the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I once smacked a coyote with my truck at 60mph. Sent his *** flying into the bush... he dead.
Huh, must not have been of the carnivorous slobbius variety...
9568E159-BC7E-45D2-95F0-E610762E48F1.gif

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Really good doc on HBO called “Ernie & Joe”.

It’s about mental health and the first responders—in this case, in San Antonio—who deal with it, and what they’re doing to change not only their community, but the stigma itself; kinda neat to see.

Worth a gander for anyone interested.

My sister got HBO a couple days ago so I was finally able to watch this. It was a good recommendation.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
WAIT WAIT .

WHY DO WE DO CPR IF WE CAN JUST PACE THEM?

There's probably a really good answer. But. Yeah..

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
My second to last one bled from the hub. Absolutely massive hemothorax. That thoracotomy dumped an insane amount of blood.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Like how much estimated? What was the MOI?
Probably at least a suction container. GSW from L scapula area and exited at the manubrium. Hit large vessel and there was no stopping that bleed. I believe the brachiocephalic was one that was hit. Not sure what else.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Probably at least a suction container. GSW from L scapula area and exited at the manubrium. Hit large vessel and there was no stopping that bleed. I believe the brachiocephalic was one that was hit. Not sure what else.

Mmm grenadine

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Some of the worst iatrogenic blood loss I've ever seen came from a 10ga. Stab wound to the chest, I decompressed him as their were no lung sounds and he was unconscious. It was like someone turned on the kitchen tap. I ended up putting a three way stopcock on the end to stop the flow as it was becoming a slip hazard and the helicopter crew would not take him without something to stem the tide. Would have been nice if they could have just placed a chest tube, which they are able to do...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Blah. Polytrauma is currently the bane of my existence. I’m happy to push it off on the trainee when they start. I’m over the paperwork. I’m just saying.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Some of the worst iatrogenic blood loss I've ever seen came from a 10ga. Stab wound to the chest, I decompressed him as their were no lung sounds and he was unconscious. It was like someone turned on the kitchen tap. I ended up putting a three way stopcock on the end to stop the flow as it was becoming a slip hazard and the helicopter crew would not take him without something to stem the tide. Would have been nice if they could have just placed a chest tube, which they are able to do...

*iatrogenic*

NEW WORD ADDED TO INVENTORY.

But um. What if you just exsanguinate him all the faster.

Did you give him fluids (Ringers because apparently NS kills trauma pts?) PRBC?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Wait. Why can't you just reroute the blood to skip over the injured vessels, like run some lines. Bypass affected tissue

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wait. Why can't you just reroute the blood to skip over the injured vessels, like run some lines. Bypass affected tissue
In the OR this is possible however it’s the whole part of getting a patient to the OR that is the issue. That is something that is not done in the field. In the ED they may do a procedure called REBOA or they can cross clamp the aorta which will however it is not something that is done in the field as of yet.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
*iatrogenic*

NEW WORD ADDED TO INVENTORY.

But um. What if you just exsanguinate him all the faster.

Did you give him fluids (Ringers because apparently NS kills trauma pts?) PRBC?
Both LR and NS will kill trauma patients. The best replacement is whole blood which is not carried by many services. PRBC would be the next best but once again it is still not common to be found in EMS.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Both LR and NS will kill trauma patients. The best replacement is whole blood which is not carried by many services. PRBC would be the next best but once again it is still not common to be found in EMS.
Sure, but let’s be honest. I watched a patient die regardless of massive transfusion protocols and a full “hand-on-deck” approach. Unfortunately, sometimes when it’s your time, it is your time.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
In the OR this is possible however it’s the whole part of getting a patient to the OR that is the issue. That is something that is not done in the field. In the ED they may do a procedure called REBOA or they can cross clamp the aorta which will however it is not something that is done in the field as of yet.

Hmm okay. I anticipate this to be field ready sometime during my career and I'll tell everyone I had this idea once.

Why does it kill them though. Why is pasta water and sugar water evil.