the 100% directionless thread

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
A 1500-0300 shift, got a call @ 0228, cleared it @ 0505, had an hour+ drive back to station and about 1/2 way there responded to a MCI. Five vehicles, busy freeway, we're the 1st on scene, 1 casualty, airbags deployed but no facial/head trauma, complains of neck pain and LUE pain. Started extricating him with a KED and 2 engines roll up, take my report, say 'let's wait for medics'. Medics roll up 2 minutes later, say 'oh he ambulates ?', rip off the c-collar, put him on a chair and take him away. ****ing fire... Clocked out @ 0630.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
OT.jpg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Meanwhile we just had ringing bells here at my hotel just now (must be a firefighters equivalent of the most BLS of BLS "I don't feel well, I wanna go to the hospital by ambulance so I don't have to wait in line at the ER" lol)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know what is with me this semester, but I keep forgetting these damn online quizzes we have. Really need to get back on track and better organized.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
We just had a MICN rider for 8 hours today. Always feels nice when they say "you guys start IVs while you are moving?!"
Sadly, that 8 hour ride every other year (maybe) is about all the actual field work the MICN may get...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sadly, that 8 hour ride every other year (maybe) is about all the actual field work the MICN may get...
Our new MICNs have to do 16 hours before they are able to work as a MICN. I have no idea how many hours per year they need to have (I've only ever seen new MICNs in the field).

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Our new MICNs have to do 16 hours before they are able to work as a MICN. I have no idea how many hours per year they need to have (I've only ever seen new MICNs in the field).
Wow! I'm impressed that your new MICNs get 16 hours. Really! That's 2x more than I've seen recently. Usually you'll find the MICN requirements in the same area of the policies that you find a Paramedic's accreditation.

I just looked up Kern County's MICN policy and they require an 8 hour class along with 16 hours of ride time before an RN is certified as an MICN. However, as much as I have searched, there doesn't appear to be any provision for an MICN to function in the field nor is there any mention (that I could find) of how to deal with other medical providers in the field... except physicians and that seems to be simply requiring the Doc to be hands off unless the Doc accompanies the patient to the hospital.

Everywhere I've worked there's at least a provision for an MICN to do ALS care in the field alongside a Paramedic.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
@DesertMedic66 and @Akulahawk

MICN.....I gather that's a California thing? Is it just a prehospital credential for RN's, similar to Pennsylvania's PHRN?
MICN = Mobile Intensive Care Nurse.

Yeah, it's a California thing, not quite similar to a Pennsylvania PHRN. The PHRN is more like a way for an RN to function as a Paramedic, using the same protocols without requiring the RN to go through an entire EMTP course. The MICN isn't usually "mobile" other than that movement necessary to reach the Base Hospital Radio. They're instructed in prehospital protocols and may authorize Paramedics to implement standing orders in the protocols where those protocols state "must make Base Contact before proceeding" or something along those lines. They do (usually) 8 hours ride time on an ALS ambulance mostly to familiarize the MICN with the realities of prehospital care. The MICN may be allowed to implement ALS therapies in the field either with Base Hospital approval on a case by case basis or by protocol but usually isn't allowed to provide patient care direction in the field.

Flight Nurses may also be certified as an MICN but they function in a different capacity and usually are treated differently, usually under a "most medically qualified" provision in policies where multiple agencies are involved.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
MICN = Mobile Intensive Care Nurse.

Yeah, it's a California thing, not quite similar to a Pennsylvania PHRN. The PHRN is more like a way for an RN to function as a Paramedic, using the same protocols without requiring the RN to go through an entire EMTP course. The MICN isn't usually "mobile" other than that movement necessary to reach the Base Hospital Radio. They're instructed in prehospital protocols and may authorize Paramedics to implement standing orders in the protocols where those protocols state "must make Base Contact before proceeding" or something along those lines. They do (usually) 8 hours ride time on an ALS ambulance mostly to familiarize the MICN with the realities of prehospital care. The MICN may be allowed to implement ALS therapies in the field either with Base Hospital approval on a case by case basis or by protocol but usually isn't allowed to provide patient care direction in the field.

Flight Nurses may also be certified as an MICN but they function in a different capacity and usually are treated differently, usually under a "most medically qualified" provision in policies where multiple agencies are involved.

Ugh. It is much worse than I feared.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
@DesertMedic66 and @Akulahawk

MICN.....I gather that's a California thing? Is it just a prehospital credential for RN's, similar to Pennsylvania's PHRN?
Aku already stated it. MICNs are the nurses we talk to when we do radio call ins to the hospital. We are not able to receive orders from any other nurse. When we need a base hospital order for something that order will get cleared through the MICN and sometimes the doctor (depends on what the order is).

The MICNs have to know the protocols for EMS providers in their area so they know what we have, what they can approve, and what needs to go to the doctor for approval.

I would much rather talk to the doctor when we do call ins but it is rare when we actually talk to the doctor.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Great day of OT. Only one call, and it was a raging STEMI. Proximal LAD occlusion, and I was lucky enough to transport to the one local PCI facility that lets us bypass the ED on our stretcher and observe the catheterization if we choose to. Definitely a lot to learn from those folks in the cath lab.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Calls between 2:00 am and 4:30 am:

-"My wife locked me out"
-"I drank some juice and now I feel queazy"
-*PD cancelled as soon as we got there, stated system abuser that they were taking in*
-"I saw y'all drive by, so I wanted to go to the hospital too." For what? "Oh... I don't feel good..."

Sometimes I really hate being downtown.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Calls between 2:00 am and 4:30 am:

-"My wife locked me out"
-"I drank some juice and now I feel queazy"
-*PD cancelled as soon as we got there, stated system abuser that they were taking in*
-"I saw y'all drive by, so I wanted to go to the hospital too." For what? "Oh... I don't feel good..."

Sometimes I really hate being downtown.

Sounds just like Austin.