the 100% directionless thread

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
How wacky would it be for EMS to administer POC influenza screening?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

RESCUERANDYEMS

Forum Crew Member
SHIIIINNNYYYYYYY!!!!
ARHERO-ASetUpGuideForNewTurtleParents-20160818

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
How wacky would it be for EMS to administer POC influenza screening?
ETA:
Not as wacky as being required to transport for flu...
Considering that people that have influenza can very easily match SIRS criteria... and suddenly that patient you were just going to say "you have the flu, stay home and rest, drink plenty of fluids..." now ends up in a transport and possibly gets admitted and along the way may have a definitive influenza test done (test run by hospital's lab if they accept your sample). "Rapid" tests usually aren't definitive and have false positive and false negative rates that may require a more definitive test that's much more accurate but these take time and if the process of doing a "rapid" test destroys the sample, then another must be obtained...

So what I'm actually saying is that it's probably best to not worry about doing POC influenza tests in the field and just look at the overall clinical picture... because some of these patients may be a lot sicker than they look at first glance.

You don't want to be on that crew that suggested staying home because of a positive POC test, overlooking the other signs and later have a bad outcome.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So...any tv show suggestions? I'm kind of feeling in the mood for a more light-hearted comedy...just binge-watched the first season of The Good Place (I guess it's a somewhat darkish light hearted comedy? lol) anyways....I'm not quite up to spending the 20 bucks for season 2 lol....any suggestions (I have Amazon Prime and Netflix access)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
So...any tv show suggestions? I'm kind of feeling in the mood for a more light-hearted comedy...just binge-watched the first season of The Good Place (I guess it's a somewhat darkish light hearted comedy? lol) anyways....I'm not quite up to spending the 20 bucks for season 2 lol....any suggestions (I have Amazon Prime and Netflix access)
Archer if you want animated, white collar if you don't.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

I just finished The Ranch. It's about a guy (Ashton Kutcher) in his 30's who finally gives up on his semi-pro football career and goes back home to work the family ranch with his dad (Sam Elliot) and brother (Danny Masterson).

It's a mindless and entertaining sitcom. Has a really good cast. Easy to watch.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well the nearest hospital is ~5 min walk (almost essentially across the street lol) (I actually walked right by it earlier today walking to/from the store haha) but isn't there a study saying more Uber trips decreased 911 activations?
https://www.indystar.com/amp/966441001

(Btw after 48hrs on Honolulu ambulances.....I really kinda wish I was an EMT out here instead of in LA for 5 years lol)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Archer if you want animated, white collar if you don't.

I just finished The Ranch. It's about a guy (Ashton Kutcher) in his 30's who finally gives up on his semi-pro football career and goes back home to work the family ranch with his dad (Sam Elliot) and brother (Danny Masterson).

haha Archer, almost forgot about them....I think I remember catching up to that Archer Vice season before I hit a pay wall and stopped watching? Can always catch up again! I saw a similar show, very similar animation, similar concept, it's an Australian police squad a la CSI except the whole squad is bumbling idiots...it was kind of funny but a bit weird I guess, if I can remember the name I'll link it (I only watched one episode)

911 is not the number for Uber Jim....
hmm...never heard of this one, I'll check it out.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm...got my quoting all messed up earlier, this:
hmm...never heard of this one, I'll check it out.
was meant for this lol: