the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Absolutely this. What do you think it is most neuro ICU’s, and ICU’s in general do with bleeds? It’s definitely not jostle them around carelessly, or overstimulate their already compromised pathophysiology.

They also preach this in the flight and critical care realms. Decrease noise and stimulation, keeping the patient’s environment as quiet as possible etc. Granted this pertains to the “critically-ill” (see: intubated, sedated, and monitored) head bleeds.

These are called neuro-protective strategies. Simply put, @DragonClaw you don’t know what you don’t know, and what’s worse is that you don’t seem to listen to those before you very well. Major party foul.

The sup made the same point

BUT

Emphasized it wasn't his call to make. And if we thought that, then call to try and downgrade. Otherwise roll code when requested

I really don't want to get raked over the coals for not running code when I should after just being put through the wringer for not doing it.

Maybe it's just how it's run here but it's a darned if I do, darned if I don't kind of thing when it comes to opinions it seems.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
@DragonClaw you need to hit hard breaks. You’re a Basic with zero field experience, working with an experienced medic. Instead of being humble, trying to learn and soaking up as much information as you can, you’re not only second guessing him but also taking it to the management. Apart from the obvious “who the F you think you are”, there’s the issue of you not just not listening to what people tell you, but also trying to talk back. Acquire some self reflection, for crying out loud.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's not good, PD and the Medical Examiner at my apt, officers with tape up around the pool area.... 😳😔

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
@DragonClaw you need to hit hard breaks. You’re a Basic with zero field experience, working with an experienced medic. Instead of being humble, trying to learn and soaking up as much information as you can, you’re not only second guessing him but also taking it to the management. Apart from the obvious “who the F you think you are”, there’s the issue of you not just not listening to what people tell you, but also trying to talk back. Acquire some self reflection, for crying out loud.

Okay your boss tells you to not listen to a word the guy said and that he's full of crap. So what? Take his side and make the sup your enemy?

Yeah I could have said nothing but again, I had questions on whether or not we can downgrade at will. And the people who can decide to fire me said no. So I leaned how they wanted it to be done.

I really do not understand why I'm the bad guy and the medic of 5 years (who I didn't bring to the sup like I'm trying to hang out to dry. He wasn't present for the beratment I got for listening to him) is right.

I'm not trying to throw a wrench into the machine, I'm trying to dodge one

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I was thinking the 5-0

Professor plum... in the living room... with the wrench.

In other news 2 fires in a shift makes me happy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had enough to do without any calls to break the monotony of my QI existence. Luckily, I created reports in ESO so that it just emails me when I need to look at a chart tout de suite.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Read what? I adjusted to his personality just fine. I don't care he wasn't wanting a conversation. But even getting him to do his part of the job was difficult.

But him dismissing protocols? That's my concern. Some people don't care about doing things as directed. And honestly, sometimes you can't.

But I'm sure he knew he was supposed to go code 3 /priority 1 but didn't really care

He said if it was actually important they'd just life flight him out or he'd already have been in a trauma room. Which per other people, is not true because he was going to a higher level of care with trauma 1 capabilities.

I'm not saying he was dying immediately agonal gasping or anything, but brain bleeds can be serious.

Within 10 minutes of getting to the hospital he was in a trauma room with a dr (who I've met, he's a combat veteran marine) giving him an assessment saying he needs neuro pronto. He bypassed triage and everyone else who was waiting.

I dunno. Sounds important to me.

aww you sweet little star child.
The patient is in serious condition. But there isn’t really such a thing as “emergency” neurosurgery where emergent/non-emergent transports actually matter. Even in Houston, the time savings are minimal at best. You’re not opposing traffic or shutting down roads on a transfer unit, and your partner is right when he says that it doesn’t matter. Driving emergency traffic doesn’t benefit anyone in this circumstance.

Honestly, the biggest issue is how you’re carrying on with your coworkers. Yes, people are burned out. Don’t let it drag you down, but don’t try and Ray of Sunshine themeither.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
And I just finished that EMT info seminar at the local college... yeah theres a semester worth of pre reqs, one more of Paramedic pre reqs that arent required but highly recommended (bio w/lab or physiology w/lab courses) before the semester long (Mon-Thurs 16 weeks) class...

They MAY be able to do a transition course since I already have NR (and got it in state), which would require coordination, and would involve a 2 week HI state requirements class (above and beyond NR EMT stuff) and 5 weeks of clinical. Doing that would be my best bet to get HI state EMT Cert

Cuz idk if I'd be able to do the regular class with my schedule without significant vacation requests lol (or shift swaps or whatnot)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
And how did you get out of jail so fast...Brah?
Haha, It definitely wasn’t the 5-0 that bailed him out. Magnum for the win...

My “easy shift” consisted of 2 IFT’s. Eh, no paperwork and easy turnarounds. Least it lead into my 4-days off.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Officially it's just EMT, then paramedic (excuse me, MICT, Mobile Intensive Care Technician... though everyone just calls them Paramedics anyway lol). But from what I gather, State EMT scope includes starting IVs and administering certain meds, so its def closer to Intermediate level vs NREMT but I don't think it's quite to that level.

And I rolled doubles to get out, duh.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I dont know. Literally all I know is I saw a PD car and an ME jeep in the parking lot, and saw some cops over by the pool with their yellow caution tape and w sign saying the pool was closed. Beyond that 🤷🏼‍♂️