the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
You are brand new. You really need to concentrate on learning the job before you start correcting others.

I'm not trying to correct anyone. I don't know what it should be. I'm trying to learn and I couldn't get him to say much at all

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The others were right about him. He is an a-hole.
And with an attitude like this, you’ll fit right in with “the others” by the water cooler.

Ask anyone on here where most of those folks end up. There’s something to be said for introspection.

Also, if the dude is that burned- out and salty be glad he knows enough to know he’s had enough and wants to just finish the degree.

Dunno, but I too have days when the overzealous are more easily tolerated than others.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
And with an attitude like this, you’ll fit right in with “the others” by the water cooler.

Ask anyone on here where most of those folks end up. There’s something to be said for introspection.

Also, if the dude is that burned- out and salty be glad he knows enough to know he’s had enough and wants to just finish the degree.

Dunno, but I too have days when the overzealous are more easily tolerated than others.

I went to my first shift with a stranger. I put all that stuff aside. Real chipper. I thought maybe they were wrong. I didn't know him at all, who am I to already dislike him? I was open and trying to have a good, productive shift.

But if he gets mad he has to work more than 2 calls, then what? He was quick to confirm with dispatch we could take our first call due to distance and the way the unit is assigned. But when he got code 3? Naw

I got chewed out by my sup for not saying "This is a lights and sirens call. I'm going lights and sirens. If you disagree, I'm more than happy to call the sup"

He made me say it's verbatim so I know how put operation is supposed to take these. As a sup, they can then make the call if a subdural/subarachnoid hematoma is worth it. But it's not our call to make.

He said he didn't give two @#%#@ what the medic said or thought about that. That's how it's supposed to be run.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
3447A815-1908-4385-988E-93212B8102F8.gif

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I went to my first shift with a stranger. I put all that stuff aside. Real chipper. I thought maybe they were wrong. I didn't know him at all, who am I to already dislike him? I was open and trying to have a good, productive shift.

But if he gets mad he has to work more than 2 calls, then what? He was quick to confirm with dispatch we could take our first call due to distance and the way the unit is assigned. But when he got code 3? Naw

I got chewed out by my sup for not saying "This is a lights and sirens call. I'm going lights and sirens. If you disagree, I'm more than happy to call the sup"

He made me say it's verbatim so I know how put operation is supposed to take these. As a sup, they can then make the call if a subdural/subarachnoid hematoma is worth it. But it's not our call to make.

He said he didn't give two @#%#@ what the medic said or thought about that. That's how it's supposed to be run.

You’re destined to become very popular with your peers.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
If you cannot learn how to read people and adjust yourself accordingly, you’ll keep being miserable. No matter where you go or work at.

Read what? I adjusted to his personality just fine. I don't care he wasn't wanting a conversation. But even getting him to do his part of the job was difficult.

But him dismissing protocols? That's my concern. Some people don't care about doing things as directed. And honestly, sometimes you can't.

But I'm sure he knew he was supposed to go code 3 /priority 1 but didn't really care

He said if it was actually important they'd just life flight him out or he'd already have been in a trauma room. Which per other people, is not true because he was going to a higher level of care with trauma 1 capabilities.

I'm not saying he was dying immediately agonal gasping or anything, but brain bleeds can be serious.

Within 10 minutes of getting to the hospital he was in a trauma room with a dr (who I've met, he's a combat veteran marine) giving him an assessment saying he needs neuro pronto. He bypassed triage and everyone else who was waiting.

I dunno. Sounds important to me.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Anyhwaaaysss...

I’ll openly admit that cardiology is neither my favorite, nor strongest subject. That said, Eric Bauer’s master cardiology modules were both engaging and painless.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Pretty excited for Daylight Saving Time to start on Sunday

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Screw DST and screw Indiana. 92 counties in this state why arent all 92 counties on the same time zone? Added to that, they need to be on the correct time zone, which is central.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Screw DST and screw Indiana. 92 counties in this state why arent all 92 counties on the same time zone? Added to that, they need to be on the correct time zone, which is central.

El Paso is in Mountain time. We're central in the rest of the state, though.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
What is this DST you speak of? We don't do any of that silly clock changing nonsense here lol

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
You'll learn in time that lights and sirens isn't always the time saver some people think it is. After around 2300 or so, I don't even drive with lights/sirens if the calls are within a mile or so, just lights and a few siren taps at intersections that aren't 4 way stops or round abouts. And just because he has a brain bleed doesn't mean he needs to be transported like that. We have a small community hospital that's 1.5 miles from a level 1. If I have a bleed that's talking to me and doing alright, I'm not gonna run lights and sirens through the 2 stop lights between them. I've also been t boned while driving like this, so I'm a little less excited about it now than years ago.

As far as dismissing protocols, you aren't going to find many people here who like the rigid protocol way of doing things. Not saying he was right, I don't know what the patient looked like, but I dismiss or alter protocols all the time. Not following protocol to the letter isn't a big deal if you're not in a mother may I system that encourages you to adapt to your situations.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
And just because he has a brain bleed doesn't mean he needs to be transported like that. We have a small community hospital that's 1.5 miles from a level 1. If I have a bleed that's talking to me and doing alright, I'm not gonna run lights and sirens through the 2 stop lights between them.
Absolutely this. What do you think it is most neuro ICU’s, and ICU’s in general do with bleeds? It’s definitely not jostle them around carelessly, or overstimulate their already compromised pathophysiology.

They also preach this in the flight and critical care realms. Decrease noise and stimulation, keeping the patient’s environment as quiet as possible etc. Granted this pertains to the “critically-ill” (see: intubated, sedated, and monitored) head bleeds.

These are called neuro-protective strategies. Simply put, @DragonClaw you don’t know what you don’t know, and what’s worse is that you don’t seem to listen to those before you very well. Major party foul.