the 100% directionless thread

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Last week I had on the central air. This week the heat is on. Freakin Texas winters.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just finished a photo shoot with a local fixed wing program :) this photography thing is fun lol

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've had to buy uniforms for the new job, first time I've had to do that in forever. You get reimbursed at the end of each year, but the initial outlay is yours. Everything… and I mean EVERYTHING that they wear, is 5.11. And that stuff is expensive. 2 shirts, 2 pairs o' pants and a job shirt is close to 300 bucks.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
I've had to buy uniforms for the new job, first time I've had to do that in forever. You get reimbursed at the end of each year, but the initial outlay is yours. Everything… and I mean EVERYTHING that they wear, is 5.11. And that stuff is expensive. 2 shirts, 2 pairs o' pants and a job shirt is close to 300 bucks.
Does that include a yearly boot allowance?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

I had to do this when I got hired for the fire season. All in all I spent about 1,000 in uniforms. I got a uniform allowance for like 500 bucks (pretty much covers the cost for boots). It sucks to buy your own uniform, but it paid off for me in the long run.

BlueJayMedic

It's $500 a year, and I don't need boots. But, they actually expect you to buy uniforms and replace the crappy, torn and worn out stuff. So, it's not just free money.
Atleast they reimburse, always good to have fresh uniforms. I have never used 5.11 but I've heard good things. Our service makes us switch them out anytime the reflectors start to fade out which is often and can get annoying. I get the reasoning, just a pain to drive out of the way on a day off to get replacements. We're lucky with boot replacement though, $140 or $160 a year I think.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our initial fulltime uniform layout is over a grand. 3 shirts, 3 pants, 1 softshell, 1 goretex ANSI jacket, 1 windproof vest, 1 pair of boots, 5 t shirts, 1 ball cap, 1 beanie, and the other odds and ends. I am quite happy I got reimbursed immediately for those. We do not have an allowance, but rather a "you better be presentable 100% the time or the boss will murder you" type policy. Our office manager will reimburse you directly, so if you buy something stupid you're out of luck. We get new boots every two years but you can have winter and summer boots, so it's possible to get new boots every year.

I wish my hourly rate was higher, but the above is a pretty nice perk. We are more than allowed to wear the softshell, vest, and boots off duty so long as you don't affix patches and don't destroy them at an ungodly rate. Currently we use Mountain Hardware for a lot of that stuff, so I have no complaints.

BlueJayMedic

Our logistic's department provide us with everything, only the boots are out of pocket. We were able to buy a $30 golf shirt for fridays a couple of years ago but they have since changed that policy, they were replaced with coolmax material golf shirts for the summer. Everything needs to have circumferential reflective tape, top and bottom visible at all times only exception are our sweaters. We can have a toque and a tilly hat, which are ridiculously embarrassing, wish we had ball caps like some other services around here. The jackets are apparently super expensive, winter liner and shell exterior. Not sure what the cost of the total uniform comes to but I am glad its covered!!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This is getting close to being a topic :)

Back on the industrial dept, we received:
5 polo shirts, 5 khaki cargo pants
Winter Coat
Spring jacket

And then a yearly allowance for boots ($150-200, can't remember)

NomadicMedic

When at Sussex, we were issued everything. I had a closet full of flight suits, full class A and more...

It took me two trips to return it all.

Angel

Paramedic
ive been waiting for a uniform shirt for like 3 months.....
no boot allowance...no uniform allowance...i had to pay for the only sweater we are allowed to wear, and the "shell" jacket was found in the uniform closet and is too big...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
At hire, we were given a voucher to pick up our issue boots from the vendor, and another one to pick up our uniforms, 3 light blue shirts, 3 navy blue pants, 3 t-shirts a black leather belt, station jacket (zip up with liner). We were given our shoulder patches (the uniform voucher included sewing and name embroidering), helmet, brush coat and high viability vest. We get vouchers for a pair of boots and one more uniform set yearly. Everything else we have to buy. I made the mistake of getting two short sleeve and 1 long sleeve t-shirt..in the So Cal summer...So yeah, I've bought like 5 more pair of t-shirts as well as an additional uniform. I'm definitely thinking about buying a 5th uniform (since it's not terribly uncommon to find working OT 4 shifts in a row with all of a day off before the next scheduled day and so on)

BlueJayMedic

We can only add tools to the uniform, nothing else outside of whats described in policy. I feel as if we should have a policy for what you can wear on your belt as there are some pretty over to top bat-belts in our service... I am sure thats everywhere though..

NomadicMedic

I'll rock whatever they specify, but I'm NOT a fan of EMS specific pants. Too many pockets and stuff. I'd rather just wear some ripstop BDUs, a polo shirt and a radio strap.

Rin

Forum Captain
We're required to buy our embroidered shell jacket, two uniform shirts, and a hat from our employer, then purchase our boots and pants separately. No uniform allowance, no voucher, nothing free...and they actually have the nerve to try and take the jacket back (that you paid for out of your own pocket) when you stop working there.