the 100% directionless thread

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I'd believe that as far as handling goes, that's for sure! (I don't think the Suburban weighs nearly as much as a Type I or Type III ambulance, though)

Weight no. But you have to take the turns nearly the same, maybe a hair faster in a suburban but honestly not much. Police spec adds so much extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
What day are the the J-turns, P.I.T. Maneuver and M4 shooting while driving?

I want to come to that day.

Your looking for Feds. That's some secret service type ish. We do all those but apart from each-other lol. Jturns are fun af to practice

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Weight no. But you have to take the turns nearly the same, maybe a hair faster in a suburban but honestly not much. Police spec adds so much extra weight.

Makes sense to me. (I've never driven a Suburban L&S, just an Expedition, but it should be fairly similar.)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I heard CEVO has a new training series for ambulance operators.

The Israeli "lavan" (literally "white", functionally "BLS") ambulances are actually pretty cool looking!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Makes sense to me. (I've never driven a Suburban L&S, just an Expedition, but it should be fairly similar.)
Is the same-ish course i had to take, this is basic EVOC, advanced is with reversing, and j-turning and all that jazz.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I have never taken ambulance EVOC if thats a thing, i have taken normal, and advance EVOC for LE, and in all honesty, driving a police spec suburban(especially state level) is not entirely that far off from a ambulance.

Depending on who you work for it may or may not be a thing. My EVOC was 3 days, 2 in the classroom and 1 out on the track. My dad (LEO) spent like 2 weeks or a week (I forget) in EVOC as its more extensive.

We're going away from the type II "vanbulances" and are transitioning to type III "mods". With me you can throw me in whatever and I'm comfortable driving it. There is quite the noticeable difference between the type II's and III's. Not only weight, but handling, and vehicle dimensions. I could see a suburban coming close to a type II, but I can't imagine its a top heavy as a ambulance. After all the extra police gear the weigh probably isn't all that far off.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Depending on who you work for it may or may not be a thing. My EVOC was 3 days, 2 in the classroom and 1 out on the track. My dad (LEO) spent like 2 weeks or a week (I forget) in EVOC as its more extensive.

We're going away from the type II "vanbulances" and are transitioning to type III "mods". With me you can throw me in whatever and I'm comfortable driving it. There is quite the noticeable difference between the type II's and III's. Not only weight, but handling, and vehicle dimensions. I could see a suburban coming close to a type II, but I can't imagine its a top heavy as a ambulance. After all the extra police gear the weigh probably isn't all that far off.
suburbans are not top heavy, its just the clusterfck of a safe in the back isn't weighted properly, so the L-R weight distribution is probably dam near 60-40, if not 55-45. Which makes turning sharply rather hellish. I'm the same, i can drive dam near anything, was debating getting my CDL for shts and giggles.
For NYS Police: Basic EVOC
"The Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (EVOC) is a 100-hour driver training program that provides Basic School recruits with the special driving skills required to operate a vehicle under very demanding police patrol conditions. Students are first tested for visual acuity, glare recovery and reaction time, then receive classroom and hands-on driver training in two phases:"

"Instruction includes training in controlled braking, curved and straight backing-up, serpentine, skid pan, police turns, parallel parking, crash avoidance techniques and precision driving skills"
Source for Epi: https://troopers.ny.gov/Academy/EVOC/ :D

CALEMT

I just liked it because I got to do everything you want to do in your personal vehicle without doing any damage to your vehicle. I mean who doesn't want to floor the rig and slam on the brakes?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I just liked it because I got to do everything you want to do in your personal vehicle without doing any damage to your vehicle. I mean who doesn't want to floor the rig and slam on the brakes?
The folks in the back :rolleyes::p:cool:. joking lol

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If anyone in the Sacramento region is interested, today the Sheriff's Department just revamped their CCW issuance process. Now new applicants get a credit card sized license with room for 5 firearms instead of 3 on a larger laminated rice paper thing that looks pretty fake... and most of the process is done online now! Way to go Sheriff Scott Jones!!!!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
3f3237c4018e96deda90893625d57092.jpg

Came home to this today :)!!!! Fiancé doing ribs in her chili sauce. It's great to be engaged to a chef :D!

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Is the same-ish course i had to take, this is basic EVOC, advanced is with reversing, and j-turning and all that jazz.

Takes me back to the good old days when we were chasing both dope and human smugglers. With them the odds were they were gonna bail out and you needed to catch the driver, because he was the guy that was going to be prosecuted, everyone else was held as a material witness. Driving the ambulance has certain similarities, but really nothing like those mega adrenaline shots of a high speed chase.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Takes me back to the good old days when we were chasing both dope and human smugglers. With them the odds were they were gonna bail out and you needed to catch the driver, because he was the guy that was going to be prosecuted, everyone else was held as a material witness. Driving the ambulance has certain similarities, but really nothing like those mega adrenaline shots of a high speed chase.
are you a spy :p lol. Nah i get what you mean. New cars are stupidly fast lol.

CALEMT

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My name is Old Tracker, I used to be a spy until...

Oooh ooh I know!!! Until they found a new tracker???

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I love how my fiancé works for a sinus clinic, and I have a sinus infection. [emoji19]

Trying to decide if I want to call out to the first 8 hours of my 48 that's starts tomorrow or just suck it up and deal with it.

Wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have to pick her up from the airport that's an hour away from our apartment at like midnight tonight then have to be up at 0530.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Go to urgent care now, get a shot of 8mg of Decadron and a script for Augmentin. Pick up a NetiPot at the Pharm too.

You'll feel like a new man in the morning.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
My name is Old Tracker, I used to be a spy until...

Nah, nothing like that. Almost 11 years in the Navy, was a street cop for about 4 1/2 months and went into the Border Patrol for 3 years before switching to what used to be Customs Office of Investigations and is now ICE. Now I are an EMT-B. This is why you should try to run from the cops with a high center of gravity vehicle. That was about 2,500 lbs of weed.

03-01-2010123941.jpg