the 100% directionless thread

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Hmm the Google voice to text actually isn't half bad for transcribing a narrative. Now to figure out the easiest way to get it transferred over to a chart
So Google voice to text won't let you copy and paste? Or is it the chart system will not allow you to do that? Either way, perhaps you are onto something that will make things a little easier and hopefully the Google voice to text system wont to hang onto previous dictation information.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So Google voice to text won't let you copy and paste? Or is it the chart system will not allow you to do that? Either way, perhaps you are onto something that will make things a little easier and hopefully the Google voice to text system wont to hang onto previous dictation information.
We use ESO, and it won't open up on an android.device because it's silverlight based. But I figured I can just dictate it in an email and.just send it to myself.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmm the Google voice to text actually isn't half bad for transcribing a narrative. Now to figure out the easiest way to get it transferred over to a chart

OMG, why didn't I think of this!? Always see doctors doing it this way in the ED. I'm definitely going to experiment with this. Maybe dictate it on your phone, then email it to yourself, or send it to yourself via your internal company network messaging system (if you have one), copy/paste into ePCR?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wish we could do that. The copy and paste function is disabled on the computers and I haven't been able to open email accounts on the computers.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wish we could do that. The copy and paste function is disabled on the computers and I haven't been able to open email accounts on the computers.
The keyboard shortcuts should still work unless your division does things different. Ctrl+c for copy, Ctrl+v for paste.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just one small word of caution: when you're dictating text to any sort of electronic device, just make sure that you proofread what you just dictated. Over the past few weeks, I have noted that there were some rather interesting mistakes in the discharge notes to patients that physicians have dictated to them… And apparently were not caught during the proofread! Right now, I am using Dragon NaturallySpeaking V. 13 and for the most part it works generally well. Every once in a while it does mistake one spoken word for another so I have to retrain it and correct it so that it will choose the correct word that I spoke. This system does learn from you as you speak and correct it.

Just remember to keep a very close watch on what was dictated so that you don't inadvertently write something in your chart that wasn't intended. Also I believe that on most of the dictated charts, there is a line that says that the chart was dictated using a version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and there may be occasional transcription errors.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Just one small word of caution: when you're dictating text to any sort of electronic device, just make sure that you proofread what you just dictated. Over the past few weeks, I have noted that there were some rather interesting mistakes in the discharge notes to patients that physicians have dictated to them… And apparently were not caught during the proofread!
My favorite is this ED note. Multitasking a little too hard there.
dragon_fail_pna.jpg

Serious question, though: is dictating that much faster/easier than typing?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Im eligible to promote on May 31, and it sounds like they're trying to get all my stuff done so I can promote on time

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wow I do really like The Woodlands area... And it looks like MCHD runs 911 up here

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
A friend offered to give me his old stethoscope and BP cuff that he had left over from nursing school. I figured that it'd be a cheap drugstore brand, but my current steth was damaged, so I said that I'd take it. He pulls out a Littman Cardiology III in the box with all the replacement parts. :D Had my eye on that model, but it was juuuust little outside of my current budget.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wow I think my ambulance is going to float away

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm having an attack of whakerism, thinking about buying my own bp cuff kit lol. The ones we stock in the rigs are a bit older and cheaper basic models with the two tube design...I've used the single tube design before (where the guage and the pump are all in one piece) and I've really liked those, much easier to use IMO. I don't wanna buy a cheap one that'll just break or lose calibration and give me wonky numbers, nor do I wanna pay a fortune for something simple lol Kinda like buying a steth, I want something a little nicer than the bare bones models stocked by work, but don't need a super fancy cardiology 6000 or something lol

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So my Mom's laptop automatically updated to Windows 10, so guess who got drafted into walking her through it including using Edge (Microsoft's replacement for Internet Explorer), downloading and using Chrome to access her email and download an attachment and opening it up in Word and.....lol