the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't say that stylets or VL are "crutches". In fact I would say that for unplanned airway management where a good pre-anesthetic assessment was not performed, those devices should probably be used routinely. At least by anyone who doesn't intubate very frequently.

However, I would agree that not using those things in the OR is probably a good idea. As a paramedic, how often do you get to intubate a stable, NPO, well-preoxygenated patient in a controlled environment with expert backup just a few feet away? That's the time to practice single-handed and two-handed mask ventilation, and challenge yourself a little by intentionally taking away things that make intubating easier or more efficient. I'm not talking about emergent or sick patients who you need to be sure to get intubated immediately, of course.

The thing about not using a stylet is that you have to rely more on properly aligning the laryngeal, pharyngeal, and oral axes since it's more difficult to manipulate the tube. It's good practice.
I can appreciate the intent behind it, but on my first (or one of?) intubation ever? Still don't think that is the best time for that. Let me get the standard approaches down a bit first, then start adding layers of complexity.

If I got a chance to go in the OR now I'd be much more comfortable doing it and would love to be to be presented with a challenge. I already rotate methods in the field, but I have a better foundation to work from now compared to absolutely none.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Today's wake up alarm was brought to me courtesy of a neighbor that burned their food so badly that you could smell on multiple floors of the building. Bad enough that the engine was actually going to charge the FDC until they searched the unit. I don't know if I should be mad or impressed.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Today's wake up alarm was brought to me courtesy of a neighbor that burned their food so badly that you could smell on multiple floors of the building. Bad enough that the engine was actually going to charge the FDC until they searched the unit. I don't know if I should be mad or impressed.

Morbid question, does charred people smell different than charred non-human animals?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Morbid question, does charred people smell different than charred non-human animals?

The only time I've smelt burnt human flesh in my memory was in the OR when they were using a cauterizing knife. I probably wouldn't be able to place the scent as human as opposed to animal if I smelt it again

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I thought with IFT you wouldn't really see stuff.

But we took dementia pt to a group home and she was so upset. Bawling and saying "I hope I die this time", and encouraging us to

A) Throw her in the trash
B) Leave her in the gutter

And convinced we'd leave her in the street.

When being helped onto the gurney, she got upset and really pulled her adult granddaughters hair pretty hard. She has a grip like a lobster.

I later have her my hand to hold when we took her inside and holy crap my hand hurt for a bit. Darn near crushed my pinkie off. But it calmed her down a little that someone was holding her hand.

Every time we hit a bump she'd start crying again.
It was just not a fun transport (not that I'm looking to be entertained, it was just shocking to hear how much she wanted to die or be thrown away). Her caretakers were obviously trying very hard and you could tell it was taking a toll on them.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The only time I've smelt burnt human flesh in my memory was in the OR when they were using a cauterizing knife. I probably wouldn't be able to place the scent as human as opposed to animal if I smelt it again
Careful, your inner dad-joke meter is showing. Bout a “5” on the Gallows as well.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes. Google that ****. Common expression.
Perhaps we have not yet established that what is common for some people is not for others, you know, generationally.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yes. Google that ****. Common expression.
Perhaps we have not yet established that what is common for some people is not for others, you know, generationally.
EAE23E47-EE7D-456D-A98C-EF3DA3110E89.gif

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

You mean “Boomers” are more conversant in slang than all the kiddies? Who’d a thought that..?