TransportJockey

Forum Chief
c8494b7c4b9d601ad902c2d5027e037c.jpg

I love legos ;)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Didn't realize there were so many brown coats on here.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
So Everyone, I have a first for probably all of you, even the real salty ones!!!

Back Story, we are a Rural EMS Agency (ALS). This call is probably close to 25 miles outside of town up in the hills.

So No S*** There I was, Listening to our dispatch as another one of our units gets dispatched for a motor vehicle accident. So Everyone is going in route to it, and over our dispatch we hear one of our Air Ambulances come over the Air, saying we are returning to our base and flying over your county and we just flew over the car accident you guys are responding too. Do you want us to hang around and take the patient for you?

So I have heard of EMS Ground units jumping calls before, but I have never heard of an Air Ambulance trying to steal one of the ground crews calls haha

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Happens all the time with the CHP helicopter out here. If they hear the call go out, they'll also fly over towards it to help us locate and prevent people from running.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Happens all the time with the CHP helicopter out here. If they hear the call go out, they'll also fly over towards it to help us locate and prevent people from running.

Does CHP have Air Ambulances or are they just for Law Enforcement?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's staffed with a medic and a pilot, both LEO. It has ALS transport and hoist capabilities. On occasion it's only dual pilot staffed, at which point our AMR medic hops on and flies in.

Wouldn't want to be in it with a critical patient though, there's almost no room to work or perform any procedures.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's staffed with a medic and a pilot, both LEO. It has ALS transport and hoist capabilities. On occasion it's only dual pilot staffed, at which point our AMR medic hops on and flies in.

Wouldn't want to be in it with a critical patient though, there's almost no room to work or perform any procedures.
Pretty much this. My experience is that they are normally dual pilot staffed or just have an officer in the back. However every time I have used them they are only staffed to the BLS level (a good deal of CHPs are EMTs, and all are required to be EMRs).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

There are many helicopter crews flying out of AStars or similar sized aircraft here and it's not an issue. They hang around for a a bit in our rig getting done what needs to before we load them, which I've got no problem with since they'd still smoke us to the hospital. Plus who doesn't want be in back playing with the flight crew?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There are many helicopter crews flying out of AStars or similar sized aircraft here and it's not an issue. They hang around for a a bit in our rig getting done what needs to before we load them, which I've got no problem with since they'd still smoke us to the hospital. Plus who doesn't want be in back playing with the flight crew?
However due to the helicopter being for law enforcement there is a lot of their gear back there not counting medical equipment. They usually have some weapons, and different huge camera attachments that take up a lot of room.

The last rescue I was on with them there was only room for the patient to sit up in a seat and that was very interesting.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
However due to the helicopter being for law enforcement there is a lot of their gear back there not counting medical equipment. They usually have some weapons, and different huge camera attachments that take up a lot of room.

The last rescue I was on with them there was only room for the patient to sit up in a seat and that was very interesting.

That seems to be bar for the course, same helicopters are used here:
http://www.remsa-cf.com/employment.html

I don't see it being appropriate for a dedicated transport unit and IMO, should only be utilized if dedicated transport are unavailable or extended. Just because it "works" doesn't mean it's good at its job.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Something that I recall about the CHP helos is that I think they are technically classified as a "rescue" helicopter and not as an "air ambulance" because of the number of medical crew on board. There's usually one and from what I recall from the bowels of my memory and the fog of distant past, an "air ambulance" requires 2 medical crew where a rescue aircraft only requires one.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I'll be hanging out with Mannheim Steamroller today. And please don't ask who they are. Just google them or look them up on YouTube. ;)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'll be hanging out with Mannheim Steamroller today. And please don't ask who they are. Just google them or look them up on YouTube. ;)
Not bad...almost as good as tso ;)