the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Can anyone shed some light how common or uncommon having bloody sputum during an arrest is?

Had one a few days ago where after about 5-10 minutes of CPR the patient's airway started getting filled with saliva/blood (which required constant suctioning) The blood started to be more prevalent as the call progressed.

Unknown history 60 y/o M unwitnessed arrest. BLS airway management (OPA with BVM no advanced airway). Ended up calling it after about 30 minutes (conversion from V.Fib -> asystole -> PEA). Never really seen this one before. Any ideas?
Somewhat common, sometimes a product of good quality CPR.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So if you're Husky gets spooked and halfway scalps your elderly mother (poor thing), maybe don't take her POV the hospital if the sight of blood makes you pass out. Plowing into the guardrail with your profusely bleeding mother in front of the Sheriff's Office is just not a good look at all.

Luckily she was not hurt any worse, though it was by far the worst dog bite I've ever seen. She's going to the OR for her sutures...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I honestly have no clue. Dispatch phones were working fine. Our dispatch center is located about 60 miles away from our response area. We have a normal channel and a channel with a repeater that we use but nothing was working.

I'm not very knowledgeable with radio systems (I push a button and they turn on. If it doesn't work I'll turn it off and then back on).
Not to worry... most people aren't that into the nuts and bolts (and wires & electrons) about how stuff like that works. As long as there are people that are, and make it work, usually it's all good... ;)

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I no longer want to work a horrible schedule, with people who are burnt out and hate their job, no longer do I want to be the butt of my housemates jokes about how I am not seen for 6 days at a time because I am either at work or collapsed, I don't want to sleep for 15 hours and still feel like I haven't slept a wink, I am sick of feeling tired and having black circles under my eyes and I want a normal schedule, normal human interaction and normal human relationships and normal human pleasures including sex.

I have decided to find alternate employment. It is a shame because I like helping people, I like variety and I genuinely like the clinical problem solving but no longer am I prepared to watch life pass me by.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sounds like you're closing in on burnout yourself. While it's good to change the scenery every once in a while, make sure you don't bounce out of a job before you find one to bounce into. Sometimes that can make things, well, less than pleasant for a while.

One thing to remember... once you're into EMS and you've been around a while, it's hard to go back to "normal" because people like us clearly aren't... But at least we're not classified as a mental disorder or some kind of infectious disease...

Paramedic Incompositus. (Made it up... but it sounds good. ;) )

Reactions: Rin

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
If the dispatch radios are set up as a remote base, then audio and control could go via landline to the remote radios. If the system is setup such that even dispatch's radios are effectively just like field radios (on site) then they wouldn't be affected.

Given that the radios weren't working properly, I would suspect that the dispatch center was running some kind of remote setup requiring landlines to communicate with the radios.
That's exactly it. In our server room, we have a landline that's on 24/7 relaying the audio.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Nothing like having to go to the local Doc in a Box and be on the other side :/

If I could write myself my own Z-Pak I would.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
This is great. Started clinicals and vehiculars last week. I've been progressively getting sick(N&V, a killer head ache and really bad dizziness). Today I'm going to work and got a really bad bout of dizziness while at a stop light on my bike. My leg went out and I went down. I now have to do the remainder of clinicals and vehiculars in a cast, since I broke my tibia and the bone on the outer portion of my foot. Yeah... Oh and I also have no vehicle besides my bike and can't shift with my left foot....

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This is great. Started clinicals and vehiculars last week. I've been progressively getting sick(N&V, a killer head ache and really bad dizziness). Today I'm going to work and got a really bad bout of dizziness while at a stop light on my bike. My leg went out and I went down. I now have to do the remainder of clinicals and vehiculars in a cast, since I broke my tibia and the bone on the outer portion of my foot. Yeah... Oh and I also have no vehicle besides my bike and can't shift with my left foot....

That sucks, truly. And not to salt the wound, but why are you riding a motorcycle when you're dizzy? That's not particularly wise... Take care of yourself first.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I no longer want to work a horrible schedule, with people who are burnt out and hate their job, no longer do I want to be the butt of my housemates jokes about how I am not seen for 6 days at a time because I am either at work or collapsed, I don't want to sleep for 15 hours and still feel like I haven't slept a wink, I am sick of feeling tired and having black circles under my eyes and I want a normal schedule, normal human interaction and normal human relationships and normal human pleasures including sex.

I have decided to find alternate employment. It is a shame because I like helping people, I like variety and I genuinely like the clinical problem solving but no longer am I prepared to watch life pass me by.

Do you have an option to work in a different area?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
That sucks, truly. And not to salt the wound, but why are you riding a motorcycle when you're dizzy? That's not particularly wise... Take care of yourself first.
I knew it wasn't, but my ride to work bailed on me at the last minute. If I'm late more than once in the same week, I get my pay docked from $17 down to $8 for the next two weeks and I was late on weds.
I figured it was less than 2 miles and I didn't have time to call anyone else. Hindsight is 20/20...... Ha

Rin

Forum Captain

I don't know what kind of place you are/were working at, but maybe you'd be happier moving to the less stress environment of IFT for a while, or possibly going to part time or PRN.

I hate to see people slam doors in their own faces. Give yourself some space to make a decision with a clearer head, then do what makes you happy!

Jason

Medic
It's hard being in a job you can't enjoy or simply just don' t enjoy. And today, sometimes we can be stuck in a job we don't want or want anymore :(
Finding a new job can be very difficult and many people have to relocate to get new jobs.
To you, Clare: Best of Luck. I hope you find your happiness and your normalness. Keep in mind ... like Sparta ... We are a breed different from the rest ... a society within that strives for adrenaline, hope, helping, passion, and the wanting to be in the middle of the chaos. Don't give up quickly or too soon. Certainly take the time to learn and investigate what is out there for you.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Had a patient tell my partner last night that he must not of read the book on how to deal with women.

It's called 3 ways to tame a shrew.

1. Make them feel inferior
2. Keep the quiet
3. Make sure they know who is in charge.

Apparently he didn't like that I was the lead paramedic in charge lol

Last edited:

Rin

Forum Captain
Had a patient tell my partner last night that he must not of read the book on how to deal with women.

It's called 3 ways to tame a shrew.

1. Make them feel inferior
2. Keep the quiet
3. Make sure they know who is in charge.

Apparently he didn't like that I was the lead paramedic in charge lol

...violent feelings :mad:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Finally back in Texas, was fitted for all my gear today including a bullet proof vest because Austin is very dangerous ;) haha. Now to drive an hour one way for a CPR renewal class. It never ends!