the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Lol, does AMR really offer temp gigs for festivals these days?

There are a dozen things I would like to do at a Coachella type event, none of which include working a stand by in a tent or on a golf cart. Good to know though, I miss AMR from time to time for various reasons

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief

There are a dozen things I would like to do at a Coachella type event, none of which include working a stand by in a tent or on a golf cart. Good to know though, I miss AMR from time to time for various reasons
Probably cheaper than paying OT for their current employees.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Drat. No Cali card. It would be amusing to use my leave from here to go be at a festival and be paid for it. Even if it was Californistan.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

It is such a huge amount of employees that are needed for the events. We use employees from our division who volunteer for it and employees from 2 other divisions to staff it. In addition to it we still have to hire 20-35 temp EMTs to full staff the event. For Coachella we had something like 14 foot patrols staffed B/B, ~5 BLS tents staffed B/B/B, shuttle carts staffed B/B usually, ~8 ALS carts staffed M/B, and our main tents who have at least 2 Basics in them.

The temp positions are for data entry personnel and EMTs. Medics are all employed with AMR. The nurses are all AMR CCT nurses. And the doctors are all contracted out.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I attended a Coachella festival many years ago, and don't recall seeing their workforce this present at the event aside from the occasional golf cart crew, and a (then) CDF fire engine.

Has the staffing always been this prevalent, or is it something that's grown over the years along with the festival?

Either way, that's impressive.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I attended a Coachella festival many years ago, and don't recall seeing their workforce this present at the event aside from the occasional golf cart crew, and a (then) CDF fire engine.

Has the staffing always been this prevalent, or is it something that's grown over the years along with the festival?

It's grown over the years.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

At first the contract was held by Symons Event Safety. There were a lot of issues with it so AMR took over the contract (I don't know how many years AMR has had it now). Each year the attendance goes up so we require more staff. Desert Trip is 75k-80k attendees not including the support staff/security/etc. Coachella next year is looking to be around 125k attendees.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Interesting. Yeah, when I attended it was already AMR. Lol, I haven't heard Symons Ambulance in quite some time; our old scheduler used to be some sorta manager for that place.

I believe Coachella was only a 3-day weekend event, and was held in June. Last I checked it's been extended to a week? And the month moved up if I am not mistaken. This is probably for the best. It was a sweltering inferno.

Either way, it doesn't sound like an event that a company the size of Symons would be able to handle for very long.

Side note: I looked up the Desert Trip festival and it looks like it has a pretty sweet line up.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Interesting. Yeah, when I attended it was already AMR. Lol, I haven't heard Symons Ambulance in quite some time; our old scheduler used to be some sorta manager for that place.

I believe Coachella was only a 3-day weekend event, and was held in June. Last I checked it's been extended to a week? And the month moved up if I am not mistaken. This is probably for the best. It was a sweltering inferno.

Either way, it doesn't sound like an event that a company the size of Symons would be able to handle for very long.

Side note: I looked up the Desert Trip festival and it looks like it has a pretty sweet line up.
The Coachella event has been a total of 6 days for several years now.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Just got this book in today. Can't wait to dive in. Also pretty cool my program is on the cover.:cool:

1449642586.jpg

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Just got this book in today. Can't wait to dive in. Also pretty cool my program is on the cover.:cool:

1449642586.jpg
I am pretty sure this is the book my phase 4 preceptor has. I flipped to a random page and was already seeing stuff I had never heard of.

VentMonkey

Family Guy

1449642586.jpg
We used this book for the Creighton CCP course. Dry at times in my opinion, but also full of solid critical care material.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
It is such a huge amount of employees that are needed for the events. We use employees from our division who volunteer for it and employees from 2 other divisions to staff it. In addition to it we still have to hire 20-35 temp EMTs to full staff the event. For Coachella we had something like 14 foot patrols staffed B/B, ~5 BLS tents staffed B/B/B, shuttle carts staffed B/B usually, ~8 ALS carts staffed M/B, and our main tents who have at least 2 Basics in them.

The temp positions are for data entry personnel and EMTs. Medics are all employed with AMR. The nurses are all AMR CCT nurses. And the doctors are all contracted out.

HMM....I wondering if I would have to take time off from work up here to work down there???

CALEMT

EMT2015

Forum Captain
You forgot test day. Written test and a skills test.

Grrr...darn, don't think I have enough PTO to cover that. Wish I could just transferred there for those days.

CALEMT