the 100% directionless thread

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Side note, have any of y'all ever actually seen tracheal deviation not on a scan? I've seen plenty on a CXR, but that's further down. Even the extreme ones on CXR seem to be fairly midline by the time you get to the neck.
Yes, a couple times. The deviation at the neck can be very slight. You may have to (literally) put a string between nose and the middle of the sternum to detect a 1-2 mm deviation. To see that, everything needs to be midline and your string is used to divide left/right literally at the midline. Good luck seeing that...

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Crossing state lines to pick up a patient from another facility? That starts to get into some sketchy legality issues.

Depends on the states. We do interstate IFTs all the time.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
"Just some good ole boys,
Never meaning no harm..."
10A8033E-8263-41DA-BD0C-07D1B0BA1BAF.gif

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Just got the statement for my hospital bill. $4,480.92 after insurance.

Y'all, it's cheaper to go to school full time for eight weeks than it is to go to the hospital for two and a half days.

Last edited:

Seirende

The behavioral health unit is basically boarding school. You attend classes, hang out with your peers, and eat institutional food.

Seirende

The Zyprexa is just an added bonus?

I take meds at home, I take meds at the hospital, what the difference? We didn't change anything.

I'd be interested to find out what the charge was for the acetaminophen I asked for for a headache.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I take meds at home, I take meds at the hospital, what the difference? We didn't change anything.

Fair enough. I have a good friend that has some pretty severe mental health issues,. She usually controls her symptoms well with meds, but occasionally she gets to the point where managing at home alone is no longer possible and it's time for a stay at, as she calls it, "Camp Haldol". From what I've heard, it's an unbelievably degrading and dehumanizing process. From start to finish, we need to do a better job of helping patients with mental health issues. I hate dropping patients at the BHU at my local ED. It's like they're going to solitary for a crime that they didn't commit.

Seirende

...it's time for a stay at, as she calls it, "Camp Haldol".... I hate dropping patients at the BHU at my local ED. It's like they're going to solitary for a crime that they didn't commit.

I definitely thought it was something like a cross between summer camp and prison my first time there. I speak from experience on only one of those two.

Honestly my experiences have been good. I always go to the same hospital because I know what to expect and the worst thing that's happened is having to deal with a very condescending and poor-at-communication doctor who is no longer there. Being strip searched was interesting, but they were nice about it.

Seirende

I think the most degrading thing that I've been concerned about is the possibility of physical restraint.

Seirende

Fair enough. I have a good friend that has some pretty severe mental health issues,. She usually controls her symptoms well with meds, but occasionally she gets to the point where managing at home alone is no longer possible and it's time for a stay at, as she calls it, "Camp Haldol". From what I've heard, it's an unbelievably degrading and dehumanizing process. From start to finish, we need to do a better job of helping patients with mental health issues. I hate dropping patients at the BHU at my local ED. It's like they're going to solitary for a crime that they didn't commit.

Honestly this is a pretty heartening post for me

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think the most degrading thing that I've been concerned about is the possibility of physical restraint.

My friend has the tendency to get loud and aggressive and she frequently ends up in 4 points and/or sedated.

It's a mess

Seirende

My friend has the tendency to get loud and aggressive and she frequently ends up in 4 points and/or sedated.

It's a mess

They talked about potential use of physical restraints and I was like, "We'll be perfectly cool until the point where you put aggressive hands on me." Idk if it's the trauma hx or what but I don't know if I would find it possible to accept that sort of thing without a fight.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well my appraisal came back, I've been in the house less than a year (it'll be a year in June) and its already gone up 11k in less than a year.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

It's a mess
Used to work as a security officer in a hospital with a behavioral health unit. Staff would call us anytime they were going to restrain or sedate a patient. Most of the time our mere presence was enough to convince the patient to comply (my preferred option because it meant less paperwork)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
From start to finish, we need to do a better job of helping patients with mental health issues.
This is very true. In some ways, we used to. Now many mental health patients get dumped on the ED for "medical clearance" and then the ED ends up boarding these patients until an appropriate bed opens up. The ED is a HORRIBLE place for mental health patients.
They talked about potential use of physical restraints and I was like, "We'll be perfectly cool until the point where you put aggressive hands on me."
Staff would call us anytime they were going to restrain or sedate a patient. Most of the time our mere presence was enough to convince the patient to comply
People that get very loud and aggressive do often end up being sedated and/or restrained. Most patients of mine do OK as I make it clear that it is THEIR behavior that drives how they are treated. If you're being restrained and your my patient, it is because you are a current and continuing danger to yourself or to others because of the things you are doing. If you're just being loud, I don't really care about that until you start escalating beyond that.