head lac, cuts and scrapes and is a bit dinged up, and a destroyed phone in his hand and he's asking about calling his mom over and over. He's like 30 YO. Not to say he can't check in with his mom, he just seemed kinda out of it. Did an initial assessment, vitals I could get, RTS, had him sit down before he fell down because he was not looking stable. Ask about any major health issues or allergies in case he passed out. David went checking on everyone else. About that time, EMS, LE show up. Do a basic handoff and leave.

I'm not acting like I'm IC of anything, just did what I could for the one guy, which wasn't much. I just didn't want him to be left alone in case he went unresponsive.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh I agree. We were on the motorcycle and saw a fresh accident in an intersection, 3 involved. Cars were pretty mangled. I point it out to David and he was going to shrug it off cause he thought it nothing. He only saw one car with the light/moderate damage, not the one with all the airbags. I made a deal out of it and got off the bike because we were in the far left lane next to the large Grass median at a long red light. We go over to the small group and one guy has a head lac, cuts and scrapes and is a bit dinged up, and a destroyed phone in his hand and he's asking about calling his mom over and over. He's like 30 YO. Not to say he can't check in with his mom, he just seemed kinda out of it. Did an initial assessment, vitals I could get, RTS, had him sit down before he fell down because he was not looking stable. Ask about any major health issues or allergies in case he passed out. David went checking on everyone else. About that time, EMS, LE show up. Do a basic handoff and leave.

I'm not acting like I'm IC of anything, just did what I could for the one guy, which wasn't much. I just didn't want him to be left alone in case he went unresponsive.
What did you plan to do for the guy if he went unresponsive?

I won't pretend to know you, but I suspect you would benefit greatly from learning how to turn the job off.