the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For medics they got rid of the written test. You walk in off the street and do a skills test. If you pass you go directly to interviews. It's bad

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Interview day, orientation day, and you have to commit to both weekends all 3 days

Can employees from near-by divisions take part (ie. Los Angeles)? Is the process any different?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
For medics they got rid of the written test. You walk in off the street and do a skills test. If you pass you go directly to interviews. It's bad

It's sheer idiocy. AMR's testing is archaic, they haven't changed their template in years. It never goes beyond the EMS school tests, and these adhere 100% to the National Registry standards. Some people 'fail' the skills part solely because they chose a pocket mask over the BVM at the CPR station, and the scenarios are just as bad. AMR in LACo should either get with the times, or just abolish this stupidity just like the rest of the counties did.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Can employees from near-by divisions take part (ie. Los Angeles)? Is the process any different?
Negative. It's only open to AMR Riverside county. There has been talk about having medics come from San Bernardino county but no plans set in motion yet

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's sheer idiocy. AMR's testing is archaic, they haven't changed their template in years. It never goes beyond the EMS school tests, and these adhere 100% to the National Registry standards. Some people 'fail' the skills part solely because they chose a pocket mask over the BVM at the CPR station, and the scenarios are just as bad. AMR in LACo should either get with the times, or just abolish this stupidity just like the rest of the counties did.
The medic written test is several years old but far from a hard test to pass. It still has a lot of current information. The only medication that was still in the test that is not routinely used is Lasix, however every single medic school still teaches what Lasix is. It's sad that so many medics are unable to pass such a basic test.

Why not use the national template that is widely accepted as an entrance test? Skills like OPA insertion and trauma assessments (2 of my AMR EMT skills) don't vary much. EKG recognition, IV start, medication math, IO, megacode, and a medical assessment (what I had for AMR Medic testing) were based off of either AHA/national/or county protocols.

For our area people do not fail because they used the pocket mask instead of the BVM. They fail because they can not pass the basic skills that are required to be a medic or an EMT.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
The medic test is several years old but far from a hard test to pass. It's sad that so many medics are unable to pass such a basic test.

Why not use the national template that is widely accepted as an entrance test? Skills like OPA insertion and trauma assessments (2 of my AMR EMT skills) don't vary much. EKG recognition, IV start, medication math, IO, megacode, and a medical assessment (what I had for AMR Medic testing) were based off of either AHA/national/or county protocols.

For our area people do not fail because they used the pocket mask instead of the BVM. They fail because they can not pass the basic skills that are required to be a medic or an EMT.

I'm not disagreeing with you. If there's one thing that EMTs and medics share everywhere, it's leniency/complacency. It's hardly news that 90% let their skills and knowledge degrade over time.

It's hard for me to understand how people choose to remain EMTs for longer than a year or so - just about as hard to understand how easily they forget the basics.

Still doesn't mean that making people take outdated tests proves anything.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
So who are our Texas peeps here? I have to hit CONUS next month and I'm considering either:
Bounce into Miami, chill a day, drive the keys, bounce to either Bahamas/ Grand Cayman/ WhatevaIsOnSale before back. Or fly into Dallas, drive to San Antonio, continue to Houston, New Orleans with a pitstop in Biloxi. Yes, there are Hard Rock Cafe's involved...

Looking to hit a "live scan" facility for the stamped FBI check, that works with an apostille service, preferably electronically and to set it up in advance to get it sent to State and then an embassy. Plus other ideas on places to stay and run amok at.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Scrimshaw Pilsner, ahhh, perhaps the West Coaster in me, nonetheless, deliciousness...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Cool, so in addition to starting backgrounds at North Las Vegas, still in background limbo at LA City, I just got the email saying I'm on the list to be scheduled for the Physical Ability Test at Honolulu Fire :)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I need to stay awake. Meth is easy to score down here, but I don't want the meth teeth. I need a good coke dealer. Anybody got any references?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I need to stay awake. Meth is easy to score down here, but I don't want the meth teeth. I need a good coke dealer. Anybody got any references?

I hear there's this Cuban in Miami that can help you with your problem. Just don't say hello to his little friend.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Well, it's becoming more official. Have MEPS tomorrow to do my physical and to sign my papers to join the US Army Reserves. :eek: It looks like i'll be shipping out to Missouri October 3rd and spending about 5 months there for training. :confused:

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, it's becoming more official. Have MEPS tomorrow to do my physical and to sign my papers to join the US Army Reserves. :eek: It looks like i'll be shipping out to Missouri October 3rd and spending about 5 months there for training. :confused:
Good luck and remember everything is yes drill SGT and be glad it's October and not summer time.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
October will definitely feel better than July did.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Psh the 90s called, they want their drugs back...Find a college kid and score some Adderall/Vyvanse/Concerta

Good luck and remember everything is yes drill SGT and be glad it's October and not summer time.

Going to The Wood?