the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
What did you plan to do for the guy if he went unresponsive?

I won't pretend to know you, but I suspect you would benefit greatly from learning how to turn the job off.

Honestly, not much. But being able to give proper timing and documentation to the crew I think is valuable. Maybe they throw out my info anyway, but I am a BLS ambulance driver, so I'm pretty cool 😎👉👉. We take lots of grandmas and they call us heroes. They need to recognize that.

Jkjk. But for real, trapezius pinch, check for trauma on chest and maybe a sternum rub. Check vitals (HR, breathing, pupils) to see if he's got anything going on. We were in a pretty populated area within a few minutes of major hospitals, so I mean, I guess I'm not changing much.

I guess to me it's more about providing background on the pt on how their impression changed.

Edit: Also, if he went into arrest (I think unlikely, but I've never seen anyone code), then I would be able to give immediate compressions. Which is very important to good outcomes.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Edit: Also, if he went into arrest (I think unlikely, but I've never seen anyone code), then I would be able to give immediate compressions. Which is very important to good outcomes.

My last traumatic arrest coded right in front of me. Give you one guess how it turned out. Blood belongs in the body not outside.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My last traumatic arrest coded right in front of me. Give you one guess how it turned out. Blood belongs in the body not outside.

I know rates of ROSC in traumatic arrests are less than 1% IIRC, but I dunno how you don't give it your best if someone needs your help and you're literally looking at it.

I dunno. I don't know how to flip the switch off. I've always been a helper and a fixer. Having become an EMT only taught me how to do it better, I think.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I did not mean you didn't. I'm sure you did. I'm saying me looking at a decent crash that I'm passing by and we can literally just get off the bike and walk over.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I dunno. I don't know how to flip the switch off. I've always been a helper and a fixer. Having become an EMT only taught me how to do it better, I think.

Im not speaking from personal experience but from what I’ve seen in my friends and work colleagues. You have to flip the switch off when you go home. You’ll get burnt out so fast. I’ve seen it destroy families, relationships, careers, and unfortunately even some lives.

Just some friendly advice. Always give your best at work, but remember at the end of the day you’re just a number. No sense in giving your life to a place that’ll replace you within 24 hours.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Im not speaking from personal experience but from what I’ve seen in my friends and work colleagues. You have to flip the switch off when you go home. You’ll get burnt out so fast. I’ve seen it destroy families, relationships, careers, and unfortunately even some lives.

Just some friendly advice. Always give your best at work, but remember at the end of the day you’re just a number. No sense in giving your life to a place that’ll replace you within 24 hours.

Wdym don't get codependent on a job and make it my whole personality?!!!

In all seriousness, I've been getting better at that. Not just jumping great lengths for an employer because they want me to when over got my own life.

I've missed out on a little bit of stuff I can't get back because I worked a shift I didn't "need" to.

I know being an EMT isn't a personality. I guess it's kinda hard to sort stuff out when you've just started.

roll him on his side? open/clear his airway?

Yes, that too. ABCs. Tbh the only unresponsive person I've had (aside from DOA or DNR) was after we got her into the ambulance and the medics took over.

That muscle memory isn't there yet. Not an excuse because everyone should know BLS skills and protocols, I guess it's harder to think about in a past event and trying to recall details and then stuff that didn't even happen. Gave a quick response and didn't go through the steps fully.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I used to stop at nearly every fender bender or any small thing, even before EMS.

Now, I just do a window size up and see if anyone looks slumped over a wheel or otherwise needing immediate help and if nothing pops, go on my way.

I still help to change a few tires, but not because I think it's a lifesaving difference, just cause it's nice if they need help.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I was mostly being facetious, but yes, the answer is interventions that he would probably still survive without.
survive an obstructed airway? for how long? aspiration? hopefully...I guess...quality of life enter into the conversation here, assuming survival despite no bls maneuvers? really?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Wdym don't get codependent on a job and make it my whole personality?!!!

In all seriousness, I've been getting better at that. Not just jumping great lengths for an employer because they want me to when over got my own life.

I've missed out on a little bit of stuff I can't get back because I worked a shift I didn't "need" to.

I know being an EMT isn't a personality. I guess it's kinda hard to sort stuff out when you've just started.

Yes, that too. ABCs. Tbh the only unresponsive person I've had (aside from DOA or DNR) was after we got her into the ambulance and the medics took over.

That muscle memory isn't there yet. Not an excuse because everyone should know BLS skills and protocols, I guess it's harder to think about in a past event and trying to recall details and then stuff that didn't even happen. Gave a quick response and didn't go through the steps fully.
I have no idea why someone on this board has to defend stopping at an accident and possibly consider giving bls care....at least it's in the directionless thread....

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
survive an obstructed airway? for how long? aspiration? hopefully...I guess...quality of life enter into the conversation here, assuming survival despite no bls maneuvers? really?
I guess this is a failure on my part because words do matter for context.

IF he goes unresponsive and can maintain a patent airway, nothing an off duty (insert certification here) can provide is relevant.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I have no idea why someone on this board has to defend stopping at an accident and possibly consider giving bls care....at least it's in the directionless thread....

I mean. I guess that's why I feel like I do what's right and take people's thoughts with salt.

I'm gonna do what I'm trained to if needed. I've just been able to better understand when I'm needed.

If it's one dude who bonked into a tree and is talking to a cop, I'm not going to force a C collar on him and demand he lay down so I can save his C spine.

But, even without a ton of 911 experience and trauma experience, I'm still going to help as a bystander/off duty provider.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I guess this is a failure on my part because words do matter for context.

IF he goes unresponsive and can maintain a patent airway, nothing an off duty (insert certification here) can provide is relevant.

Yeah, I don't keep a whole BLS bag in my car. Minor stuff (bandages, TQ, etc) but I'm not gonna have NPAs, OPAs, anything that really should be under protocol that the normal person isn't going to do.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I don't understand this TIMS phrase. Move it or work it. Move it involves of course getting vehicles out of the way, but work it involves all of what? It's not just for EMS, so it's not just pt care