the 100% directionless thread

Chest pain/ SOB call in the local park today, pt was sitting on a very steep hill. When the medic was getting a 12 lead, I accidentally bumped the monitor and it rolled 40 feet down the hill. Probably the dumbest thing that I've done in a while.:confused:

Chest pain/ SOB call in the local park today, pt was sitting on a very steep hill. When the medic was getting a 12 lead, I accidentally bumped the monitor and it rolled 40 feet down the hill. Probably the dumbest thing that I've done in a while.:confused:
Way to be lol

Our area is opening up scholarships for interlal FT personnel for paramedic at NCTI. I better get started writing the essay. Only thing holding me back was the cost.

Our area is opening up scholarships for interlal FT personnel for paramedic at NCTI. I better get started writing the essay. Only thing holding me back was the cost.
Plan on staying here for 3 years as a full time medic?

Aku already stated it. MICNs are the nurses we talk to when we do radio call ins to the hospital. We are not able to receive orders from any other nurse. When we need a base hospital order for something that order will get cleared through the MICN and sometimes the doctor (depends on what the order is).

The MICNs have to know the protocols for EMS providers in their area so they know what we have, what they can approve, and what needs to go to the doctor for approval.

I would much rather talk to the doctor when we do call ins but it is rare when we actually talk to the doctor.
There is a small bit of intelligence built into the MICN/Base Hospital contact system... usually. There usually is a provision where if you cannot make base contact, you may implement those orders that you would otherwise make contact to get permission to implement. You then generally have to advise the base hospital of what you did once you're able to make contact and write a report about what happened and as long as it's something you didn't create (like forgetting the radio or cell phone in the truck) all is good... if you can justify why you did the "extra" stuff.

Back when I last worked in Sacramento County (oh, so long ago...) there also was an odd provision whereby interfacility providers could enter into an agreement with the county to utilize the entire protocol manual in an off-line manner. IIRC, there were 3 or 4 options... you could use the "regular" base hospital system, you could enter into an agreement to exclusively use a single base hospital, or you could go entirely off-line. One of the companies I worked for chose the latter and we also had an agreement where we could also monitor K+ drips up to 20 mEq/L, which was also non-standard for the time. So... we basically never had to call-in for orders unless we actually reached the end of a protocol and there was nothing further if we were doing an IFT. If we were doing any kind of regular scene call, we had to use the regular base hospital system. Fortunately, like the regular 911 system, we rarely had to call in for orders...

There is a small bit of intelligence built into the MICN/Base Hospital contact system... usually. There usually is a provision where if you cannot make base contact, you may implement those orders that you would otherwise make contact to get permission to implement. You then generally have to advise the base hospital of what you did once you're able to make contact and write a report about what happened and as long as it's something you didn't create (like forgetting the radio or cell phone in the truck) all is good... if you can justify why you did the "extra" stuff.

Back when I last worked in Sacramento County (oh, so long ago...) there also was an odd provision whereby interfacility providers could enter into an agreement with the county to utilize the entire protocol manual in an off-line manner. IIRC, there were 3 or 4 options... you could use the "regular" base hospital system, you could enter into an agreement to exclusively use a single base hospital, or you could go entirely off-line. One of the companies I worked for chose the latter and we also had an agreement where we could also monitor K+ drips up to 20 mEq/L, which was also non-standard for the time. So... we basically never had to call-in for orders unless we actually reached the end of a protocol and there was nothing further if we were doing an IFT. If we were doing any kind of regular scene call, we had to use the regular base hospital system. Fortunately, like the regular 911 system, we rarely had to call in for orders...
San Bernardino county (ICEMA) has protocols built in for radio contact failure. REMS (Riverside county) does not have anything of the sort that I am aware of.

San Bernardino county (ICEMA) has protocols built in for radio contact failure. REMS (Riverside county) does not have anything of the sort that I am aware of.
Some systems do NOT allow Paramedics to progress past a particular point in the protocols without approval from a base hospital, regardless of circumstance. Sacramento County does have certain parts of the protocols that (unless working under entirely offline protocol agreements) a Paramedic may not continue past that point, even under a comm failure situation... but it's expected that you'd likely never progress to that point anyway without being able to make it to a place where you can make base contact. Riverside EMS probably is similar in that regard. I haven't looked at their policies/protocols but that's my guess anyway, if they have a stop/no go point without base contact.

Plan on staying here for 3 years as a full time medic?

Yeah, it's worth it to me as I'm already planning on staying at minimum another two, so free schooling for one or two more years here isn't that bad.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a Galaxy S7. I called corporate in Florida and got a really good deal through Verizon. I had to sign a two year contract, but I've been with Verizon for a long time so that was a no-brainer. I can't wait till it gets here! :D

image.png
@Chimpie you makin me feel all famous on da IG. All those likes tho.

You know you got a regular pt when you can fill in 90% of a pcr before you hit the door.

You know that you've been working to many days in a row when you go to enter your gas pin and miles instead of your zip code when fueling up your vehicle...

@Tigger Haha... didn't know that was you.
I expect preferential regrann treatment!

Also it's snowing again and I'm back on tomorrow. Perfect week for 108 hours, just swellll.

Last edited:
Back