the 100% directionless thread

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Lemme tell you young pups something, It's the body that gets old, my mind is still stuck somewhere between puberty and about 22 or 23, when I realized I wasn't bullet proof or immortal. Take care of your bod and you can get a lot of miles out of it.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Within the next few years, we'll see the first Soldiers enlisting who weren't even born yet on 9/11....
Next year they will have been born the year I graduated high school.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I made my entrance in this world on the winter solstice this year. I am most definitely still a child, I just disguise it with facial hair so people think I know what I'm doing.

I'm just about a month younger than you. I've been an adult for years now, though. ;)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So these appeared on our units, apparently out of no where while we were on our 4 day...
20170517_074013.jpg

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
So these appeared on our units

Interesting choice...I would have gone with something that says "Medic, Please Don't Shoot" in big bold reflective letters.

Side note - nursing, is it a fun field? I get the sense more and more that it...is not.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Side note - nursing, is it a fun field? I get the sense more and more that it...is not.

Nursing is such a broad profession with so many opportunities that you can find a job that you enjoy. For me things like ICU, OR, Cath lab, Flight have always been fun and exciting whereas anything non-critical like floor nursing is torture. For some people getting out of the hospital and working at a school, home health, clinic is for them. But just like any other profession it has its drawbacks. Most places are constantly overworked and understaffed, you spend 3x the time charting then actually taking care of patients, you are slowed down by management that is unrealistic and disconnected, etc.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So these appeared on our units, apparently out of no where while we were on our 4 day...
do they come with an o **** button. or a boom device?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Define "fun"?

Nursing is such a broad profession with so many opportunities that you can find a job that you enjoy. For me things like ICU, OR, Cath lab, Flight have always been fun and exciting whereas anything non-critical like floor nursing is torture. For some people getting out of the hospital and working at a school, home health, clinic is for them. But just like any other profession it has its drawbacks. Most places are constantly overworked and understaffed, you spend 3x the time charting then actually taking care of patients, you are slowed down by management that is unrealistic and disconnected, etc.

Fun was probably the wrong word. I was thinking, you know, intellectually stimulating and consistently different in terms of what you're doing day to day - sounds like critical care-type or flight nursing is about right for that. How long have you been doing flight nursing, @Chase?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Fun was probably the wrong word. I was thinking, you know, intellectually stimulating and consistently different in terms of what you're doing day to day - sounds like critical care-type or flight nursing is about right for that. How long have you been doing flight nursing, @Chase?

IMO Critical Care nursing is about as intellectually stimulating as you can get. Especially in a unit that is protocol driven like many CTICUs where you are constantly drawing labs and replacing electrolytes, blood products, anticoagulants, etc, interpreting swans, and then responsible for titrating drips and weaning vents. On-top of managing the various devices and basic patient care. It can be very intense and mentally demanding. I have been flying for about 8 months now.

I always like to post a picture like this. This is the ultimate practice in critical thinking, prioritization, and organization.
InnerBanner-4696-6963-2969.jpg

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
This next part of my life is going to be pretty complicated. Stress for days. And by days I mean months.